1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

sound fishy to you?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by nd, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Mar 23, 2009 at 9:29 PM
    nd

nd [OP] Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    So i put my old TRD rims on craigslist today. it wasn't too long before i got a response asking if they were still available. i said they were. thena few hours later i get this response.....

Thank for the prompt response my secretary will process and mail a certified draft to cover the cost as am completely satisfied with it.I will need the details of whom & where to mail the payment
    1.Name to be on the check
    2.Home address
    3.Mobile #
    Please note 'United Parcel Service' do not deliver to P.O.Box addresses and i will not be mailing a draft to one.My mover will be coming over for the pick up right only after the payment as been delivered.Kindly delete the posting as am totally committed to buying from you to save cost,..Here is my relay phone # is (210) 209-8524 am deaf and will receive your phone messages via email ,regards

does that sound fishy to you guys at all? it does to me. i would prefer to do local pick up only. that way i get cash in hand and they get the rims. i am not shipping or sending anywhere until i get a check that has cleared. If the dude is actually deaf then that may account for why teh email doesn't sound right but i dont know. i cant put my finger on it but it just doesn't feel right in my gut for some reason. what do you guys think?

btw, i'm not taking the posting down until i have money in the bank

2. Mar 23, 2009 at 9:32 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
  3. Mar 23, 2009 at 9:33 PM
    05PreRunner

05PreRunner "Living life in the FAST lane..."

Member:
    <-(714)-> SO-CAL
    TRD intake, JBA "shorty" headers, URD y-pipe
    Definitely sounds like somethings up....but i guess i could be wrong...

4. Mar 23, 2009 at 9:33 PM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    scam

i've found with craigslist its worth taking your time and trying to have a convo via email.

5. Mar 23, 2009 at 9:38 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    scam for SURE. i've gotten VERY similar emails on other items..

6. Mar 23, 2009 at 9:38 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Definitely a scam. I've gotten 4 or 5 responses similar to that after i put my rims up for sale less than a week ago.

7. Mar 23, 2009 at 9:38 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the responses guys, i'm thinking scam too. i sent him an email back telling him the only way i will ship is if he pays for shipping and i have the check in the bank and ONLY then will i put them in the mail. So he'd have to trust me to be a stand up guy. if he does then i'll still think something is up, if he's not willing to do that then fuck it. i'd rather not go through the trouble of shipping anyway

8. Mar 23, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    what do they expect you to do? ship the rims and just trust you'll get your certified check? who would be dumb enough to do that? (besides canadians of course, those little bastards are so trusting)

9. Mar 23, 2009 at 9:45 PM
    fasn8dave

fasn8dave Hey guys watch THIS!

Member:
    Lewisville, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4
    3" Suspension Lift Custom Wheels 265 / 75 / 16 Nitto Terra Grappler Tires (32") Hard Bed Cover Front Bull Bar / Skid Plate Tinted Glass Header Mount GPS Billet Grille
    ..his mover... LOL

SCAM

He can save postage by giving CASH to his mover and meeting in a NEUTRAL location - like the POLICE STATION LOL

I hope you have good luck selling your rims...

10. Mar 23, 2009 at 9:46 PM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    i also got a lot of emails saying "hi, i'm brandon and i just turned 16 and my dad blah blah blah, basically can you do escro or another middle man service".

Like i said, start a convo via email. You'll be able to tell immediately if they are a legit person or not.

11. Mar 23, 2009 at 9:47 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    you should string him along...have him mail you a check...and ship him a box of completely useless crap...like a confetti cannon

12. Mar 23, 2009 at 9:47 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    these guys make fake checks that your bank will SOMETIMES actually deposit, and it could take weeks before you know that the check is bad. by then you've already shipped, or gave up the product.

when i was selling my old truck, i put it on craigs list, got a response like yours and said, well f*ck it, i'll play along. So i gave the guy my info, waited for the check. It looked like a legit check so i took it to the bank. told my bank i had suspicions that it was bad, so they called the issuing bank and it turned out to be a fake check..

13. Mar 23, 2009 at 9:59 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    That is definitely something I would do...but out of prank, not to try and cheat the bastard.
    Exactly why craigslist takes so long to sell something.

14. Mar 23, 2009 at 10:02 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    That cant be legitimate.

FWIW 210 is a San Antonio area code.

15. Mar 23, 2009 at 10:03 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    His "secretary" must be deaf too otherwise she'd answer the phone instead of it going to an email account.

I'd bet the check you get isn't worth the cost of the ink it took for the guy to print it

16. Mar 23, 2009 at 10:17 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    Course it is! I mean it took him the cost of the ink PLUS the cost of the paper! So it's worth more than just the cost of the ink it took to print it...

;) I'm just fuckin' with ya!

17. Mar 23, 2009 at 10:37 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    well, thanks for your input guys, you confirmed what i suspected when i first read that email. i'll see how he responds tomorrow and let you guys know what happens. nighty nighty :)

18. Mar 24, 2009 at 12:23 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    It's a scam. I'd ignore it or I'd tell him that I require two weeks for the check to clear. No immediate pickup will be available.

19. Mar 24, 2009 at 4:50 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    ND sounds like some Texan is trying to scam you man. :laugh:

20. Mar 24, 2009 at 4:56 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Had the same thing happen to me when I put mine on, after a day the price started being brought up all the time, wanted to know if I would go lower, shipping in price etc.
    Got tired of it and last e-mail I stated someone came over and purchased them, since you could not make up your mind, and you would not agree with my price.
    True I lied..........but the good news was hoosiertaco and I hook up and I gave him a deal on them.

Products Discussed in

To Top