Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Political mentality

Old 03-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Political mentality

I DID NOT intend to make another political thread, but I am sickened by the fact that ever since the election I have had to go around caampus seeing graffiti of obama face, symbols, trademarks, etc spray painted all over campus sidewalks and buildings. This was the one thing I hated being at college for the elections. The conservatives went around seeming like they were above everything and the liberals went around like Obama was an absolute Rockstar
Old 03-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
I DID NOT intend to make another political thread, but I am sickened by the fact that ever since the election I have had to go around caampus seeing graffiti of obama face, symbols, trademarks, etc spray painted all over campus sidewalks and buildings. This was the one thing I hated being at college for the elections. The conservatives went around seeming like they were above everything and the liberals went around like Obama was an absolute Rockstar
I am annoyed by this as well.
Obama is not the savior. I voted for him knowing that the next four years would be rough. Not a miracle.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRock View Post
I am annoyed by this as well.
Obama is not the savior. I voted for him knowing that the next four years would be rough. Not a miracle.
THANK YOU. See if majority of the college students had that mentality than I would not have been annoyed. But to stand outside every building for months leading up to the election and spray painting our BEAUTIFUL campus just got to me.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
Middle Age Member
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
From 2000-2006 the far right had the power, now the far left has it. Maybe someday the majority of Americans will be represented in Washington, those of us that are somewhere in between.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAC3TACO View Post
From 2000-2006 the far right had the power, now the far left has it. Maybe someday the majority of Americans will be represented in Washington, those of us that are somewhere in between.
You really consider W to be the far right?

He was more of a moderate... including the senators and congressman that held the majority...
Old 03-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't make this thread about my feelings about who is in washington or anytihng. Its just...I wish i had pictures of the shit they did to our campus
Old 03-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
Middle Age Member
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
You really consider W to be the far right?

He was more of a moderate... including the senators and congressman that held the majority...
As a social conservative he was far right, but as far as everything else, you are correct. Bush was a lot closer to the middle than Obama is. JMO.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
Middle Age Member

Quote:
I didn't make this thread about my feelings about who is in washington or anytihng. Its just...I wish i had pictures of the shit they did to our campus
Sorry about hijacking the thread. You are right about the graffiti, but at least people were passionate about the election. I for one am glad that people showed up to vote and that Americans care about elections again. They do need to leave the spray paint at home though.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
+1 to that. Most active campaign/election ever with TONS of emotion on all sides- Makes for bad decisions.

Seems like it's effected lots of things- Friendships, families, work.

All of the forums I've been on were nothing but back and forth bickering before the election. Now it's all posts about how great/bad he is...no one wants to talk about where the middle is. It's too bad that such a strong polarizing effect came from this election.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #10
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking about this the other day just in general terms. Regardless of what side you sit on, you can't deny that the system still works. There are many countries around the world- European ones included- that basically elect the same exact person over and over again. Yet here in the US, we went from having a person who most consider to be an extremely conservative President ( not sure if I agree with this) whom had to made some really difficult and often unpopular decisions to a person who many consider to be an extremely liberal president ( not sure if I agree with that statement either), and to top it off, he isn't white and strictly protestant. That the pendulum can swing both ways shows that the system setup over 200 years ago, where people can elect who they want and that person can be 360 degrees different from the previous president shows that democracy works here.

Sure- there's loads of conservatives that hate his guts. There was also an equally large group of liberals who hated Bush. It just comes to prove that if you don't like the current President, then the pendulum will swing back the other way sooner than later and you will get your way once again.

Lastly in regards to the OP's post, I too don't necessarily agree that presidents should be turned into icons. They have a job to do, which is running the country. Sure- its a good thing to show appreciation and approval- or disapproval. But there's a difference between this and making someone iconic.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #11
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
+1 to that. Most active campaign/election ever with TONS of emotion on all sides- Makes for bad decisions.

Seems like it's effected lots of things- Friendships, families, work.

All of the forums I've been on were nothing but back and forth bickering before the election. Now it's all posts about how great/bad he is...no one wants to talk about where the middle is. It's too bad that such a strong polarizing effect came from this election.

Which Is why I didnt make this with any political agenda. IT just got to me this morning when i was walking to class and had to step on a Big spray painted O on the sidewalk and stairs so I felt a little rank