1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moving - Internet - Comcast / CenturyLink UGH!!???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Janster, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Mar 22, 2014 at 2:17 AM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    We've lived in our current house for 16 or so years. We have Verizon DSL, Verizon cell phones and DirectTV (DVR) all bundled together on one bill. We've had this setup for close to 10 years and have been really happy with it. We went with DirectTV because Comcast kept raising their rates and we got tired of it......

We're moving into a new house next month and just discovered that Verizon doesn't cover our new house. It's Embarq/CenturyLink. WTF?? We're very very disappointed needing to change everything.

The thought of going back to Comcast and/or using CenturyLink is making us both ill.

The dilemma...... Our Verizon cell phones will stay the same and we don't need a home phone. We don't need blazing fast internet. DSL has been just fine (with Verizon anyway).

The dilemma?
    1) The costs involved with having separate or bundled carriers. Direct TV + DSL - VS - ALL Comcast.
    2) The overall quality of service, customer service, features, value, bla bla bla with using Comcast for everything and/or CenturyLink.

What will we need? DirectTV Whole Home DVR setup + DSL -VS- Comcast Xfinity for all. I don't know anything about Xfinity......but FEAR the price hikes.

Any feedback or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

We also have netflix, a roku box, playstation, 2 computers....ALL are linked together either by wifi or direct hookup. We also use Airplay. I'm not sure if all that has any affect on how things are hooked up or setup (my husband is the tech guy). But, we like having everything linked together!!

Thanks for the feedback!!
    Or, I could just keep DirectTV and get comcast internet only..... reading reviews....

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  2. Mar 22, 2014 at 4:18 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    I feel your pain. What an aggravation it was when we moved here trying to get things set up. Cable- not available, fios not available ...Verizon told us there was a waiting list for the dsl service and I thought I could just pick up where the previous owner left off but it didn't work that way. Plus I found it hard to talk with anyone who seemed to either care or had enough brains to be able to help me out but it did all work out. Personally I would ask the people who live in your new area what they feel is the best way to go

3. Mar 22, 2014 at 5:54 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    That's part of the problem. We want to get this decided on and/or setup before we close on the house. There's this certain 'etiquette' about not talking to the owners prior to closing.

My husband also needs to know how the house is wired up - which might make a huge difference in what we decide to do.

4. Mar 23, 2014 at 4:26 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    I think the etiquette of not talking to the owners is probably set forth by the real estate people who are afraid that if they are not in control of everything they might lose a sale if I hadn't talked to the owners before I closed I would have been hosed on my DSL good luck to you

5. Mar 23, 2014 at 6:07 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I've tried to convince my husband to contact the realtor to get some 'questions' answered...... but he hasn't felt comfortable to do it yet.

I would do it, but I can't cross that line - if you know what I mean. ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top