Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Gardening Thread- Show me your gardens!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2014, 06:18 AM   #41
RileySB
rileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Gen
rileySB's Tacoma Gallery
And here's what it looked like by June of '13

Great looking garden! I have a house but the yard is under mainly shade so I use the backside of the house where we have a 3' run with lots of sun. I have many raised planter boxes. Been gardening this way for 3 years now. This year have 6 zucchini plants, 6 Kentucky wonder pole beans, sage, cilantro, basil, 17 tomato plants (sweet 100 cherry, sungold cherry, early girl) and am thinking of what else I want to eat this summer. There's nothing better than grabbing fresh veggies from your garden for dinner. It just tastes so fresh and feels so good! I wish I had chickens although I don't think living in a city in a rental house allows that. But great looking garden!
Old 04-23-2014, 06:01 AM   #42
Merry Christmas, Ya Filthy Animal...
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post

Peas............... won't be long to start stringing them up
Great! What variety do you grow? I usually do Sugar Snap because I like eating them whole; pod and all. Haven't even gotten mine in the ground yet, though. Soil temp is still only about 40 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileySB View Post
Great looking garden! I have a house but the yard is under mainly shade so I use the backside of the house where we have a 3' run with lots of sun. I have many raised planter boxes. Been gardening this way for 3 years now. This year have 6 zucchini plants, 6 Kentucky wonder pole beans, sage, cilantro, basil, 17 tomato plants (sweet 100 cherry, sungold cherry, early girl) and am thinking of what else I want to eat this summer. There's nothing better than grabbing fresh veggies from your garden for dinner. It just tastes so fresh and feels so good! I wish I had chickens although I don't think living in a city in a rental house allows that. But great looking garden!
Thanks!
From what I've read, you can get a lot of veggies out of the planter boxes if you do it right. I grow my peppers in boxes in front of the house (the brick facade lets me plant them sooner and keep them growing longer) and they did well last year.
If you like hot peppers I'd recommend growing some jalapenos. They're pretty easy and they produce all kinds of fruit. I usually grow 4 plants and I get enough peppers for two batches of jalapeno jelly, plus enough to dehydrate and store over the winter for stews, chili, etc.
I'd say you could try beets because they're pretty easy, but they take up a pretty good amount of space for what you get.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #43
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelie84 View Post
Great! What variety do you grow? I usually do Sugar Snap because I like eating them whole; pod and all. Haven't even gotten mine in the ground yet, though. Soil temp is still only about 40 degrees.

Thanks!
From what I've read, you can get a lot of veggies out of the planter boxes if you do it right. I grow my peppers in boxes in front of the house (the brick facade lets me plant them sooner and keep them growing longer) and they did well last year.
If you like hot peppers I'd recommend growing some jalapenos. They're pretty easy and they produce all kinds of fruit. I usually grow 4 plants and I get enough peppers for two batches of jalapeno jelly, plus enough to dehydrate and store over the winter for stews, chili, etc.
I'd say you could try beets because they're pretty easy, but they take up a pretty good amount of space for what you get.

these are sugar snap. Got them from walmart for 20 cents a pack not many in each pack but I think they all came up.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #44
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
these are sugar snap. Got them from walmart for 20 cents a pack not many in each pack but I think they all came up.

Love sugar snaps.
I need to build my trellis higher this year; last year mine overgrew the 5 foot trellis by I made by about 2 feet.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #45

Got my water storage system hooked back up this morning. Built a platform for it this year; last year was our first year using the totes and they weigh a lot more than the 50 gallon rain barrels we were using before. By the end of the summer the tote bases had sunk about 3 inches into the ground and I didn't have as much pressure at the end of the hose as I did when we started. So this year they got a 7 inch lift kit.

Gutters from the roof

Flow into a 3" pipe which dumps the water into a pair of 275 Gallon totes

Which we hook the garden hose to and use it to water the garden so we're not draining the well to keep the beds watered in August.

Saves on the power bill too, since we're not running the pump. There's a second set of gutters that goes on the back of the house and feeds into the tote on the right, but I haven't gotten that side re-installed yet. The bottom pipe cross-feeds, so both totes will fill even if I've only got one side hooked up, but it takes more rain because I'm only collecting from half of the roof.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #46
MaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nate
MaverickTRD's Tacoma Gallery
This is one of my favorite threads for sure! I've been longing to have a nice garden for a while, but I have had to move every year or other year for the past 8 years. Now, I'm in the process of buying a house...so things should be getting more stable for us and we can get started!

Keep up the good work gents and post up pics!
Old 04-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
This is one of my favorite threads for sure! I've been longing to have a nice garden for a while, but I have had to move every year or other year for the past 8 years. Now, I'm in the process of buying a house...so things should be getting more stable for us and we can get started!

Keep up the good work gents and post up pics!
Congrats on the house! Hopefully it's not in some neighborhood with stupid zoning rules like "nothing but grass and shrubs on the lawn."
Old 04-26-2014, 05:20 PM   #48
MaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverickTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nate
MaverickTRD's Tacoma Gallery
well, the garden will be limited to the backyard, which is fine for me. the front yards here in Phoenix are generally pretty small. I can grow all the fruits and veggies i could fit/want in the back and there is a pretty decent amount of space.I plan on doing raise beds, as well as boxes along and up the walls surrounding the yard.
The tricky part will be figuring out how to get chickens haha. they are against HOA rules, but I know there are a few people that have them there. maybe bribe the neighbors with farm fresh eggs? who knows

thanks for the kind words...this thread is an inspiration
Old 04-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
well, the garden will be limited to the backyard, which is fine for me. the front yards here in Phoenix are generally pretty small. I can grow all the fruits and veggies i could fit/want in the back and there is a pretty decent amount of space.I plan on doing raise beds, as well as boxes along and up the walls surrounding the yard.
The tricky part will be figuring out how to get chickens haha. they are against HOA rules, but I know there are a few people that have them there. maybe bribe the neighbors with farm fresh eggs? who knows

thanks for the kind words...this thread is an inspiration
From what I've read, a lot of the zoning against chickens is actually against Roosters. Odds are if you have a roosterless flock the neighbors won't really care (especially if you use your idea of egg bribery). Chickens are quiet; Roosters aren't. Before my roo's started crowing we had a hard time keeping track of where the chickens actually were on the property because mostly they just cluck to each other and scratch around. Of course, now the roosters crow, so you pretty much always know where the hens are.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:06 PM   #50
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: 00
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Got my water storage system hooked back up this morning. Built a platform for it this year; last year was our first year using the totes and they weigh a lot more than the 50 gallon rain barrels we were using before. By the end of the summer the tote bases had sunk about 3 inches into the ground and I didn't have as much pressure at the end of the hose as I did when we started. So this year they got a 7 inch lift kit.

Gutters from the roof

Which we hook the garden hose to and use it to water the garden so we're not draining the well to keep the beds watered in August.

Saves on the power bill too, since we're not running the pump. There's a second set of gutters that goes on the back of the house and feeds into the tote on the right, but I haven't gotten that side re-installed yet. The bottom pipe cross-feeds, so both totes will fill even if I've only got one side hooked up, but it takes more rain because I'm only collecting from half of the roof.

Cool.
The other day I was thinking how it should be the norm to see most all houses with some sort of rain water collection system.. I guess builders and people haven't had a resourceful or preservation mind set. It only seems to make perfect sense to me. Of course plenty or probably most could care less, until they don't have a water supply.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
Cool.
The other day I was thinking how it should be the norm to see most all houses with some sort of rain water collection system.. I guess builders and people haven't had a resourceful or preservation mind set. It only seems to make perfect sense to me. Of course plenty or probably most could care less, until they don't have a water supply.
Same thing for solar panels integrated into the roof design, really. When I build I'm planning on having a cistern poured at the same time as the foundation slab for rainwater collection. Much more aesthetically pleasing than a couple of big water totes, haha!
Old 04-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #52
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: 00
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Same thing for solar panels integrated into the roof design, really. When I build I'm planning on having a cistern poured at the same time as the foundation slab for rainwater collection. Much more aesthetically pleasing than a couple of big water totes, haha!
True, I def think these things should start to being designed into homes, people should wake up and start taking action with these things imo., just makes sense.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #53

Sunday project: Built and placed a new garden bed (32 x 8!).

Dug out the sod (by hand, which was dumb; should have just cut it with the shovel and scooped it with the tractor. My back will be sore tomorrow!)

And moved it over beside the garage for erosion control

Even Aggie got in on the action!
Old 04-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #54
rkarabao is a splendid one to beholdrkarabao is a splendid one to beholdrkarabao is a splendid one to beholdrkarabao is a splendid one to beholdrkarabao is a splendid one to beholdrkarabao is a splendid one to beholdrkarabao is a splendid one to behold

rkarabao's Tacoma Gallery
Okay now this is cool!
Good to see TW members rocking edible front yards. Just thought I' add a little inspiration to all the avocado talk going on.

Quote:

Gutters from the roof

Attached Thumbnails
Gardening Thread- Show me your gardens!-20130810_073015.jpg  
Old 04-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #55
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkarabao View Post
Okay now this is cool!
Good to see TW members rocking edible front yards. Just thought I' add a little inspiration to all the avocado talk going on.
Impressive. Are those Reed Avocados?
Old 04-28-2014, 01:23 AM   #56
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Gutters from the roof

I would cover up those IBC containers so alge dont grow in them.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:50 AM   #57
rkarabao is a splendid one to beholdrkarabao is a splendid one to beholdrkarabao is a splendid one to beholdrkarabao is a splendid one to beholdrkarabao is a splendid one to beholdrkarabao is a splendid one to beholdrkarabao is a splendid one to behold

rkarabao's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure! just one of the half dozen varieties growing around the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
Impressive. Are those Reed Avocados?
Old 04-28-2014, 04:23 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkarabao View Post
Okay now this is cool!
Damn...That's a big avocado!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskal311 View Post
I would cover up those IBC containers so alge dont grow in them.
We didn't have much of a problem with algae in them last year, but I agree. I'm probably going to paint them this year, actually. That should inhibit the algae growth and protect them from UV degradation.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #59
ramonortiz55 is just really niceramonortiz55 is just really niceramonortiz55 is just really niceramonortiz55 is just really nice

Name: Ramon
ramonortiz55's Tacoma Gallery
I am glad theres a thread on gardening!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #60
ramonortiz55 is just really niceramonortiz55 is just really niceramonortiz55 is just really niceramonortiz55 is just really nice

Name: Ramon
ramonortiz55's Tacoma Gallery
Started by making 6 x 6 boxes, 10" high.. filled them up with gardening soil from a local nursery

Installed cattle fences for green bean and snap pea support

My babehs

peas stringing up on trellis

early cabbage

installed a failed sprinkler system :S

This is my first year gardening.. so any advice will be appreciated..

Tomatoes, tomatillos, bell peppers, onions, carrots, spinach, lettuce, brocolli, snap peas, green beans, and cucumbers

Products Discussed in this Thread