Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Gardening Thread- Show me your gardens!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
Merry Christmas, Ya Filthy Animal...
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Gardening Thread- Show me your gardens!

Anybody here keep a garden? Can be food or flower or tree; doesn't really matter.
I installed a pretty good-sized vegetable garden this past spring. We had a small two-bed garden at the old house, but we bought that one as a flip so I didn't want to have a huge garden in case the people who bought it didn't want a garden. We're planning on being in this place for a while, so I don't care what the next owners want or don't want at this point. So as soon as the snow melted in the spring I got to work cutting turf, building boxes, and hauling soil.
Here's what the house looked like when we bought it in the fall of '12 (courtesy of Google's street view):

And here's what it looked like by June of '13

We (by which I mean I) also built a coop and picked up a dozen chickens (which turned out to be 10 hens and 2 roosters) for fresh eggs.

The hens keep us in scrambled eggs, and the roosters make a pretty effective alarm clock, as long as you don't mind waking up at 5AM.

So who else keeps a garden?
Old 03-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Really?
Nobody keeps a garden?
Am I seriously the only person on TW getting the itch to get some seeds started?
Old 03-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
We have a garden
Vegetable, herb or Flower?
Did you do raised beds to help counter all of that PNW rain, or did you find that you didn't need them?
Old 03-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelie84 View Post
Vegetable, herb or Flower?

Did you do raised beds to help counter all of that PNW rain, or did you find that you didn't need them?

Combo

Yes , raised beds

Right now it is being used to heel in all our bulbs and plants from around our house due to construction though

My wife tends a big garden for an old client of mine , it's really nice
Old 03-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
My tomato plants grow year round.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Combo

Yes , raised beds

Right now it is being used to heel in all our bulbs and plants from around our house due to construction though

My wife tends a big garden for an old client of mine , it's really nice
Neat. Does he pay her in vegetables?

I'm hoping to expand mine again this year, if I can find the time for it. Less mowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
My tomato plants grow year round.
Hydroponics, or temperate climate?
Old 03-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Neat. Does he pay her in vegetables?

I'm hoping to expand mine again this year, if I can find the time for it. Less mowing.

She gets paid like a regular job , we get fresh veggies / fruit / berries as a bonus
Old 03-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
fenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nice
fenderpicks's Tacoma Gallery
Hey OP, do you have any close up pictures of the wood boxes you use for planting?
I would like to copy your design if you don't mind lol.

I know nothing about gardening, however my gf been wanting to plant things in the backyard, but it is looking like crap....
Old 03-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #10

Hm. I might on my home PC. I'll take a look this weekend if I remember
Old 03-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #11
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
I have a garden in my mind.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #12

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post

It's Mr Rogers
Old 03-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
Not sure having pot on the brain counts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderpicks View Post
Hey OP, do you have any close up pictures of the wood boxes you use for planting?
I would like to copy your design if you don't mind lol.

I know nothing about gardening, however my gf been wanting to plant things in the backyard, but it is looking like crap....
Well unfortunately this is the closest picture I could get. I didn't stop at any point while I was building them and take a picture, haha!

The basic layout of each bed is a pair of 4'x8' boxes made out of cedar 2x6's stacked one on top of the other to make a box 12" deep. I picked up a few cedar 4x4's and ripped them down into 1x1's on the table saw for interior corner posts to anchor the boards to, and I used a cedar 1x6 cut to 12" at the halfway mark on each of the 8' sides as a stabilizer to keep the board from shifting back and forth. And then I ripped a 1x6 cedar board down into 1x3's tacked them on as trim pieces on the corners to "make pretty" since they're in my front yard.
I'd go out and take a picture of one close up for you, but right now they're buried under a foot of snow. Once it melts I'll be happy to get closer picture of one for you, if you remind me.

Gratuitous shot of a day's veggie harvest from this past September, since I'm itching to get dirt on my hands again.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #14
Drive it like a 4WD
Gabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Gabassman's Tacoma Gallery
Just got me some baby chicks to try my hand at it. Hoping to get some eggs one of these days.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:41 AM   #15
DCLBFTMFW ;)
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery

This is my Greenhouse, started it last year. Its been a while since I took this picture but you get the point. I'm so stoked it finally warmed up in my area enough to empty it. Now I can finally do the floor and set up my benches
Old 04-02-2014, 05:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalot View Post

This is my Greenhouse, started it last year. Its been a while since I took this picture but you get the point. I'm so stoked it finally warmed up in my area enough to empty it. Now I can finally do the floor and set up my benches
That's a nice-looking setup!
What did you use for panels? Actual glass, or those poly sheets?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:29 AM   #17
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I officially have a 'black thumb' and a bad case of the 'rabbits' - which, prevents me from effectively & efficiently grow anything that resembles a plant.
I tried to rid myself of this rabbit disease with a BB gun, but unfortunately....it came back.

Moving to a new house in 2 weeks and leaving those rabbits behind (I hope).

I need a cure for my black thumb.

GIMME GARDEN VIBES!!!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:55 AM   #18
DCLBFTMFW ;)
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's a nice-looking setup!
What did you use for panels? Actual glass, or those poly sheets?
I used Impact rated insulated glass on the bottom sides up to 5' high. Then 1/4" Tempered for the rest of the sides and the front and back. The roof is 2 layers of greenhouse poly that is inflated with a fan to provide more insulation. Ran electric and h2o out to it and did a misting watering system that hangs from the roof with drip lines all on separate valves. All the arches are made from conduit that I bent to form the arch for the plastic to lay on.

Its going great so far. Cannot wait to finish it up this summer. Got a nice couple month head start on seeds this year.

Oh, and I have 150+ gallons of water in large drums for thermal mass.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:12 AM   #19
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I have a grove with 19 Avocado trees (17 Haas and 2 Fuerte). 16 of them are mature and three are newly planted this year. I also have three orange trees (1 Naval, 1 Valencia and 1 newly planted Blood Orange tree), two tangerine trees, a lemon tree, a Fuji Apple tree (new), a new Lime tree and a new Doughnut Peach tree.

Last year we pulled off about 800 pounds of Avocados. Most of them were small (about 2"). We picked late the previous year so I don't think they had time to grow big. We also picked about 200 pounds of tangerines last October.

We also have a flower garden in the back. It doesn't need much attention. We have the irrigation on a timer for most of the flowers around the property and also for two of the orange trees and the lemon tree.

The Avocado grove and the other trees need to have the water turned on manually, usually once a week. They each have their own sprinkler head and the irrigation system is divided into three zones. I can only run one zone at a time due to the large amount of water required. We use about 50,000 gallons of water per month.

Front shot: Avocado trees to the left and right of the picture

Avocado tree to the right:

Flower Garden:

Attached Thumbnails
Gardening Thread- Show me your gardens!-9pkcr57spc1gmat1gnfq7gyxh2i6.jpg   Gardening Thread- Show me your gardens!-05g168a2nkp14fafzfbmsh3jb1i6.jpg   Gardening Thread- Show me your gardens!-cmhk6s0en4pkmbt9f8gkfmt987i6.jpg   Gardening Thread- Show me your gardens!-front-shot.jpg   Gardening Thread- Show me your gardens!-garden.jpg  

Old 04-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #20
Mully is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Mully's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Got some property, and planted a gArden, raise chickens. Eat healthy.
Attached Thumbnails
Gardening Thread- Show me your gardens!-image.jpg  

Products Discussed in this Thread