Notices

What mattress do you use?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
soljah111 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jon
soljah111's Tacoma Gallery
What mattress do you use?

Wife is pregnant with our second and she says our 10 year old inner spring isn't cutting it, so I thought I'd turn to good old tw for advice. I researched online and there are so many options inner spring, memory foam, gel, latex, organic, etc. I am interested in the gel memory foams but there are so many options as far as density, thickness, etc. we are going out to shop around but would like to have a good idea of what we re looking at. I'd like to keep the budget around 1k unless something blows me away. Let me know what you use: brand, type, thickness and any other advice. Thanks
Old 04-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
Spooby
gtdad66 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jesse
gtdad66's Tacoma Gallery
Look at this one, I just purchased one for myself and love it!! http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Innovati...+mattress+king
Old 04-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
Waikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Waikoloa Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Select comfort. We both love it.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Memory foam only, no box spring. No bounce when one of us get in or out of bed. It has three layers of progressively softer foam. Queen size, standard thickness. FIRM. Way below your 1K budget
Old 04-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I have a soft memory foam mattress. 13" queen. I love it. It has developed a dip where I always sleep (after 3 years), but it's even softer there and extra comfortable. Too bad it's right in the middle of the mattress.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
I use the ones that are all fucked up with springs & shit sticking thru & lets not forget about the stains that look like somewhere between a girls monthly visit & a crime scene with just enough early saturday morning booze barfing to keep it moist & colorful... hope this helps...

(its not going to help anyone , is it ?)
Old 04-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
I went w/ a hybrid; latex over memory foam core... I like it, latex keeps you cooler than memory foam... oh, and don't skimp on the mattress because of the price, having a good bed is important... make sure your bed frame is supportive as well...
Old 04-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
Newlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
Mlily 12" King with cool gel topper. Picked it up locally for 600.00 + tax. And free haul away. Love it. Its a little firm but still soft enough to enjoy. No box spring either. I built a platform bed for it.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #9
Social Critic
DeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 23rd Infantry Division
Name: Steve
DeltaSteve's Tacoma Gallery
TEMPUR-Cloud Luxe California King ...

Old 04-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
User Friendly
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
I think ours is a Serta. Dang thing was several grand a a few years ago for a queen size. I wanted a King but my wife thought that was dumb - only to admit being wrong a few months later, I'm still annoyed by this. Not annoyed enough however, to replace it with the one I had picked out.

All said out mattress is very comfy.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robssol View Post
Memory foam only, no box spring. No bounce when one of us get in or out of bed. It has three layers of progressively softer foam. Queen size, standard thickness. FIRM. Way below your 1K budget

aren't those memory foams really hot?
Old 04-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
soljah111 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jon
soljah111's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the feedback! 4wd you crazy mofo!
Old 04-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #13
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
Mine isn't.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #14
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Memory foam ftw. Temperpedic. Firm.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #15
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Shopping for mattresses sucks!!

We have a 'Simmons Beautyrest' with the memory foam pillowtop. It's probably about 6 years old or more. It's still good and we both sleep nicely on it - but it is showing its age. The material on the top has bunched up and/or divets in it from where your butt is.

Some notes:
The memory foam pillow top is comfortable, but sometimes it can get really 'hot' if you're laying in the same spot for a long time. My husband never notices this concept. I do.... so - who knows.
I've heard that the newer memory foam has cooling gel in them...or something like that..??

Our mattress is 22" tall (including memory foam pillowtop) - it's hard to find sheets big enough. I have to search online for minimum 20" deep pocket sheets.
I haven't been able to find a King sized comforter that covers the entire bed from side to side. Regular King sized comforters only go over the edges by like 6" leaving most of the mattress exposed.

We're actually looking around for a new bedroom suite and want to get a California King bed/mattress - I would never buy another mattress that's a deep pocket sized. Not sure what we'll end up with.

We actually looked at the Select Comfort beds. We didn't like 'em because they have a partition in the center. You can't roll around in the middle without hitting a wall (my husband and I like to snuggle).
Old 04-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #16
jamesinkeys is just really nicejamesinkeys is just really nicejamesinkeys is just really nicejamesinkeys is just really nice
Name: james
jamesinkeys's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't have a memory foam..b/c rumor has it, not conducive for sexual activity, hard to maneuver, no joke. When back in the Keys, going for the new latex model for durability, stays its shape, and coolness,
Old 04-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #17
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I live in WISCONSIN!
This last winter was the coldest in 40 years Wife always leaves me a warm spot We have one in the camper as well.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #18
2012tacolover will become famous soon enough2012tacolover will become famous soon enough

Name: Norm
2012tacolover's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikoloa Tacoma View Post
Select comfort. We both love it.
^^ x2 I love mine, best bed I have ever owned! My boss got one based on my recommendation and loves it as well! Good luck in your search!
Old 04-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #19

robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinkeys View Post
I don't have a memory foam..b/c rumor has it, not conducive for sexual activity, hard to maneuver, no joke.
Very conducive to all activities. Except maybe jumping on the bed.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #20

robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
I have a soft memory foam mattress. 13" queen. I love it. It has developed a dip where I always sleep (after 3 years), but it's even softer there and extra comfortable. Too bad it's right in the middle of the mattress.
Try flipping, or spinning it 180°

Products Discussed in this Thread