1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need some unbiased opinion on an edited video!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by MedlinAround, May 1, 2014.

1. May 1, 2014 at 4:20 PM
    MedlinAround

MedlinAround [OP] Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD off-road edition Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.
    Fellow TW members. Some buddies of mine have a band that they have recently started, and while playing a few shows around the area, i decided to shoot them a music video. I love editing/shooting video so we shot a little.

The song is going to be to one of their songs on an album they have been working on in a studio, so i'm waiting on the true studio sound before i put it to the video (The audio from the video is only from the GoPros). Anyway i need some opinions on what you think of the video so far. Tell me what parts you think needs better editing, yada yada. I need some opinions before we release the final product! Again, any and all comments are welcome!

Here is the re done version i am working on. Recorded audio and some edits made. What do you all think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NnR7RSdISI&feature=youtu.be

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  2. May 1, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.
    53 views and no one has an opinion? Lol Come on, tell me it sucks or something!

3. May 1, 2014 at 6:04 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The audio quality is terrible, I couldn't understand any part of the song. For a first cut, the video seems alright. I wouldn't say it's extraordinary but far from terrible. Actually being able to make out the song I think would make or break it.

4. May 1, 2014 at 6:16 PM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Yeah i'm not talking about the audio quality. Like i said in the first post, i'm waiting on the studio to finish editing the song that is going to be put to the video. The video will have studio quality sound as soon as they get it done and send it to me!

5. May 1, 2014 at 7:36 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    My first observation was the lack of stability and smoothness in your camera work. Smooth panning and stability show a more professional grade of videography.

Sometimes it's a purpose effect, but I don't know if that was your intention here though.

6. May 1, 2014 at 11:53 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Leaving the poor audio quality out...

What is the song about? To me, the vid should be, in some way, about what the song is saying. I can't tell what it's saying so it may just be about going to a bar if it isn't then I'd add in some material related to the song.

As far as video quality, as stated, it is pretty unsteady and the close ups of the guys playing cuts off heads etc.

I'm not a TV watcher, let alone music videos so take if for what it's worth.

But, I give you major respect for doing something you want to do.

7. May 2, 2014 at 12:04 AM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    I liked it, except for shopping off the guitarist's head.
    It has a backstage pass feel to it that I like.

8. May 2, 2014 at 12:21 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    First thing I think, is that its impossible to tell if its edited well because the final audio is not in there. I doesn't appear that you tried to really match up clips and transitions to the music with synchronization. So thats going to be a biggie, if there is any flow to it. Put the actual quality clip then repost it and it will be much easier to give opinions.

Second, in general I felt like your longer clips were too long and the shorter clips were too brief. What mood/flow were you trying to set for the video. If its an up beat and fast paced song i wouldn't really be using any fades, more jump cuts to keep it moving. And I wouldn't be using lengthy clips, becuse people's attention span is short.

was there a plan for the video? Or was it just find the best clips of the band playing and put together? Not critiquing, just wondering so I can get into your thought process on what you want it to look for.

Other things noticed, I think the intro scene at :08 was a bit off, it looked slowed down and kinda blurry and the transition wasn't clean

little clip at :40, fades in, is super short and jump cuts right out. kind of an awkward sequence and its too quick to even take in, it was just a blink of an eye

clip at 1:01 could maybe cut out the standing still/ slow moving portions and keep the part where you actually cross the stage, then the subsequent clips after that really make them mesh up with the song where the beat is prominent

guitar solo at 2:01 is pretty bad ass. i would some how try to ad more emphasis and pop to that bit. not sure exactly how without playing with it, just an option

at the end, not sure if i would have faded to black then jumped to the dance floor when the song name appeared. the fade to black almost implies the end of the video which it is not, the clapping from the crowded dance floor is a great touch and that is good way to end the video with it still going strong. the long fade to black almost kills the energy which i would want to remain high untill the end, so maybe a cross fade between the clips without the black?

dont take it the wrong way either. I love editing videos, and the tiniest flow issue I see that looks out of place or iffy I work on to smooth it out. Im just pointing out things I would go back in if it were my video and try so smooth out. But really its hard to tell with out the final audio meshed up correctly.

making a video with a go pro is not east either. the fish eye even on normal skews things. what editing program are you using?

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  9. May 2, 2014 at 1:47 PM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Exactly what I wanted to hear. Video program is Sony Vegas. I agree with you all on almost every part as wel. The band seem to like it but editing tones of video I agree on ever aspect. My computer is slow so I have to render the video to see stufd like that. The audio does match with the drums/ guitar solo etc. Then other scenes are throwed in.
    The intro clip is choppy becauseit was shot at 2.7k then slowed down too much. Going to speed it up more or take it out period. The fast parts go to the fast beat when they stop singing so its just to the bass beating ( minus the one real quick one which does throw your eye off).

I'll work on the fade at the end because I get what you're saying and agree with you.

The chopped off heads were more of a shot to a close up of the instrument being played and not more of the player and can be zoomes out.

I also agree with the stability but as of now a GoPro and a stick is all I have to work with and I do little tips like putting the camera in upside down mode for more stability, but you work with what you got for now.

All strong points I agree 100% with and seen these same things after I edited it. Again these are friends of mine so its a free deal. I'm trying to get more projects to work with for extra money on doing some on the side as a hobby so I'm wanting it to look decent to maybe draw someone else's eye!

10. May 2, 2014 at 2:06 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Gotcha. Im using sony vegas well. and i have the same issue. my lap top is not powerful enough to play the video smoothly in the editing screen if it gets to technical sections. Like multiple audio tracks, a transition with a slow-mo video fading to something else all at one time...it almost just skips over that part because it cant process it. Massive PITA.

I did notice that the audio matched the solos. But you brought up another good point, if you want it to look good some how you should get the rest of the clips to match up with the song as well. It would be odd if there was a guitar riff and the guitar player was in the back ground holding a note, know what I mean? Im not sure how much more work that would take though.

the chopped off heads i didnt even mind much, because i thought the same thing, they were a close up of the individual playing.

does up side down go pro actually work for stability? ive never tried that. But ya. get the final audio in there and I want to see it again after you get it fixed. I totally understand its a free job. I spend WAY too long working on videos hardly anyone will even watch haha. I just want to get better and learn how to edit better.

11. Oct 5, 2014 at 9:19 PM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Here is the song with a re done on my upgraded mac. It now has the recorded audio to it. Still have a little more editing to do but tell me what you like and don't like about it! I'm hoping to get a steadicam here in the near future so i can shoot a little more steady footage but for all i got to work with, here it is!
    If you like the song check out the bad on reverb nation, face book, etc. Simply type in County Wide. They also have a couple songs on iTunes and Google play (including this song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NnR7RSdISI&feature=youtu.be

Products Discussed in

To Top