1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Break Out Another Thousand

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by bjmoose, May 8, 2014.

1. May 8, 2014 at 8:32 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose [OP] Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Awlrighty guys. I'm sorely tempted by this beautiful classic "hole in the water into which you throw money."

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...2526793/Newberg/OR/United-States#.U2q1W8fGU3I

It's a sailboat, obviously.

It's about 19 feet long, weighs about 2000 lbs, and can be trailered behind my 4 cyl tacoma. I'd probably have to upgrade the trailer to have brakes; doesn't look like it currently has any.

I could sail it on SF Bay, Monterey Bay, and Lake Tahoe.

I already know how to sail; in fact, I'm pretty good at it.

Currently, I have a laser, which is 14 feet long, weighs about 130lbs, is sailed wearing a wetsuit, and is "only slightly wetter than swimming." Lasers exist to be raced, and I'm gradually losing my interest in sailboat *racing.* But I still love being on the water.

Before that, I had a J/24 which I actively raced on SF Bay.

Downsides - more maintenance chores. Boats exist to be maintained. See all that lovely brightwork? It either needs two new coats of varnish a year - or somehow for the boat to be stored on its trailer indoors away from the abusive effects of the sun.

If you keep a boat like this one on the trailer - raising the mast, and launching a fixed keel boat from a trailer is kind of a pain. They make newer boats on which these jobs are much easier. This boat probably needs 90 minutes from the time you pull into the launch ramp parking lot until you sail it away from the dock - if you're working quickly and efficiently and not wasting any time. Same thing on the pulling-out end.

So, help talk me into it - or out of it. :)

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  2. May 8, 2014 at 10:47 AM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Boats that are always in the water are more subject to blistering than trailer sailed boats. Yeah, I'd give it a good going over - and having had to recore some balsa deck - I know how to find soft core by tapping and listening.

The price may be a little high. Condition counts for a lot - more so than with old-but-not-classic cars. But still.

3. May 8, 2014 at 9:01 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp

Products Discussed in

To Top