Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Who takes pride in their yard?

Old 08-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #141
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Primo!
Primo 95's Tacoma Gallery
My backyard is looking tip top right now and I had to show it off (we've got an unusual amount of steady rain over the summer for once). This is St. Augustine grass, btw. This is serious bragging rights to have a lawn this green in South Texas this late in the summer.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:21 AM   #142
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo 95 View Post
My backyard is looking tip top right now and I had to show it off (we've got an unusual amount of steady rain over the summer for once). This is St. Augustine grass, btw. This is serious bragging rights to have a lawn this green in South Texas this late in the summer.

Very nice! I'm in the same boat as you. We have had a unusual amount of rain this year. I've only watered the yard 2 times so far and that has never happened since I've been here.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #143
labs4me has much to be proud oflabs4me has much to be proud oflabs4me has much to be proud oflabs4me has much to be proud oflabs4me has much to be proud oflabs4me has much to be proud oflabs4me has much to be proud oflabs4me has much to be proud of
labs4me's Tacoma Gallery

I take pride in everything I own. But I don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #144
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by labs4me View Post

I take pride in everything I own. But I don't sweat the small stuff.
Lol.. obviously. That's a damn big yard
Old 08-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #145
Go Pokes!
Pistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Pistol Pete's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RearViewMirror View Post
Nice job man!

Lawn service company killed my yard about 4 years ago. Had to replace the entire yard. My wife and I laid 20 pallets of sod in 1.5 days.

It sucked

1st piece. Only 999 more to go

And how it sits today

I did it the hard way...I had some construction about to happen last winter on a lot which had recently been sodded in the fall. We rolled it all up in ~10ft sections transported them 1/3mile and then unrolled them. It sucked so much ass.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:32 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
I did it the hard way...I had some construction about to happen last winter on a lot which had recently been sodded in the fall. We rolled it all up in ~10ft sections transported them 1/3mile and then unrolled them. It sucked so much ass.
I hear ya. After my wife and I laid 20 pallets of sod we were wore out. Why the hell I bought mini rolls instead of squares I've no idea. I thought it would be easier.... It wasn't.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #147
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RearViewMirror View Post
Very nice! I'm in the same boat as you. We have had a unusual amount of rain this year. I've only watered the yard 2 times so far and that has never happened since I've been here.
same here. done wonders on the water bill lol
Old 08-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
same here. done wonders on the water bill lol
No kidding right?
Old 08-27-2014, 01:37 AM   #149
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Can I hire you guys?

My husband and I moved into a new house with a larger yard....and I think we've inherited the previous owners lack of maintenance.

The only problem with that is - my husband and I want to make the yard look beautiful, yet we're not skilled enough to make it happen!! We tend to 'wing it'

We moved into this house in mid April. At that point, my husband applied fertilizer w/ crab grass preventer. I'm guessing this should've been applied in March.
Anyway.... there's an area next to our driveway that's getting overwhelmed with crab grass. Our neighbor claims its from our other neighbors fertilizer treatments /contamination blowing over into our yard. The area is a TALL light green colored grasses growing - and from what I've tried to research, this is the beginning stages of crab grasses.

We've tried pulling it out.....using sprays to kill it.... but it just comes back and I'm pretty sure its spreading.

Are we SOL? Would this require totally ripping it out and reseeding in the fall? Or is there anything we can do (fertilizer? treatments?) that we can do now and then again in spring?

Our previous house - we paid a guy a lot of money to maintain the yard (and it looked great). This yard is twice as big ....and we just don't want to put that much money into it without giving it our best shot to learn how to take care of things ourselves.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:09 AM   #151
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Primo!
Primo 95's Tacoma Gallery
Follow this.
http://www.scotts.com/smg/templates/...ProgramBuilder

Cut your grass at the right height ( probably 3 inches)

As a close neighbor exactly what they do and follow. Or check your local paper...our runs an article every Saturday of what you should be doing. If your yard is in bad shape...it will take several years to correct it....but it can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Can I hire you guys?

My husband and I moved into a new house with a larger yard....and I think we've inherited the previous owners lack of maintenance.

The only problem with that is - my husband and I want to make the yard look beautiful, yet we're not skilled enough to make it happen!! We tend to 'wing it'

We moved into this house in mid April. At that point, my husband applied fertilizer w/ crab grass preventer. I'm guessing this should've been applied in March.
Anyway.... there's an area next to our driveway that's getting overwhelmed with crab grass. Our neighbor claims its from our other neighbors fertilizer treatments /contamination blowing over into our yard. The area is a TALL light green colored grasses growing - and from what I've tried to research, this is the beginning stages of crab grasses.

We've tried pulling it out.....using sprays to kill it.... but it just comes back and I'm pretty sure its spreading.

Are we SOL? Would this require totally ripping it out and reseeding in the fall? Or is there anything we can do (fertilizer? treatments?) that we can do now and then again in spring?

Our previous house - we paid a guy a lot of money to maintain the yard (and it looked great). This yard is twice as big ....and we just don't want to put that much money into it without giving it our best shot to learn how to take care of things ourselves.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:33 AM   #152
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo 95 View Post
Follow this.
http://www.scotts.com/smg/templates/...ProgramBuilder

Cut your grass at the right height ( probably 3 inches)

As a close neighbor exactly what they do and follow. Or check your local paper...our runs an article every Saturday of what you should be doing. If your yard is in bad shape...it will take several years to correct it....but it can be done.
What is my local paper going to tell me?

My husband has a riding mower and a spreader. He's been applying Scott's. We've only been living in this house since April and I know he's applied at least one application or maybe 2.

Our yard is not in bad shape.... The area near the driveway with all the crab grass needs help.

The neighbors use the fertilizer companies (Scotts, Chemlawn, etc). We've used these companies in the past and have never been impressed with the results for the $$ you spend. Our previous home (the last 5 years)- we paid a local private company $$ ($1200 for 1/3 acre) for a full maintenance care and it looked awesome. Unfortunately...this new lawn is twice as big and would probably cost twice as much. We just can't swallow putting that amount of money into this lawn yet... vs....renting equipment and doing work ourselves (or at least giving it our best shot at it).

If we could figure out this crab grass thing.....We could deal with the rest.

When you first get into a situation like this.... (new home, new lawn). Would it be routine maintenance to have it de-thatched, airated, & reseeded in the fall? Or dethatch and reseed? Or Airate & reseed in the spring or both?
Old 08-27-2014, 04:48 AM   #153
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
When you first get into a situation like this.... (new home, new lawn). Would it be routine maintenance to have it de-thatched, airated, & reseeded in the fall? Or dethatch and reseed? Or Airate & reseed in the spring or both?
If you can feel soil through the grass, you probably don't have enough thatch to worry about.

In your situation and location, I would core aerate and overseed this fall, and use a starter fertilizer to get the seed going. Use a pre-emergent in February or March to keep the crab grass from coming back. You might have some patches in the spring that you need to add some seed patch to. Then just do the regular fertilizer schedule and repeat the aerate/overseed/pre-emergent each year. I did 2 years of this and was able to skip the aeration/seed last year.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #154
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Ok, didn't want to but since we're pimpin' our pads here........

I'm so full of shit
Yes you are ol' man.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #155
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
Yes you are ol' man.

But ya had to look, didn't ya Johnnie....

How you been John ?? Still in Okla.?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
But ya had to look, didn't ya Johnnie....

How you been John ?? Still in Okla.?
yep, unfortunately...still got 2 more years here