Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Who takes pride in their yard?

Old 06-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Who takes pride in their yard?

It's kind of my thing and I doubt I'm the only one. I do every bit of the yard work myself from pre-emergent to fertilizer to fall pre-emergent.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
muddedtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Wesley
muddedtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I don't really. I have ruts where I park, it gets a good mowing about once a month, it has a broken down nissan in the front yard, I let my chickens run loose in it. I wouldn't mind having a nice clean cut yard but when it rains all week and not having a drive way, I sometimes have to use 4wd to move with out spinning, and even if I don't spin my buckshot mudders still mess up the grass and mud up the yard. I would like to say that you have a beautiful yard, and if I could I would like the same. And doing it on the side once for extra money on a yard that takes me 4 hours on a kabota 72 inch deck going 11mph, don't make me want to do it at my house with a push mow on a 4 acre yard.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
User Friendly
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
If you wake up to nothing but dirt tomorrow morning don't come by my house

Seriously DAMN good looking lawn.

I try, but our soil is like pure sand. We have good luck with shady flower beds and that's about it. Sodded the front a year or two ago and it already looks like crap. But, that's not enough to stop me. Looking at throwing our money in the trash again as wanting to sod the back now.. Should get at least 6 months of fun out of it lol
Old 06-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
Our lawn is patches of grass and dirt
Old 06-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
I mow my moss weekely.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Loved the old yard there is a tiny bit of grass in there lol

A lot of fun though

Old 06-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
Banned
Perma Banned is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Name: Jon
Perma Banned's Tacoma Gallery
Great looking lawn bro, Im in the process of getting mine back into shape. The summer before we bought the house no one was living there and it got bad quick (Crabgrass Lawn), Ive been getting alot of tips lately, and put down my pre-emergent (at the right time) hopefully i can get it back to looking healthy soon, we have the worst grass in the neighborhood, and were the first house you see when you pull down our road so I feel its my responsibility to have it look great!
Old 06-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #8
nealkas will become famous soon enough
Marines: Motor T, other duties as required. ;-)
Name: nealkas
nealkas's Tacoma Gallery
In our own way. We keep it as more of a wildflower/pollinator/bird patch.
I use a scythe to keep it at a reasonable height.

Mow it spring and fall for reseeding.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #9
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
My wife and I do. We have about 7500 sq. ft. of grass. We put a lot more work into it this year instead of just watering the hell out of it. Those water bills were getting ridiculous, I think our highest was $320.00 Dandelions are kicking our butts though, our upwind neighbor couldn't possibly care any less about their dandelions. Oh, and gophers, I have declared war on them.
This was from two years ago, but it looks the same.

Front yard

Back yard. We've since fenced the dogs off the grass, so thats helping big time. It was getting pretty haggard last year. Also this spring, we put in a few lilacs and forsyntias(sp?) over on the right side of this picture.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
lanestaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Lane
lanestaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought my house during the winter. The yard was never cared for by previous owners. I plan on attacking it this fall. Cutting down ALL of the cedar trees that are draining the water supply. There are plenty of great looking oaks to provide any shade I want.

Going to kill all of the weeds in the yard (which is all I have right now). Then I'll get, hopefully, a good carpet of bermuda growing in good ol' hot Oklahoma!
Old 06-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #11
You don't frighten us, English pig dogs!
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Here in Maine it's pretty easy to grow grass, but we do take pride in our lawn for other reasons (namely that it provides a decent percentage of the food that we eat)

House as we bought it in October of '12 (courtesy of Google Maps)

House as of July of '13:

Plus this year we put in another bed; this one's 8X32

Because it's been such a cold spring everything's off to a slow start. I can't wait until we start pulling this in every day again!

Another bonus is that we have much less grass to mow, so we use one of these:
Old 06-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #12
muddedtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Wesley
muddedtaco's Tacoma Gallery
We have one of those push mows too, but I am glad we bought an actual push mow with a engine, they do good work but it took 3 hours to do our whole yard now it takes an hour it feels like.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #13
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelie84 View Post
Another bonus is that we have much less grass to mow, so we use one of these:
Nothing beats one of those for making a yard look perfect. I have thought about getting one myself. Low impact on the environment and a perfect cut every time.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #14
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have a Craftsman push mower that we used the first year. It would take almost 4 hours to mow and edge. I couldnt take that crap anymore. I got a Craftsman ride on. 21hp, 46" deck. I just need to get a bagger system for it. Raking sucks.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #15
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddedtaco View Post
We have one of those push mows too, but I am glad we bought an actual push mow with a engine, they do good work but it took 3 hours to do our whole yard now it takes an hour it feels like.
For sure. If our lawn wasn't so piddly I'd go back to using a power mower too. We still have our old mowers from the old house, because that place had a HUGE yard and it took two people with powered push mowers around two hours to mow it.
But now we only use them if we let the lawn get totally out of control and the little reel mower can't handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RearViewMirror View Post
Nothing beats one of those for making a yard look perfect. I have thought about getting one myself. Low impact on the environment and a perfect cut every time.
Nice and cheap to buy and maintain, too. Ours cost less than $100 on sale, and the only maintenance I've done so far is to grease the drive gears for a new season.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #16
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
Nice yard, and nice garden! Didn't get pics of the first rose bloom, but will post pics later. I'll get a pic of the Rube Goldberg sprinkler backflow the plumber just replaced, too.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #17
I'm your huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelie84 View Post
For sure. If our lawn wasn't so piddly I'd go back to using a power mower too. We still have our old mowers from the old house, because that place had a HUGE yard and it took two people with powered push mowers around two hours to mow it.
But now we only use them if we let the lawn get totally out of control and the little reel mower can't handle it.
Before we bought the place we are in now we had a rental with a tiny yard. I always wanted to find one of those little push ones.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #18
FrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the rough

Name: Frank
FrankNasti's Tacoma Gallery
Nice yard. This is our first summer in the house. It was a rental before and the tenants didn't care. The grass is growing in, but trying to grow grass in a TX drought sucks. We have built a deck, fire pit area, and planted shrubs out along the front porch. The neighbors seem to like the improvements.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
I have a Craftsman push mower that we used the first year. It would take almost 4 hours to mow and edge. I couldnt take that crap anymore. I got a Craftsman ride on. 21hp, 46" deck. I just need to get a bagger system for it. Raking sucks.
Ugh.
Yeah, if mine took that long I'd have a powered unit too. I'd probably stick with the reels, though. Just get one of those 5-unit gang reel setups to tow behind a lawn tractor, just because I like how they cut. I also don't like to rake, so I just don't. I let the grass clippings mulch back into the yard.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #20
Mud Slinger
ferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Fernando
ferny's Tacoma Gallery
I do! My son loves it
Attached Thumbnails
Who takes pride in their yard?-gravedigger.jpg   Who takes pride in their yard?-backyard.jpg   Who takes pride in their yard?-tyson.jpg   Who takes pride in their yard?-dirt.jpg