1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Married or divorced? Need advice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Spencer, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Jun 6, 2014 at 6:28 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    You'll never know for sure.

What you have to be is committed to WORK at it all the time, and not give up when the going gets tough. And it will at some point. That goes for both. Is she a fighter, or somone who will throw in the towel when it isn't going her way?

Nothing good is easy, but it can be great. IF YOU MAKE IT THAT WAY...:D

2. Jun 6, 2014 at 6:34 AM
    toyohtadude

toyohtadude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Bone stock
    I knew it was right when I met her and she asked to watch hockey, baseball and football. She wanted her own gun to go hunting. She had a child already (I adopted him) and she wanted more (I said I wanted two, she took me to task and gave me twins!).

The two most important things are communication and trust. I was with my love for 5 years before we married. Our twins were the flower girl and ring bearer at 3 yrs old. I met her in 1986 and we married in 1991 and I still, to this day, want to be with her more than with anyone else. We do a lot together but not everything. Our enjoyment today is our 2 grandkids with another on the way and our time killer is both of us out on the supersports winding up 998cc through the corners.

• Communicate everything clearly
    • No skeletons in your closets
    • Never go to bed angry. Laughter is the best!
    • Kiss her in the morning
    • Kiss her goodnight!
    • Trust her with her friends be they male or female (Give her space!)
    • Never give her a resaon to doubt you.
    • Surprise her when she *least* expects it. Don't wait for traditional "special occasions!"
    • There is NOTHING that cannot be settled over a cup of coffee. Arguing is not ever necessary. Agree to disagree.
    • You can never tell her enough "I love you."
    • If all else fails, she is right, you are wrong and the proper answer is "Yes Dear."

3. Jun 6, 2014 at 6:50 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    OP; something to keep in mind:
    Not getting married because you might someday get divorced is like not buying a house because you're afraid that someday it might burn down.

Jack0928 likes this.
  4. Jun 6, 2014 at 6:56 AM
    Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    NC
    Vehicle:
    10 taco
    Wait! Y'all aren't done growing up and WILL change as time goes on. In all aspects. Not saying that it wouldn't work but if it's meant to b it's meant to b. if she loves u she won't go anywhere. But I'd say it's too early to take the plunge. But to each his own and good luck with whatever decision u make!

5. Jun 6, 2014 at 6:56 AM
    TurdTaco13

TurdTaco13 cuz my life is dope and I do dope shit

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Abq
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport 4x4
    6" BDS Lift, 18x9 XD Addicts, 35x12.5 Trail Grapplers, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with turndown after the axle, AFE Stage 2 CAI
    Ha ha, yeah I forgot to mention that little nugget of truth. :D

6. Jun 6, 2014 at 7:01 AM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.

^^^This is b.s.

The reason the divirce rate is so high in this country is because people make it an option. Marriage is hard work. If people make that commitment, they should keep that commitment. If times are tough, and trust me they will get tough at times, seek counseling and work to solve the issues to make you marriage better and things will improve. Keep your commitment.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  7. Jun 6, 2014 at 7:09 AM
    Paleus

Paleus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB TSS 4x4
    I got married when I was 20. Dated for 5 years before that. Coming up on 4 years in July. I wouldn't change a thing about our life together, it's been awesome. Marriage, like anything else in life, is what you make of it. I would caution you though, if you are uncertain about it enough to ask if you should get married on a truck forum, you are probably not ready. When we were ready to get married, we were so certain about it, nothing could have stopped us.

8. Jun 6, 2014 at 7:13 AM
    Hector v

Hector v Well-Known Member

Member:
    ca
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 sr5
    Bill Murray said this not too long ago, and I found it really true.

Instead of spending money on the ring travel the world with her and if you're still in love with her when you get back to the airport where you first started. Ask her to marry you right there and then.

9. Jun 6, 2014 at 7:17 AM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    I got married at 22 and my bride was 21. In retrospect, for us this was WAY too young. We just didn't know enough about life at that point to be making any 'forever' commitments. The best day of our 10-year marriage was the last one.

10. Jun 6, 2014 at 7:21 AM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    I have been married ONE TIME--waited until 32 YO to tie the knot.
    Have fun while you are single-RAISE HELL-you cannot do that once you are married. be a little selfish--do things that you will be unable to do if you were married.
    Live together for a while and see how that works out.
    I see many people get married TOO YOUNG(my daughter included(she was 24) ).
    It a BIG WORLD out there--LIFE LIFE to the FULLEST.
    VERY GLAD I WAITED.
    Would -coulda- shoulda-life is short -LIVE IT.

11. Jun 6, 2014 at 7:33 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA

The house burning might be less of a financial hit though...

Or so I hear, never been through a divorce.

:D:D

12. Jun 6, 2014 at 7:35 AM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    My wife and I dated 6 years before we got married and we have been married almost 2 years now. If your past the honeymoon phase of dating, you have had some solid arguments and understand eachother tactics and limits, you dont hide anything from her, and you are willing to fight for the relationship for the rest of your life because you love her. Then do it.

13. Jun 6, 2014 at 7:37 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I was married at 21 marriage is not a simple task it takes a lot of work and knowing no one is perfect including yourself. Marring young can work with effort by both parties you two will grow together the hard part is growing together and at the same rate. Forget about your ancestors 50% of marriages don't work that does not mean you’re are destined to fail. I am still married to the same one after 47 years and at some point it actually gets easier eventually two will become one.

14. Jun 6, 2014 at 9:32 AM
    Shauncho

Shauncho Embrace your inner Bro-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    I got married at 23 and it didn't work out. Granted, I didn't feel the same about her as you seem to feel about your GF but I thought it would work out. Either way, there's no NEED to be married now. There's no competition to see who can be married the longest. Marriage changes things...it's hard to explain but it just does. If things are perfect now, don't go messing with that. when you're 30-something and you still feel like you want to live the rest of your life with this person, go for it. but for now just let it be.

15. Jun 6, 2014 at 9:44 AM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    My parents divorced when I was 6. It sucked.

For me, I was ready when I knew I loved and trusted her, and was financially stable enough to support another person.

I've been with my wife since I was 19, and married for 10 years now. It is not easy, and takes a lot of work. Especially when you are young as you are, you and your girl will still mature and change. The challenge is to change together and not drift apart. Don't let fights run the relationship. I had a rough patch and we went to counseling. It worked for us, and helped us learn to communicate. You both need to want to work on it, not just one person.

All that being said, you are going to be with this person for a long time. Gotta be great friends, not just lovers. I enjoy the fact that my wife and I can just hang out in the backyard or where ever, just shut the fuck up, and still enjoy each others company.

If you want to marry her, do it, but don't feel you have to. There is no knowing now is the time, just like having kids.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    Mongoose likes this.
  16. Jun 6, 2014 at 9:52 AM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    This guy gets it haha.

17. Jun 6, 2014 at 10:08 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

well said

18. Jun 6, 2014 at 10:13 AM
    ArnieSea

ArnieSea Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arnie
    Salish Sea, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Double Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    Blazing Blue, with full tech package, Tow Package, & Tonneau cover.
    Excellent: One other add: Do not expect the other person to make you happy. We are responsible for our own well being. The test I used to determine my wife was the one was: "Do I like who I am and how I behave when I am with her?" Own your own shit. Don't dump on each other.

19. Jun 6, 2014 at 10:20 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Started dating my wife at 19 years old. 32 now, still together and still married.

Marriage is a lot of work, and a lot more compromise. It can work but I'll tell you know, it's harder than any job you'll ever have. Women are nuts!

We bicker, we fight, we have our moments, but in the end, we are happy, we are still in love, and it took a lot to get to where we are at today. Totally worth it.

20. Jun 6, 2014 at 10:26 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    There is lots of good advice on here. I'm now 29 and got married back in 2010. We celebrated 4 years back in February. In some ways it feels like we haven't been married but a year or less. In other ways, I feel like I've known her for 26 years.

I'm going to try to avoid some of the things that have already been mentioned. Again, there is some sound advice on here both for and against.

Do you want to sleep with other people? To me, marriage is a sacred bond. Some people are open to the idea, others are not. I don't know/care where both of you stand, but that is something to consider.

Do you each get along with the family of the other person? You are marrying them too.

I agree with the idea of travel together. It's good to see how someone does outside of their element. Plus, you get to see more places and experience things that you wouldn't otherwise.

I lived with my wife before we married. It hurt us in some ways, but it helped in some ways too. That comes down to you and her. Talk about it.

She was my best friend then. She's my best friend now. Sex is good, but don't base any decision on it.

Argue. I tend to let things roll off my shoulder and not argue. It's just my personality. It drives her nuts because she perceives it as not caring. Arguing helps you make a stand and lets her know that you care about what happens to you. It also lets you know that you can make it past an argument.

Talk about kids. Do you want them? How many? Who's family is more likely to help out.

Talk about money. Who is going to manage it? Do you combine accounts or keep them separate? Regardless of how you do it, you should come up with a budget....together.

What's ironic in my situation. Divorce is a foreign concept in her family. It's more of the norm in mine. One of her biggest concerns with marrying me is that I would leave her. She's come a lot closer to leaving me than I ever have to leaving her. Be prepared to fight.

It's not easy, but it isn't exactly hard either. It's one of those things that cannot be described accurately because it is different for everyone. Whatever you do, good luck!

Oh, and I see no problem with asking other opinions on a truck forum. You're being smart by asking people who are guaranteed to have a different opinion than you for their thoughts. Read everyone's advice. Whether you take it or not is up to you.

bjmoose likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top