1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Redneck Engineering Help Wanted

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mr Souc, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Jun 24, 2014 at 8:30 AM
    Mr Souc

Mr Souc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    - TacoME Satoshi - Hella Supertones - TRD front skid plate - TRD CAI - TRD cat-back exhaust - TRD short throw shifter - TRD 6 speed ball knob - Baja Soft 8 16" wheels - 285/75/16 BFG T/A KO2s - Pioneer AVH-P2400BT - OEM roof rack - Thule Aero roof rack - TSB Add-A-Leaf - 1" Level spacer up front - 5100s front & rear - Eibach 620lb coils - Toytec 2" add-a-leaf - Plasti-Dip bumper, badges, & roof
    Alright all, I need to ask for the help of all my backyard DIY'ers friends out there.

I have a 1996 Coleman Pop-Up Camper that is in great shape considering its nearly 20 years old. The only problem is bag that the awning rolls up and zips into for storage/travel is haggard. The sun has taken its toll on it over the years and the zipper finally gave in and ripped off of the bag this past weekend. I removed the whole awning assembly off the camper and have been brainstorming a fix...

I called a few local upholstery shops and got a few quotes as to how much it would be to sew a new zipper on the bag but the quotes have been in the ball park of $80 - $150 with a long turnaround time. I would like to save a few bucks and see if I can come up with a storage system myself.

I wanted to see if anybody has any cleaver ideas or fixes. I think some 4" PVC piping could be promising as shown in the link below:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27747027.cfm

I have also played with the idea of snapping in some grommets and making the whole assembly "lace" up like a shoe (think good old Chuck Taylors :)) with some bungee cord. Wouldn't be as convenient as a zipper but more durable.

Any thoughts? Also, how many beers will this job take? :)

Thanks all!

2. Jun 24, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    yotarob2005

yotarob2005 Kiss My IFS

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Bryan , Tx
    Vehicle:
    05 D-cab trd sport long bed
    Front Bilstien 5100's Set @ 1.75", rear 5100's & TSB springs, Flowmaster, TRD seat covers, Toyota All weather floor mats, 265/70-17 Michelin LTX AT2's, some Debadgeding, BHLM, led bed lights, 886 back up lights, fog lights anytime mod, Extra d-rings, Toyota bed mat, sockmoney TRD decals, Kenwood 890DNX, Firestone ride-rite air bags, 2 car seats.
    Or wrap a few zip ties around it? Carry a pair of side cutters (aka dikes in my day) and spares zip ties in the camper.

3. Jun 24, 2014 at 9:29 AM
    Mr Souc

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    - TacoME Satoshi - Hella Supertones - TRD front skid plate - TRD CAI - TRD cat-back exhaust - TRD short throw shifter - TRD 6 speed ball knob - Baja Soft 8 16" wheels - 285/75/16 BFG T/A KO2s - Pioneer AVH-P2400BT - OEM roof rack - Thule Aero roof rack - TSB Add-A-Leaf - 1" Level spacer up front - 5100s front & rear - Eibach 620lb coils - Toytec 2" add-a-leaf - Plasti-Dip bumper, badges, & roof
    I've put the bungees to it a few times while the bag was on its way out and it was a little sketchy. The road wind would raise heel at times and I'm afraid it would turn into a sail on me.

Zip ties are not a bad idea but I gotta say, I'm liking the Quick Fist idea, I've never even heard of them till I just goggled them. Those just might work! Any experience with them?

If I could mount them to the side of the camper, I bet they would cradle the awning assy pretty solid.

Looks like Amazon has a good selection. Can you get them at Lowes or HD too?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aquick+fist&keywords=quick+fist&ie=UTF8&qid=1403627241

4. Jun 24, 2014 at 9:47 AM
    Mr Souc

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
  5. Jun 24, 2014 at 9:57 AM
    Mr Souc

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the tip! Gotta love TW!

6. Jun 24, 2014 at 10:35 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I have the smaller version for holding hand tools and they've held up well. My dad has had 2 of them on his tractor for years and it is holding up.

7. Jun 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    Check your local thrift stores for old tents with storage bag, seen them sell really cheap.

Products Discussed in

To Top