Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Ask an IRRIGATOR (Sprinklers or Drip Irrigation)

Old 07-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Ask an IRRIGATOR (Sprinklers or Drip Irrigation)

I saw the thread 'Ask a Plumber' and since we also need water help outdoors where it doesn't rain consistently, I thought I would see if anyone here has irrigation related questions. The majority of my work is landscape irrigation and not agricultural or golf course in nature. I do work on fruit tree groves sometimes. I specialize in making old systems better by converting to low flow rotating sprinklers and drip irrigation. Also, I install smart (weather based) controllers that change the watering based on weather at your property.

Back in the 90's, I co-authored an irrigation design book to help solve some of the mysteries of how water works in pipes, valves and fittings so the installer will know how much water is available and what the pressure will be.

So, any sprinkler or drip design/ repair/ adjust/ upgrade questions, please ask away!

Here's that book with a couple of the tables from inside (sorry, it is now out-of-print):

Old 07-31-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
for offering assistance

don't need help now, but I'll keep you in mind
Old 08-01-2014, 02:23 AM   #3
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
I may need some help. I haven't turned mine on for 2 years. If I ever turn it back on there may be trouble.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #4
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
For sure, like using 4WD you should operate it regularly and fix breaks when you do a walk through of the system.

In planning an irrigation system, note your water supply source (meter size, pipe type and size, or well delivery limits). Then measure the area you want to irrigate (length x width) for ground cover, or distance for rows of shrubs or trees. Graph paper helps to draw the areas to scale.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Hell yeah!! I got a question for ya. The system in my house was installed professionally by the previous owner. So I don't know much about it. For instance, like where any of the valves are. Can't find one to save my life. I'm guessing they've been swallowed by the earth.

But my question is about the well pump. About a year+ ago, it was raining a lot so I turned off the system to save from drowning the yard. About 6 months later I went to turn it back on. I have a shut off valve for the well pump that sticks out of the ground. One of the pipes leading to the valve had a leak and was spraying water. I quickly turned off the system and once the pressure died down I checked the leak. It was a small hole most likely cause by a weed eater. I tried the system again and got nothing. No water, no pressure, zilch. I haven't touched the system since. Any ideas what's up with the pump?
Old 08-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #6

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
Hell yeah!! I got a question for ya. The system in my house was installed professionally by the previous owner. So I don't know much about it. For instance, like where any of the valves are. Can't find one to save my life. I'm guessing they've been swallowed by the earth.

But my question is about the well pump. About a year+ ago, it was raining a lot so I turned off the system to save from drowning the yard. About 6 months later I went to turn it back on. I have a shut off valve for the well pump that sticks out of the ground. One of the pipes leading to the valve had a leak and was spraying water. I quickly turned off the system and once the pressure died down I checked the leak. It was a small hole most likely cause by a weed eater. I tried the system again and got nothing. No water, no pressure, zilch. I haven't touched the system since. Any ideas what's up with the pump?
I am going to suggest you call your local well/pump supplier. I am going to guess it needs to be primed? I work 99% on city provided water with pressure from 50-150 psi. The few times I connect to a well supplied line, there were no problems. Just make sure the system flow does not exceed the well pump delivery rate (GPM).
Old 08-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #7

David K's Tacoma Gallery
More questions please... sprinklers, drip irrigation, controllers, valves... ???