1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NASCAR Driver Tony Stewart Involved In Fatal Accident

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by STOCKTRD, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 11, 2014 at 3:47 PM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Busted CV boots and lots of squeaks.
    Well I just watched the video again and thought of something.

Tony may have been watching the cars in front of him while traveling down the track. He may have seen the car on the wall, but may have also been watching the car in front of him. The "fish tail" everyone keeps talking about may have been an attempt to get out of the way. Unfortunately ending up with the untimely death of Ward.

I don't think he fishtailed into Ward. From the video, it appears to have happened after he was under the front tires.

2. Aug 11, 2014 at 5:52 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Icon Stage 5, Nexen Roadian MTX, Fuel KB43 Block wheels, Baja Design XL 80s, Baja Squad Pro WC fogs, TacoVinyl grill, "dudebro" lights, Prinsu rack, trail rash pinstripes, BAMF hybrid bumper, sliders, and LCA skids, and a few other things I can't think of.
    My friend works for 88 crew, and he's on the side of.... F Tony Stewart, but I'm not sure what I think from the few videos I've seen.

I do have one thought I'd like to add. Does dirt racing have communications with their team and pit just like regular nascar? Because if so, he'd of been told the kid was out on the track and to be careful. People saying he's simply following cars in front of him and accidentally hit him.. idk.

I don't know what I think. Shitty situation all around, but yeah. idk. Just a thought.

3. Aug 11, 2014 at 5:57 PM
    mnerren

mnerren 2006 Tacoma TRD Sport XSP

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab
    I bet this will cost Tony some serious money in the long run. I never thought he should have been playing around on the dirt tracks anyway. JMHO

4. Aug 11, 2014 at 6:01 PM
    anders99

anders99 The Sailing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Penscola, FL
    Vehicle:
    (07 Base 4cyl 4x4 - RIP) -> 2018 4Runner SR5 Premuim
    Taco SOS Offroad Concepts hybrid front bumper Iggy Corp. Switch panel Famous Fab ditch lights and cb antenna mount Pioneer Appradio 2 Halo Led Headlights Led Taillights 3'' toytech spacer lift on front end Toytec AAL on rear AFE cold air intake 4Runner Stock
    I think earlier in this thread it was mentioned that there is not much communication compared to regular nascar

5. Aug 11, 2014 at 6:25 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    congrats! and good luck! and something about jack stands!

6. Aug 11, 2014 at 6:27 PM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    He owns a few small teams, and races in small events wherever the nascar race is that weekend.

Racing is his life. I don't think he would throw it ALL away for vehicular manslaughter.

7. Aug 11, 2014 at 6:38 PM
    Justn868

Justn868 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    14 4x4 TRD OR
    WOW...LOL

8. Aug 11, 2014 at 7:44 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

:rolleyes:

Do you even watch NASCAR or any motorsport for that matter ? I have never seen you post in the NASCAR thread , and to correct your assumptions again for you , I don't hate NASCAR in fact I actually watch it , I'm just not a hardcore fan of it , kinda like how I watch Le Mans Series and Moto GP but don't totally follow those two series either

You're really reaching here dimwit

9. Aug 11, 2014 at 7:46 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

I always wondered if drivers had a piece of loose racecar in the cockpit with them , those debris cautions can be pretty convenient at times

10. Aug 11, 2014 at 7:58 PM
    saread

saread Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    14 AC TRD OR 4x4
    ProTec Tool Box
    Tony's involvement in sprint cars is way more than a few small teams. He has 4 drivers in various series: Donnie Schatz, Steve Kinser, Bryan Clausen and Bobby East. If those names don't fully resonate, give 'em a Google; especially Schatz and Kinser. He also owns Eldora Speedway, arguably the best dirt track in the country. It's not a hobby with him, it is what he is. That's why hes so popular among the short track crowd.

11. Aug 11, 2014 at 8:11 PM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Yeah. Was just trying to make a point.

I knew he was big into it owning some teams. Didn't know he owned a track and all that though.

12. Aug 11, 2014 at 8:56 PM
    saread

saread Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    14 AC TRD OR 4x4
    ProTec Tool Box
    I know, but it was a good one. People who don't know have a hard time fathoming why Stewart races away from NASCAR. Stock cars are what he does for a job. Sprint cars are who he is. This is why it is inconcievable that there would have been any intent at all in this incident. Sprint cars are volatile and the racing is hard. It's not NASCAR where wrecking people to win is considered fair game. Wrecking people intentionally in a sprint car carries a very real potential for a trip to the hospital, or worse. Everyone who races them knows this and respects it; including Tony Stewart. This wasn't Bowman Gray Stadium, there are lines that aren't crossed and Tony's dedication to this form of racing precludes the possibility that he would cross those lines.

A couple of other points that have to be made (or reiterated as the case may be): 1) Stewart had nothing to be pissed about. He didn't know Ward had hit the wall until he came around on the yellow and he was standing in the track pointing his finger. He didnt even know there was a beef until after he was stopped. 2) There would have been no incident at all if the driver of the 13 car had lifted ever so slightly when the 14 car took away the racing line. This was the first bad decision. 3) Had it been anyone else but Tony Stewart, there would be no controversy. It would be what it is: a very tragic accident.

13. Aug 11, 2014 at 9:44 PM
    Kala

Kala Well-Known Member

Member:
    BigIsland
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    yeah.

thats how things go. If it was the other way around, everyone would still be mad tony went out on the track and even more mad for killing a "legend". it is what it is and something to learn from.

14. Aug 11, 2014 at 9:47 PM
    Jo Dog

Jo Dog ROLL TIDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jo Dog
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010 double cab tacoma TRDoffroad SR5 V6 4x4
    Tony also does a lot of these races for charity

15. Aug 12, 2014 at 2:38 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    #3 Not totally true. Tony because of his nature brings the intent controversy out but, any big name would bring out the press in droves. Just think if Jr. was involved in this.

16. Aug 12, 2014 at 6:00 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    There is no way only a single team and France could cause an entire SERIES to get rigged without someone either spilling the beans, or someone else noticing and calling it out. Not gonna happen.

I was not saying there was a smoking gun there at all. I was defending that what was done with the tire had nothing to do with the accident, in case you missed that part.

Seriously? That is not only WRONG, but very rude to Kevin and his family. Show some respect man.

I do agree that I get sometimes confused on the caution flags getting thrown for some reasons, and not for others. I think it may be done sometimes to add some excitement to a race (Who doesn't like restarts?) but even then I don't see that as a blatant "rigging" of a race. Sure you may be bringing the cars together again if someone has a substantial lead, but a driver would still have to out race the leader. I look at that as a bit unsportsmanlike on the NASCAR camp, but not "rigging" in the sense that the initial person is claiming.

As mentioned before, sprint racing has NO radio communication at all. You have to look for flags and signals from your pit crew. Just like the old days in NASCAR.

17. Aug 12, 2014 at 7:40 AM
    saread

saread Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    14 AC TRD OR 4x4
    ProTec Tool Box
    No, it's true. Tony Stewart is only controversial within the confines of NASCAR. He was never controversial in the IRL and in the world of sprint cars and midgets, he's just thought of as being a really good driver and car owner. He gets his rep in NASCAR because of the WWE nature of the racing that doesn't necessarily jibe with his roots. If this was Jr., the Nation would likely be howling about how unfair it is to Him that someone would choose his car to commit suicide on. Just like in the WWE, NASCAR has faces and heels.

18. Aug 12, 2014 at 9:25 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

I would never make fun of Hockey. I have made fun of curling in the past, but some of the women in the last Olympics were OK looking so I knida got into watching it.

You want to keep the drama and name calling up take it to PM. Said it numerous times I'm not going to argue with you here, but you keep at it.

and for the people who think "I'm crazy".... I'm not the only one who can read between the lines

[​IMG] NASCAR Driver Tony... 08-11-2014 05:55 PM Thanks Skip. It's about time someone has the balls to say it like it is.

[​IMG] NASCAR Driver Tony... 08-11-2014 04:40 PM

[​IMG] NASCAR Driver Tony... 08-11-2014 04:08 PM

19. Aug 12, 2014 at 9:47 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    You are crazy

20. Aug 12, 2014 at 11:28 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    children, children......[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top