1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NASCAR Driver Tony Stewart Involved In Fatal Accident

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by STOCKTRD, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 10, 2014 at 12:20 AM
    STOCKTRD

STOCKTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    In Traffic
    Vehicle:
    CustomTacos Mafia!
    Nachos, Lemon Heads, My Truck Is Stock!
    Tony Stewart was involved in an on track incident at a dirt rack race. He apparently struck anther driver who was out of his car and on the track. The driver, Kevin Ward Jr., was run over by Stewart and was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Reddit Mega Thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/NASCAR/comm...tewart_ran_over_someone_at_a_sprint/?sort=new

Twitter account with sequence of events of what happened: https://twitter.com/PrescottRossi

Update: Confirmed by ESPN that Kevin Ward Jr. was killed in the incident.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  2. Aug 10, 2014 at 7:33 AM
    ToolFan66

ToolFan66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Littleton CO
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Off Road DCSB 4x4
    Very sad for everyone involved, Just came on the news, and said Tony will not race today, he made the right decision...

3. Aug 10, 2014 at 7:43 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    Too many drivers, Tony included, have got out of their cars in anger on the track. That needs to stop in all racing venues. Sad story.

4. Aug 10, 2014 at 7:47 AM
    NateMob

NateMob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    South Ogden
    Vehicle:
    1997 Land Cruiser
    Triple Locked
    Tony is a hot headed cry baby, i hope he never races again. I would be surprised if this was another driver, but not Tony Stewart.

Like when Earnhardt died, changes will no doubt be made to make the sport safer. Stay in your damn car!

5. Aug 10, 2014 at 7:57 AM
    Chicane

Chicane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    So Cal(Huntington Beach)
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Sport
    Ignorant comments by you and I'm guessing you never raced one day in your life. You hope Tony Stewart never races again, and I hope you never post stupid ignorant comments on here again when you don't know any of the facts.

6. Aug 10, 2014 at 8:00 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    If you look at the video of the terrible incident (I looked at it many times, several different vids before some were pulled down), and there are many still up on YouTube, it appears that Tony's race vehicle took a slight kick to the right, whether it was a move to scare or intimidate doesn't matter, he did have room to slow and move to the left and avoid, as did the competitor in front of him did...but he didn't...

This time I think he may have crossed the line..it doesn't look good...

Prayers to the Ward family...just a horrible and avoidable tragedy.....

7. Aug 10, 2014 at 5:01 PM
    09dcsb

09dcsb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    uvalde,tx
    Vehicle:
    09 dcsb
    maine truck rack, huskyliners, bhlm, marathon seat covers, camo ventvisors, k&n filter, lift and tires coming soon to a Tacoma near me
    I thought in the video it looked like the impact was what kicked his car to the right. the video I saw wasn't focused on the impact, I saw the before and the after. didn't see how kevin ward approached stewart. its a terrible tragedy but I don't see how tony can be 100% at fault. yes he's been known to climb out of his car, but nothing good can come out of getting out of your car mad and being in the middle of the track. thoughts and prayers to the ward family and tony stewart.

8. Aug 10, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    How do you figure that Tony was hotheaded here? There was no indication whatsoever, and we can only speculate at this. If you don't like Tony, then fine, but I have seen Kyle Busch do a HECK of a lot of stupid, hot headed things more than Tony ever did. More dangerous as well. I would expect KYLE to do something worse considering how he drives! Either way, until the investigation is over we should all refrain from making rash comments or decisions. That is what causes MORE stupid things to get done or said.

I've watched the videos a couple of times as well. It is hard to tell for sure because remember, this is on a DIRT track, where traction is terrible anyway. Perhaps Tony saw him right after the car in front of him passed Kevin. No way to see real well. Dark track, Kevin was in an all black firesuit..... I am thinking perhaps Tony saw him and jerked the wheel away at the last second, which could account for the back end kicking over.

We can all speculate until after the investigation.

9. Aug 10, 2014 at 5:45 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I don't watch racing so I am an outside source. Based on just the video only 1 person here can be blamed for their actions. I'll make it real simple, only one thing in the video didn't belong in the middle of a race track!

If there isn't already there should be serious penalties for exiting your vehicle and trying to confront drivers while they are driving. Other than this sensless death.
    The initial cause of the accident looked to be innocent.

Based on what is avaliable on youtube, you can guess and only guess what the driver of the car saw and was doing. I'd assume he didn't see the person in the track until after the car in front of him juked to the left, as he did very shortly after. Seems to me the guy on the track could have just as easily been hit by the first car that dodged him. If that were the case who then would be blamed? Responsibility for your actions falls in your hands because you cannot know what or how others will respond. If he would have stayed with his car as I would think would be some type of rule (remain with your car until you can safely exite the track.)

10. Aug 10, 2014 at 5:53 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    NASCAR is the WWE of motorsport with drivers coming out of wrecked cars to confront other drivers still in the race or throw their helmet at the passing cars as they go by under caution , that and the drivers confronting each other in the pits always being held back by their respective crews prior to the inevitable slap fight all the while being followed by the cameras and commentated on by the commentators

If NASCAR and the other series wanted to curb this behaviour they should institute stiff penalties for it

No way do I think Smoke intentionally hit Kevin Ward and the incident is a tragic accident but in my view an inevitable one due to the behaviour being tolerated by the top flight series

11. Aug 10, 2014 at 5:55 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    I look for them to start penalizing for walking on the track

12. Aug 10, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Why the fuck anyone would get out of a car on a highway or race track is beyond me.

He won't do that, again.

13. Aug 10, 2014 at 6:00 PM
    Jetlander

Jetlander Just trying to measure up...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (aka MOAB)
    Depends on the day.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 SR5
    TKO Wheel w/ 35" BFG KM2, Volant CAI, Safari Snorkel, 3" lift, All-Pro Full Skid Underarmor, Chopped/Re-Routed FlowMaster Exhaust, CBI Moab 2.0 Front Bumper, DerpWerx High Clearance Rear Bumper, Rear Tire Swing Out, BAMF Sliders w/Kickouts, King Resi w/700# Coilovers on front, Total Chaos UCA's, King Long Travel with Resi's, Shock Hoops and King 2.5 Bump Stops, OME Dakar Leaf Springs mounted on All-Pro Shackle Flip w/ U-Bolt Flip, extended SS Brake Lines, DerpWerx Bedrack, 10# C02 Tank, Black Badges, Dual Optima Red Top's, Blue Sea 12 Fuse Block on custom Block mount, SuperWinch 9.5iSR Talon w/synthetic line, Prolink Thimble, 20" Rigid Dual Row LED Light Bar, Rigid Dually Floods, OTRATTW Switches, Cab Mount Chop, Cobra CB w/ 4' Firestik, Center Counsel Glock 23 mount (with plenty o' ammo!), Weathertechs, and plenty more mods to come!
    There should be massive penalties for getting out of your car during a race. After a wreck (short of a fire) drivers shouldn't be allowed to exit their cars until a track marshall is present.

Never should a driver be allowed to walk on the track or pit road. This was bound to happen. Unfortunately it has...

14. Aug 10, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    rex99

rex99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    Rocket Boosters, Flux Capacitor, Escape Pod, Throttle Body Spacer, Homeroshi, ATRAC disable
    It's the heat of the moment. Adding penalties and more rules will do nothing. You can't legislate common sense.

15. Aug 10, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    Jetlander

Jetlander Just trying to measure up...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (aka MOAB)
    Depends on the day.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 SR5
    TKO Wheel w/ 35" BFG KM2, Volant CAI, Safari Snorkel, 3" lift, All-Pro Full Skid Underarmor, Chopped/Re-Routed FlowMaster Exhaust, CBI Moab 2.0 Front Bumper, DerpWerx High Clearance Rear Bumper, Rear Tire Swing Out, BAMF Sliders w/Kickouts, King Resi w/700# Coilovers on front, Total Chaos UCA's, King Long Travel with Resi's, Shock Hoops and King 2.5 Bump Stops, OME Dakar Leaf Springs mounted on All-Pro Shackle Flip w/ U-Bolt Flip, extended SS Brake Lines, DerpWerx Bedrack, 10# C02 Tank, Black Badges, Dual Optima Red Top's, Blue Sea 12 Fuse Block on custom Block mount, SuperWinch 9.5iSR Talon w/synthetic line, Prolink Thimble, 20" Rigid Dual Row LED Light Bar, Rigid Dually Floods, OTRATTW Switches, Cab Mount Chop, Cobra CB w/ 4' Firestik, Center Counsel Glock 23 mount (with plenty o' ammo!), Weathertechs, and plenty more mods to come!
    I suggest car AND driver suspension for 2 races. This will hurt not only the driver, but also the team. Peer pressure and $$$ will take care of this problem.

16. Aug 10, 2014 at 6:05 PM
    rex99

rex99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    Rocket Boosters, Flux Capacitor, Escape Pod, Throttle Body Spacer, Homeroshi, ATRAC disable
    And oh by the way, for anyone watching the race today, we almost saw a driver try to confront a passing driver while on foot. I forget the name of the kid (some rookie), but I imagine the safety worker right behind him talked some sense into him before he could do it.

17. Aug 10, 2014 at 6:12 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Make the first examples very serious to prove you intentions then let it fall off to driver and car out for 3 or more races. By serious I mean driver taking 50% of remaining season off. Its very harsh but put that out there. Notify the drivers via writing that from this point on until "X" amount of drivers have suffered the 50% rule it will be lifted and replaced with driver and car out for 2 races 1st offense, and stiffen from there. I bet you don't get to the "X" amount of 50%ers.

This was a serious accident with lingering affects for everyone. To not step up now and set clear guidlines as to how a driver is to behave is to condone such behavior. Making a clear statement that this is an acceptable loss for taking such action that will inevitably sort itself out.

18. Aug 10, 2014 at 6:17 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Couldn't Stewart get vehicular manslaughter or something similar for that? Just because it's on a race track doesn't mean you are above the law when it looks like he almost intended to get the car as close to the guy as possible by fish tailing the rear.

19. Aug 10, 2014 at 6:18 PM
    HectoRome

HectoRome Playing Scientist In The PNW

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off-Road Debadged, Icon Stuffs, MaxTrac Spindles, Dirt King LCAs, Archive Garage Shackle Flip
    59926P ICON 2.5 Remote Reservoir Front Coil Over Shocks 56103 Icon Rear Hydraulic Bump Stop Kit K53163 Icon RXT Leaf Springs Kit 58730 Icon 2.5 Front Remote Reservoir Coil overs 59926P Icon 2.5 RXT OMEGA Remote Reservoir By-Pass Shocks 58550 Icon Billet Aluminum Upper Control Arms Dirt King Steel Lower Control, 1” Uni-ball Joints Archive Garage Rear Leaf Spring Shackle Flip Kit TRD Cat Back Exhaust TRD High Flow Air Filter Kenwood Receiver + JL Audio Speakers Extended Stainless Steel Front Brake Lines Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines Electronic Locking Rear Differential Rigid LED Driving Lights LED Bar in Bumper Top Windshield LED Bar Custom TACOMA Raptor Grill w/ LED Running Lights METHOD Standard Matte Black Wheels
  20. Aug 10, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    :bananadead:

Thread Status: