Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Melonite treatment for bumpers

Old 08-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Melonite treatment for bumpers

Why has no company offered melonite treatment for their bumpers?
It is a durable finish.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
lovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff jonesy
lovethetaco's Tacoma Gallery
"Houston Plating" offers the process!
Old 08-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
That's cool, i hadn't really thought of it until I was researching coatings for my AR lower the other night.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
lovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlovethetaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff jonesy
lovethetaco's Tacoma Gallery
most companies that offer melonite, charge by the pound. so you can plate as little or much as you want.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:58 PM   #5
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
That's cool, i hadn't really thought of it until I was researching coatings for my AR lower the other night.

Nickel-Boron would be cool too. Slicker than greased owl shit.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #6
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder if nickel-Boron would be easier to clean because of how slick it is.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:05 PM   #7
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I wonder if nickel-Boron would be easier to clean because of how slick it is.
For sure. I bet you could wash bugs off with a garden hose. I have a spikes NiB BCG and it's tits. A quick wipe down and it's clean.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Nickel Boron is rated at 70c where the melonite is rated at 65c (rockwell scale).

I wonder what the cost/ longevity difference is?
Is the nickel boron a coating or a actual type of metal?
If it's a coating does it add to the thickness (Like chrome lining) or is it more like a stain that seeps into the metal to change it (Like melonite)?
Old 08-16-2014, 10:44 PM   #9
Fluffer

Quote:
Nickel Boron is rated at 70c where the melonite is rated at 65c (rockwell scale).

I wonder what the cost/ longevity difference is?
Is the nickel boron a coating or a actual type of metal?
If it's a coating does it add to the thickness (Like chrome lining) or is it more like a stain that seeps into the metal to change it (Like melonite)?
Nib isn't cheap. It is a coating, but a coating made of metal. It does add thickness, but not much. It doesn't flake off like chrome, it adheres to the metal very well. I can run my rifle with no lube for thousands of rounds with no ill effects to the coating, but I usually have a couple drops of frog lube on it.