1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"extreme" or high end coolers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JimBeam, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Sep 8, 2014 at 8:55 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam [OP] BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    sounds stupid

2. Sep 8, 2014 at 8:57 PM
    SoutheastTaco

SoutheastTaco Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    columbia sc
    Vehicle:
    09 trd sport dc 4x4
    rear spring tsb, 255/75/17 bfg muds
  3. Sep 8, 2014 at 9:00 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Come on. For a mere $4,000 you get a whopping 29" grilling surface. Then tack on the $1000 for the custom table to set it in since it weighs a metric ton, and only comes with chopsticks for legs. Can't think of anything else I'd rather drop that money on. :cool:

4. Sep 8, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    SoutheastTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    columbia sc
    Vehicle:
    09 trd sport dc 4x4
  5. Sep 8, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    coastalreb

coastalreb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Orca's have that super convenient web net pocket on the back of them. I keep like 20 coozies in there. Plus I won it for free in a raffle!

6. Sep 8, 2014 at 9:05 PM
    SoutheastTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    columbia sc
    Vehicle:
    09 trd sport dc 4x4
    BGE group buy?

7. Sep 8, 2014 at 10:20 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Heck yea!! I'll need the 10% off to afford to buy meat to cook on it. Or maybe a down payment on a stand. :D

8. May 12, 2015 at 1:06 PM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    I still haven't bought one of these yet and was all about the brute coolers (name now changed to bison coolers) I am now leaning hard toward the pelican cause they have about 2 in thick foam vs 1.5 in think of all the others and more feature and waaaaay cheaper. However I don't think any of thier 30qt+ size coolers will fit it the bed with my access tonneu cover. I think they are about 1.5in to tall :(. Anyone have pics of a pelican in the bed with a tonneau cover? Yes I have seen the one link with the 65.

Edit:

I now am thinking of getting an Ice Locker. They look exactly like the Yeti at much cheaper price (not cheaper on the website but I have found them cheaper near me) I think the price is too good to go with anything else lol and I know they will fit under my tonneau cover.

They look EXACTLY alike haha and for a "65Q" yeti is $400. for a 60q ice locker (near me) is half that cost and is actually much bigger than the yeti inside. The 60qt ice locker is actually about the size (internally) as the 105 yeti that sells for $480 (2.25cu ft vs 2.3 Cu ft)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. May 13, 2015 at 8:47 PM
    1stgen

1stgen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dade City/ Ft. Myers, FL
    Vehicle:
    18 SR5
    Honestly, bigger inside isn't always good. Sure it holds more drinks but for a fraction of the time you could hold them in a different, more insulated option. If this would be a one day cooler for you I'd go for the cheapest option with the biggest amount of room. The title says extreme or high end coolers and a knockoff won't exactly be either. Pelican makes an excellent product in basically anything they make. Yeti is great but falls short in interior space and high price. Engel is best of both worlds and is what I personally carry around but I've experienced most brands because of who I am friends with. Also check out Icey-Tek which is excellent as well.

ebbs15 likes this.
  10. May 13, 2015 at 8:50 PM
    MatthewMay1

MatthewMay1 I'm an amateur professional.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    The Yeti we have freezes things. It froze a cooler full of venison and ice together into one big block. It was in the back of the truck with 75Âş days

11. May 13, 2015 at 9:09 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    Ice locker is actually a brand not just a knock off I would love to give the pelican a try but don't think it will fit under my tonneau cover. I have heard of engel but honestly haven't read many good review on their coolers :/

12. May 13, 2015 at 9:29 PM
    Cali007

Cali007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB
    I bought an igloo sportsman. Same quality as a yeti for half the price.

13. May 13, 2015 at 10:26 PM
    MatthewMay1

MatthewMay1 I'm an amateur professional.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    But is it bear proof? That's all that really matters.

14. May 13, 2015 at 11:13 PM
    Cali007

Cali007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB
  15. May 14, 2015 at 7:43 AM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    There's a Chinese knockoff of the ARB fridge using the same high efficiency compressor selling for around $500. That's in line with some of these coolers. Also, after many months of searching CL, I found a brand new ARB fridge and picked it up for $750. The 50qt model. It's been terrific. Can't tell you how great it is NOT dealing with ice and ice water. This fridge will cool items in an hour or less from ambient temps. I also purchased a lithium ion back up battery that can run this fridge for 12-36 hours depending on ambient temps. When not using it traveling, we keep it in the garage w/ water, soda, and beer.

16. May 14, 2015 at 7:57 AM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    I love this thread and hearing people's reviews and such on coolers. An ARB fridge would be a great option if I were using it only in my truck but I would be using my cooler for fishing on the boat, in the truck but also other places where I won't have a truck, power or want a back up battery etc. They are "cool" nonetheless. :)

17. May 14, 2015 at 11:29 AM
    dogbite

dogbite Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    '10 double cab TRD OR
    OME lift, Leer shell, Beefed sliders, Extra 12V outlets for rear bench
    Costco has been selling the 65 qt Pelican's at a good price the last two years. I picked one up last year and love it. Performance has been good, it's tough.

18. May 14, 2015 at 11:37 AM
    SixthSnail

SixthSnail I have no idea what I'm doing

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    I have a 54 quart stainless steel coleman chest and it is killer. I went camping a couple weeks ago and put 20 lbs of ice in it with all our drinks. Never refilled it the entire 4 days and it still had about 10 lbs when we left. Also it has a handle that can lock which was nice to keep the raccoons out of it.

Edit: And it is cheap.

Here is the link to it on Amazon.

19. May 14, 2015 at 12:25 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    yeah I know they have them for like $250. Perfect you say that you have one cause I have been wanting to see some photos of how big it is in the bed and how tall it is in reference to my cover. Think you could snap a few and post??

20. May 15, 2015 at 12:20 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    great thread!!

year before last, we went elk hunting in Idaho. 10 days. we had many cooler. i had my janky igloo ultra cool. and in camp my brother brought his Engel Blue and his Grizzly. friend brought two yetis.

ice for ice..to be honest, my Igloo outlasted everything. but full disclosure, i knew my $60 chest was gonna be next to prime chest pedigree, so i was super careful about packing it. i pre-froze or pre-chilled everything. my chest had no beer, so it was the one opened the least. but my chest blew everything away..then both my latches and hinges broke. super easy to fix, and cheap..but what crap.

my brothers Grizzly chest? broke both latches. same rubber stretch ones..gone. gravity holds it closed now. my bro refuses to put the same crap back on.

the yeti is the easiest to keep clean. the smooth surface wipes clean easy..the Engel may have been the best..it has better insulation on the floor of the chest and kept things cold. the latches were top notch.

Products Discussed in

To Top