1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Laws making it illegal to smoke while driving if children in car

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by BamaToy1997, Sep 9, 2014.

?

Should all states adopt this law? (please read first)

1. Yes, all states should adopt this law

165 vote(s)
    80.5%
  2. No, there is no reason for a law like this

37 vote(s)
    18.0%
  3. I have no opinion on the matter/Don't know

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 9, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    mustangstephen

mustangstephen raise hell, drink beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    by da creek
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    Homebrew bumpers and sliders, 5100s & Eibachs up front and mutt leaf pack out back, 285s & Wheelers type B, sway bar deleted. Wife's ride: 01 4Runner 4wd sport. Stock with exception of TRD taco coils, and shift kit.
    The government should just take the children away since clearly the parents are not capable of being "responsible" adults. After all, the government knows what's best and would never hurt us right?

Oh, and good job preaching about how others are dumb while you can't even master elementary level English. Maybe you shouldn't have kids?

2. Sep 9, 2014 at 9:33 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 [OP] Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    By the way, PLEASE, in a hope for not getting this thread banned, let us keep it DIRECTLY on topid of laws involving smoking in a car with children. I will do my best to keep it there as well. I truly think this is an important subject, not just in a legal aspect, but in a moral aspect as a means to try to protect children who do not have a voice in the matter. Funny thing, I remember my oldest daughter telling me that one time when she was with a friend at her house and they were in the living room on the computer, she asked the girl's father to please not smoke around her, because she wanted to grow up healthy. The father was actually very kind, and my daughter said that he got up, and walked outside to finish his cigarette!

3. Sep 9, 2014 at 9:37 AM
    mustangstephen

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    by da creek
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    Homebrew bumpers and sliders, 5100s & Eibachs up front and mutt leaf pack out back, 285s & Wheelers type B, sway bar deleted. Wife's ride: 01 4Runner 4wd sport. Stock with exception of TRD taco coils, and shift kit.

I'm just pointing out the precedent set if we accept that laws can be passed (like has been done) based on what could happen rather than event that can be proven in court. Does that make sense? Do you want to be told you can't own that because you might kill a bus load of nuns?

I go to an extreme because I'm looking past the initial law and how it could be applied elsewhere or used as a basis for another law. It's the American way now. This law didn't work as planned so lets pass a new law to prevent people from braking this law. Why do we accept this? Look at all the replies in this tread about people are to dumb to know how to take care of their own kids and the government should do something. And you're telling me I'm extreme.

4. Sep 9, 2014 at 9:39 AM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    You missed *too*

snickers

5. Sep 9, 2014 at 9:40 AM
    BAMS

BAMS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX TRD Access
    How did we ever make it out of the 60's, 70's and 80's without all these progressive ideas like a friggin law for everything?

6. Sep 9, 2014 at 9:40 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    That statement does not apply. People are ALREADY smoking with their kids in the car. It's not a hypothetical situation; it's a problem that's already occurring.

Go back another decade and you have doctors recommending that people start smoking.

Ignorance is bliss?

I don't support the concept of a law for everything, but I do support some laws for some things.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  7. Sep 9, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    The government knows whats best for us, pretty sure I read that in this thread a bit a go. It was probably in jest, however, while going through the stupid laws, here is one for you guys:

Clove or other non-harmful cigarettes are illegal

United States

The Federal government wants to make sure plenty of people are still funneling their money towards’ big tobacco’s products, even if they do kill them.
    SEC. 907. TOBACCO PRODUCT STANDARDS.
    ‘(a) In General-
    ‘(1) SPECIAL RULES-
    ‘(A) SPECIAL RULE FOR CIGARETTES- Beginning 3 months after the date of enactment of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, a cigarette or any of its component parts (including the tobacco, filter, or paper) shall not contain, as a constituent (including a smoke constituent) or additive, an artificial or natural flavor (other than tobacco or menthol) or an herb or spice, including strawberry, grape, orange, clove, cinnamon, pineapple, vanilla, coconut, licorice, cocoa, chocolate, cherry, or coffee, that is a characterizing flavor of the tobacco product or tobacco smoke. Nothing in this subparagraph shall be construed to limit the Secretary’s authority to take action under this section or other sections of this Act applicable to menthol or any artificial or natural flavor, herb, or spice not specified in this subparagraph.
    ‘(B) ADDITIONAL SPECIAL RULE- Beginning 2 years after the date of enactment of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, a tobacco product manufacturer shall not use tobacco, including foreign grown tobacco, that contains a pesticide chemical residue that is at a level greater than is specified by any tolerance applicable under Federal law to domestically grown tobacco.

Here is the link:
    http://www.stupidlaws.com/clove-or-other-non-harmful-cigarettes-are-illegal/

8. Sep 9, 2014 at 9:48 AM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
    Bama, you keep talking about "taking it to an extreme". Well "extreme" is subjective too. Many years ago, before most of us were born, the idea of the government issuing each of us a number with which we could be tracked and monitored was considered extreme. When social security was proposed, there were people who opposed it on those grounds and those people were accused of "taking it to extremes". The people were assured that the numbers that would be issued to everyone would never be used for anything beyond the administration of the program. What happened to those promises? What about the tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorists who's fears have all come true?
    I've never tried it, but I'm sure you've heard about putting a frog in a pot of water and turning up the heat slowly (nothing too extreme)

Well I think the water in this pot has gotten way too hot.

9. Sep 9, 2014 at 9:50 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    ^^^ This

Well said +1 to you sir.

10. Sep 9, 2014 at 9:50 AM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
  11. Sep 9, 2014 at 9:52 AM
    mustangstephen

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    by da creek
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    Dammit :kicksdirt: I hate calling people out for spelling because I inevitably miss something like that in my reply. I

And they're getting out of the car and playing like nothing is wrong. Again until a doctor says damage has/is occurring what can be proved on a case by case basis? We should just pass a broad law to cover everyone because that's the new way.

I'm going to bow out for a while in an effort to keep this on track for you. I've made my point and none of us are changing anyone's opinions.I just can't stand people saying others are to stupid to know whats good for them so we should pass a law. Ok, I'm gone.

12. Sep 9, 2014 at 10:00 AM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    Already been shown that damage is occurring.

Health Effects: Children

In children, secondhand smoke causes the following:
    Ear infections
    More frequent and severe asthma attacks
    Respiratory symptoms (e.g., coughing, sneezing, shortness of breath)
    Respiratory infections (i.e., bronchitis, pneumonia)
    A greater risk for sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)

In U.S. children aged 18 months or younger, secondhand smoke exposure is responsible for:
    An estimated 150,000–300,000 new cases of bronchitis and pneumonia annually
    Approximately 7,500–15,000 hospitalizations annually

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/general_facts/

13. Sep 9, 2014 at 10:03 AM
    crazy joker

crazy joker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Charlotte area, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB sport 4x4
    Real men just call it camping
    People shouldn't smoke at all around their children. Hell, people shouldn't smoke at all, period. But we have way too many laws as it is. Agreed, this law would help protect some children sometimes, but at some point we need to trust people to do the right thing...or except that fact that they won't. Being in the sun too long can give you/ your children a sunburn and cause cancer. Should that be illegal? The way our society is going, it may be that way at some time. Rant over. :)

14. Sep 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge

In the interest of honoring Bama's request, do you think you can put the derp back in its case?

15. Sep 9, 2014 at 10:23 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    Maybe we should make it a law to not allow children under the age of 18 see their parents drink alcohol. I think smoking with kids in the car with windows rolled up is stupid but should not be a law. The police have enough stuff to deal with besides this.

16. Sep 9, 2014 at 10:29 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    And where do you see the "stupid" in this law? The idea behind the law was to stop tobacco companies from making their cigarettes "appealing" to children, as would happen if you started putting flavoring in them.

I guess I am not getting my point out there as to what I meant by extremes. I am not meaning them in general. The specifics I was commenting about getting into extremes is the discussion that if parents are bad, then we shouldn't let them BE parents. To me THAT is extreme. We already have laws that say we can't beat a child (though that one is used pretty loosely to include spanking them, and is for another topic entirely) And we also have laws that say we must educate them, and we must not give them cigarettes. So why is it acceptable to smoke in a car with a child, but then not acceptable to let the children buy them? (NOTE: I am NOT advocating letting children buy cigarettes, only pointing out that we have laws that say a child can't have cigarettes, because of the health risks, so why do we allow those who smoke to do it in an enclosed car with children inside.)

First off, PLEASE do not bow out. I am not asking ANYONE to not express their opinions. I value EVERYONE'S opinion, even if it does not agree with mine. I think limiting discussions will only make things one-sided, and that is not what I am trying to do here. The only way people can become educated in things is to LEARN, and the only way to learn is be provided with information. Limiting this information then results in people voting or basing THEIR opinion on insufficient facts. Plenty of people I disagree with on here, and I have no problem with a debate. I freaking LOVE to debate, because THAT is where I learn things. Where I draw the line is when people I disagree with start name calling and directly insulting me and others. (Which has not happened in this thread thankfully, and I hope it never gets to that)

Tell me this, and again, I am not raising insult or injury, I am just curious your opinion: We have a law against children buying cigarettes. Do you agree with this, and regardless of your thoughts on that question, do you agree at least with the PRINCIPAL behind why they are making laws banning smoking in cars with children? What would YOU propose we do then to protect the children from the dangers of second hand smoke?

17. Sep 9, 2014 at 10:32 AM
    BAMS

BAMS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX TRD Access
    In all seriousness, I get the premise that is being presented. People show ignorance by subjecting their children to something harmful like smoking. I think what a few of us are trying to say is, people are becoming too reliant upon laws and rules. Home owners associations, seat belt laws, helmet laws, super size drink laws and so on... What happened to personal freedom and responsibilities?

18. Sep 9, 2014 at 10:36 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    It went to hell because a large portion of people want the freedom, but not the responsibility.

19. Sep 9, 2014 at 10:40 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    The thing is, the poll is meant to get personal OPINION, not draw on facts. It just shows that of the SMALL percentage of people who responded, the majority support the law. The only way to REALLY get a proper poll is to take into account ALL demographics. I was curious what my fellow Tacoma owners OPINIONS were.

20. Sep 9, 2014 at 10:40 AM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    Exactly. If the people were opting to use the responsibility, we wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top