1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota's new compact concept is for urbanites in need of utility

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by surfsupl, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Sep 9, 2014 at 9:22 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    [​IMG]

It has the functionality of a compact truck, the spaciousness of a cargo van, and the size of a compact car. In a nutshell, that's how Toyota describes the newly revealed Urban Utility concept. I'd describe it as a highly configurable box on wheels.
    The Urban Utility concept (U² or U Squared for short) was unveiled today at a private event hosted by Make Magazine in San Francisco and was developed by Toyota's Calty Design Research facility in Newport Beach, California. The concept was designed to be "a flexible, functional gadget that owners can customize according to individual on-the-go needs."

http://www.cnet.com/news/toyota-urban-utility-concept-revealed/

2. Sep 9, 2014 at 9:40 PM
    TacoTT520

TacoTT520 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Fort Hood, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Full OME w/ 885's, LR UCA's, Wheelers superbumps (front), All Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit with Poly bumpstops, SS Extended Rear Brake Lines, All Pro rock sliders, 255/85/16 KM2's on stock TRD rims
    looks like the toyota version of a PT Cruiser, although i think its ugly as hell it looks very funtional. i could easily see many businesses using this as a delivery or around the town type vehicle.

3. Sep 9, 2014 at 10:21 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    Kind of brings back memories of the A-Bat, had the same concept kind of...but never came into fruition.

toyota-a-bat-concept-rear-view_765f753f451d75998e24cc3d01bed2160cf5554b.jpg

4. Sep 10, 2014 at 3:29 AM
    DrLou

DrLou New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Nissan Kingcab ST
    The U2 looks like it would be very practical and versatile vehicle. No details were provided about the drive-train except it is expected to get good MPG. This sort of suggests an internal combustion engine of some kind. The flat and low cargo area might suggest it's a FWD van but this is only speculation. If that is true, this vehicle would only be good for light hauling because hauling heavy loads is most effective when the load is over the drive wheels. This is why all serious trucks have RWD or 4WD. However it would be great for light-duty urban deliveries and home use. Because hybrids are most efficient in city driving, I'd like to see it come with a PHEV engine option with good electric range. Personally, I'd love to see it come with a PHEV with a small diesel. That would be the best of both worlds, hybrid electric for great city MPG and diesel for great highway MPG, but Toyota hasn't been too keen on making diesels for NA. The real question is will it ever be produced? The A-BAT was a great concept that never saw the light of day so I guess we'll have to wait and see if this is just another tease or the real thing.

5. Sep 10, 2014 at 3:52 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    IMO, it's really ugly. Pretty sure I wouldn't buy one regardless of how much utility it offered.

6. Sep 10, 2014 at 4:43 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    Compact panel van? I kind of like it. :anonymous: I would like it more without the Jeepish front end though. And maybe a lift. And possibly a 4x4 option. And bigger tires. :D

7. Sep 10, 2014 at 5:19 AM
    CRU

CRU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    20" Enkei WT4 wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 265/50, Steel braided brake lines, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS deck w/JBL GTO cones, OEM Smoked headlights, OEM LED tails, Clazzio seat covers, aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Fumoto oil valve, Grillcraft MX grille w/Land Cruiser "TOYOTA" emblem, Redline QuickLIFT hood struts, Leather TRD shift knob, 13" shorty antenna
    I like it. Don't care for that front bumper though. Sounds like a good idea. The wheels remind me of the Momo Idea that was popular in the 90's.

Products Discussed in

To Top