Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

DC to AC inverters installs

Old 09-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
WileECoyote is on a distinguished road

WileECoyote's Tacoma Gallery
DC to AC inverters installs

I've been back and forth on what to put in my truck for 120Vac source. I have an older 200W Schumacher that I have used ON/OFF over the years and it has done very well for me. But now I am thinking about finally mounting it, now that I have a truck. The thing is, I am thinking about NOT mounting this one and getting a bigger DC/AC inverter? I've been reading that you would need a min 2500W DC/AC inverter and a larger alternator in order to handle loads like a decent size electric motor and the like? If I am to eventually change out the alternator, I really don't want to have to modify the truck very much if at all? I do NOT mind putting in a bigger alternator, but would like to put one in that basically bolts right up without modifications? Is this even possible? Do they make "bigger" alternators to replace the smaller stock ones, but without having to modify anything???

If you have installed inverters in your Taco trucks:
1) what kind (who makes it)
2) how much wattage output does it provide
3) where did you guys/gals install them in or outside the cab
4) if any pics, could you please post them to give me some ideas about mounting and/or where to mount

I have a RegularCab so I'm pretty much S.o.L. when it comes to the "where to mount it", but still have SOME options/places open to me

Thanks for any input and happy 4whln
Old 09-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
From basic electrical theory you will need an alternator capable of supplying in the neighborhood of 200 amps to power an inverter with 2500 watts input. An alternator that size and the wiring to handle that would be pretty large. I would suggest that if you need that kind of power you should look at a standalone generator, perhaps an inverter generator for fuel economy.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
nealkas is a glorious beacon of lightnealkas is a glorious beacon of lightnealkas is a glorious beacon of lightnealkas is a glorious beacon of lightnealkas is a glorious beacon of light
Marines: Motor T, other duties as required. ;-)
Name: nealkas
nealkas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azreb View Post
. I would suggest that if you need that kind of power you should look at a standalone generator.
Agree.

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines...1169-html.html
Old 09-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
WileECoyote is on a distinguished road

WileECoyote's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azreb View Post
From basic electrical theory you will need an alternator capable of supplying in the neighborhood of 200 amps to power an inverter with 2500 watts input. An alternator that size and the wiring to handle that would be pretty large. I would suggest that if you need that kind of power you should look at a standalone generator, perhaps an inverter generator for fuel economy.
azred and nealkas, I guess I kinda figured that would be the case. I just know that some people by those 1000W or more DC to AC inverters and put them in their car/truck/RV's. All I was doing was trying to "maximize" a 120Vac source. I don't necessarily "need" that type of power, if you understand where I going with it? Sort of off subject, but I know some people "beef-up" their alternators because of extra power consumptions from added lights and what not and that is where I was going with that particular statement. Anyways, I guess, I will just go with my 200W or get a 400W power inverter and just leave it at that. I know those are good to go because I also have used a 400W as well, but nothing beyond that. Thanks guys for the input/suggestions.

happy 4whln people