1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DC to AC inverters installs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by WileECoyote, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Sep 25, 2014 at 8:04 PM
    WileECoyote

WileECoyote [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    Yaesu FT-1900R w/ 2m/70cm Comet SBB-224 antenna, Cobra 19 DX IV w/ 4ft Francis CB24 Hot Rod antenna, Uniden Bearcat BC355N 800Mhz mobile scanner (analog), an external BNC mount routed to inside the cab for a handheld fire/police scanner or HAM HT's, Rancho RS5000 front struts and rear shocks, 6in KC Daylighter (pencil beam), 15x7 Black Rock Wheels Series 942, 31x10.50R15 Firestone Destination AT, fog lights, COBRA antenna hood mount (this is used to mount the GoPro on to)
    I've been back and forth on what to put in my truck for 120Vac source. I have an older 200W Schumacher that I have used ON/OFF over the years and it has done very well for me. But now I am thinking about finally mounting it, now that I have a truck. The thing is, I am thinking about NOT mounting this one and getting a bigger DC/AC inverter? I've been reading that you would need a min 2500W DC/AC inverter and a larger alternator in order to handle loads like a decent size electric motor and the like? If I am to eventually change out the alternator, I really don't want to have to modify the truck very much if at all? I do NOT mind putting in a bigger alternator, but would like to put one in that basically bolts right up without modifications? Is this even possible? Do they make "bigger" alternators to replace the smaller stock ones, but without having to modify anything???

If you have installed inverters in your Taco trucks:
    1) what kind (who makes it)
    2) how much wattage output does it provide
    3) where did you guys/gals install them in or outside the cab
    4) if any pics, could you please post them to give me some ideas about mounting and/or where to mount

I have a RegularCab so I'm pretty much S.o.L. when it comes to the "where to mount it", but still have SOME options/places open to me:rolleyes:

Thanks for any input and happy 4whln

2. Sep 26, 2014 at 11:45 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    From basic electrical theory you will need an alternator capable of supplying in the neighborhood of 200 amps to power an inverter with 2500 watts input. An alternator that size and the wiring to handle that would be pretty large. I would suggest that if you need that kind of power you should look at a standalone generator, perhaps an inverter generator for fuel economy.

3. Sep 26, 2014 at 11:52 AM
    nealkas

nealkas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nealkas
    Pee-Ay
    Vehicle:
    08 Superwhite DCSB 4x4, stock.
    Agree.

4. Sep 26, 2014 at 1:51 PM
    WileECoyote

WileECoyote [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    Yaesu FT-1900R w/ 2m/70cm Comet SBB-224 antenna, Cobra 19 DX IV w/ 4ft Francis CB24 Hot Rod antenna, Uniden Bearcat BC355N 800Mhz mobile scanner (analog), an external BNC mount routed to inside the cab for a handheld fire/police scanner or HAM HT's, Rancho RS5000 front struts and rear shocks, 6in KC Daylighter (pencil beam), 15x7 Black Rock Wheels Series 942, 31x10.50R15 Firestone Destination AT, fog lights, COBRA antenna hood mount (this is used to mount the GoPro on to)
    azred and nealkas, I guess I kinda figured that would be the case. I just know that some people by those 1000W or more DC to AC inverters and put them in their car/truck/RV's. All I was doing was trying to "maximize" a 120Vac source. I don't necessarily "need" that type of power, if you understand where I going with it? Sort of off subject, but I know some people "beef-up" their alternators because of extra power consumptions from added lights and what not and that is where I was going with that particular statement. Anyways, I guess, I will just go with my 200W or get a 400W power inverter and just leave it at that. I know those are good to go because I also have used a 400W as well, but nothing beyond that. Thanks guys for the input/suggestions.

happy 4whln people

Products Discussed in

To Top