1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Am i being irrational?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CH0CO T4CO, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 1, 2014 at 7:52 PM
    CH0CO T4CO

CH0CO T4CO [OP] Taco Noob

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 DC SB TRD Sport Prerunner
    So today I went to take myself, my gf and her two kids to the movies to go see the new WWII tank movie Fury with Brad Pitt. One is 13 and the little one is 4. Now we've taken them both to rated R movies before one of which was 300 which all of us should know is quite the violent movie. She doesn't mind exposing her children to violence in movies nor does she censor them much period when it comes to other things such as video games either. I tend to agree with her i don't see the point in censorship especially when half the shit on cable TV is worse than rated R movies.

Anyways to the point, apparently there is a new rule that states children 6 and under are not allowed to see rated R movies even with parental consent. The reason is not what i had expected either, the reason they don't allow children that young is due to the graphic content of a movie. I thought the reason would be because children that young make too much noise; are disturbing other movie-goers of the proper age.

They apologized for the inconvenience and asked if i would like to exchange the tickets for a different movie to which i replied "no this is ridiculous i would just like to get my money back".

What do you guys think, am I overreacting or should I be more understanding?

2. Nov 1, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    wtf is a parents job then?

3. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:01 PM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Censorship isn't the right word for responsible parenting. I think you're overreacting here.

4. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:14 PM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    R - restricted. People under 17 years of age may only be admitted if accompanied by a parent or guardian. I guess the theater management thinks they know better than your girlfriend. :rolleyes:

5. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:14 PM
    CH0CO T4CO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Who are you or who is anyone to tell me what responsible parenting is or isn't, It isn't your job or anyone elses job to tell me what i can or cannot expose my children to...

6. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:15 PM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    I'm not sure you understand what some parents take or allow their kids to watch. Sex and violence imo are reserved for mature and developed minds that are able to consciously separate good and bad.
    Taking a child that age to see bewbs, sex or gore regardless of the movie's message may be a fine line.
    I am not judging you or those that do by any means but, raising 3 educated, cool, responsible and successful children myself, I feel society needs to support non exposure at such a young age.
    Pick your battles, let it go.

7. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:15 PM
    okie

okie Pick your poison

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    sr5 Tundra
    Wow...

8. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:15 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    agreed (within reason of course...........some things are just a no-no), but not a freaking mainstream movie, that should be parental judgement

9. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:16 PM
    CH0CO T4CO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    No, i looked it up. There is a legitimate rule about not allowing children 6 and under into rated-R films. Let me find the link.

10. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:17 PM
    CH0CO T4CO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Of course within reason, If i'm abusing my child or being straight up neglectful in any way then yes of course someone should step in, but this is not the case in this situation.

11. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:24 PM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    The MPAA rating system is voluntary & is not enforced by any law. The theater management is overstepping their authority.

12. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:24 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    It's to keep parents as yourself from taking a 4yo to a violent movie. :facepalm:

13. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:26 PM
    okie

okie Pick your poison

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    sr5 Tundra
    WHY would you want your small kids exposed to view violent & sexual shit if it can be prevented? :confused:

14. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:27 PM
    jjew18

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    This vvvvv

15. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:28 PM
    jjew18

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Who says they cannot have their own rules?

16. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:31 PM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    By you exposing your children to such material not intended nor recommended for such young and undeveloped minds.....in most circles....is by definition child abuse and "neglectful". If you see it as normal though....party on Garth :rolleyes:.

17. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:31 PM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    Overstepping their authority in a privately owned theatre?
    Seriously?
    Soooo this would mean theatres across the nation have been overstepping their authority for how many years on PG/PG13/R movies?

Bastards. Class action time bitches.

18. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:32 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    I went to see A Million Ways to Die in the West. There was a father with his 2 sons in the row beside me. The boy right beside me was probably 5. Sarah Silverman had like a 2 minute monologue about getting butt-fucked at the beginning. It was pretty uncomfortable sitting beside the kid as he giggled. It was weird. Didn't have a lot of respect for the dad in that case.

19. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:45 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I don't even know how to respond to this thread.

It doesn't sound like these are your children, or you have any experience of being a father. It sounds like you're dating a woman who has kids from a previous marriage.

You're pissed off that the theater - many theaters - don't think taking small children to incredibly violent adult movies is a good idea and aren't even willing to take your money. You were planning on seeing that movie. You were looking forward to it. They wouldn't let you. It's NOT FAIR.

Quite honestly, you sound more like a kid than a parent here. Being a good parent isn't always about making the most convenient choice.

My next door neighbor had to sell FUCKING GAME FOUR WORLD SERIES TICKETS because he and his wife couldn't get a good babysitter!

Time to start growing up kid.

20. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:49 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Asshole kids usually have asshole parents. Then they grow up and become asshole parents themselves. It's sadly, a never ending cycle. Sometimes I almost think, like a drivers license, you should have to take a test to have a child. Atleast for the child's sake. Case in point. The OP's girlfriend. She'd probably fail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top