1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I need to make $1,000 in one month!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by eltacoutah, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Nov 13, 2014 at 12:03 PM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    Pay someone to give you aids. Create a gofundme profile and beg people for money.

2. Nov 13, 2014 at 12:04 PM
    Sefferston

Sefferston I like Tacos.

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Germany
    Vehicle:
    ZOMG B-RED!
    I've got that one thing, and that other one thing, oh yeah and that other other one thing.
    Oh of course. This is a well known fact.

3. Nov 13, 2014 at 12:04 PM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
  4. Nov 13, 2014 at 12:15 PM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
  5. Nov 13, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    Find deals on ebay, sell on cl.

People are willing to pay a bit extra to see something in person before buying ;)

And if you can fix peoples broken stuff you can make EASY money.

Broken things on ebay go for dirt cheap, espically cellphones simple cracked screens

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Nov 13, 2014 at 12:41 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nice man. Sturdy design?

7. Nov 13, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    College assignment eh?

You don't say it - but at the end of the day I'm guessing the goal is that you turn in a business plan, not actually go out and hump it and start a small business that can turn a thousand bucks. A thousand dollars isn't earned easily and you'll have to bust butt to do it - spending far more hours than a single class assignment can justify.

Also, it's supposed to be legal. Depending on where you are - you could burn your entire sixty just filing for a local business license, not to mention the fair part of a day down at the county recorder's office.

In general, you need to think about whether you're selling physical products, or services. The US is increasingly a service based economy. But for a small business just starting out - there are other advantages to a service based business - you're probably leveraging skills you already have (e.g. auto detailing) and perhaps using tools you already own (e.g. an electric buffer)

For a product based business, you need enough capital to acquire or manufacture the tools and raw materials you're hoping to sell. You need space to make and store them. TW Vendor BAMF is an example of a product based business. He started out by jumping in with both feet, rented a shop, bought thousands of dollars in expensive tooling - but only after he had a likely lead on a customer that would consume most of his production capacity.

A different type of "product based" business is the "drop shipment" storefront business where you sell things that are only paid for after you receive money from your customer, and are shipped directly from a manufacturer (that isn't you) TW Vendor "TruckAlterations" is an example of a drop-ship type business. However, you need a storefront (real or online) and some type of customer connections (generated by marketing) to get going here.

And that brings us to marketing. How do you get that very first customer? It may be harder than you think. For your hypothetical detailing business, perhaps you could market to faculty and staff at your university (students are probably too cheap) by distributing fliers on campus.

Where are you going to put your money once you earn it? How are you going to track your financials? As a "sole proprietor" type business, you'll be taxed on your "bottom line" of revenue - expenses = net income. You need to keep good enough records to be able to calculate these numbers accurately enough to satisfy the IRS. Now, since $1000 is below the minimum income threshold for income tax filing - perhaps you can get a pass here.

Etc...

8. Nov 13, 2014 at 12:50 PM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    heck yeah. i have a 2x2 glued and screwed to the sides for the slates to sit on fixed strategically so the slates are the same height as the tops of the legs so more support on each corner. i need a new box spring on the one i built for me, but there is no issue with the bed. also i ingeniously designed the back of the head board to stick out the exact same as the back of the bottom of the bed, so they both are tight up against the wall so i dont knock any holes in the sheet rock.

i built that king size for a buddy and had to run a 2x4 in the middle for support since kings are a two piece boxspring, but he has had no complaints. there was about $125 stain screws wood and sand paper in the king size since i couldnt just cut 10' boards in half for the ends and the head board, so i just bought 8' and used the end pieces cut of for the vertical runners on the footboard.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  9. Nov 13, 2014 at 12:52 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks. I might PM you later about it when I go for it myself.

10. Nov 13, 2014 at 7:50 PM
    odomandr

odomandr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSBTRDOR silver streak mica 2023 T4R Ltd blizzard pearl
    Icon, SPC,, ARB, BAMF, Warfab, SCS, Michelin, Leer Stock
    Buy tickets to resell. get in on the early bird price or the fanclub pricing, nye is approaching buy some tickets to local events. Look for student tickets to sporting events to resell.

11. Nov 14, 2014 at 9:34 AM
    Harders1

Harders1 I live Dangerously - I color outside the lines

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 2013 Sport Double Cab 4x4 Debadged
    3-inch Lift - Fabtech (Bilstein Shocks) with Add a leaf in back Differential Drop Total Chaos Upper Control Arms Cat Back MagnaFlow Exhaust Moto Metal wheels 285/70/17's - Open Country AT2's 30"inch light bar - installed in grille. Hitch - 6,000 lb rating Limo Tint Back-up camera Touch Screen Radio w/ USB and AUX connections AGR Vent Visors Shorty Antenna Sliders (weld on) (Avid) Raptor Mod - because why not
    If you have Bow Staff skill and numb chuck skill you can teach those skills to kids as Private lessons. Easily $50 per session. HA!

12. Nov 14, 2014 at 9:38 AM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    are numb chucks nun chucks that may cause paralysis?

13. Nov 14, 2014 at 9:55 AM
    mitchellak

mitchellak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Severn, MD
    Vehicle:
    TRD Tacoma
    Toytec ultimate lift LR UCA DAKARS ICON RR BEEFED Sliders Airflow Snorkel Pelfreybilt hybrid front Pelfreybilt highclearance rear
    I made this table for my wife out of wine crates she got from a craft store. she got instructions off pinterest for me. only took a couple hours to make and doesn't take up tons of space. they were seliing for $200-300 who didn't want to make their own.

table.jpg

14. Nov 14, 2014 at 9:55 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    If it was still summer, I'd say start a lawn mowing business. I had one when I was in high school during the summers and depending on how much I worked, could easily rack up $300 a day. You have to build a route though so it takes awhile, but, I started in 8th grade and had a pretty good business going by my senior year.

Now that it's winter, you could probably do pretty good shoveling snow for little old ladies.

15. Nov 16, 2014 at 12:33 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    I know a girl who used to work at a sperm bank.

Unfortunately she can't work at any more sperm banks, she got caught drinking on the job.

:D

16. Nov 16, 2014 at 12:41 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...

Send her to me, I'll put her to work right quick! :bananadance:

17. Nov 16, 2014 at 1:00 PM
    VermonterLost

VermonterLost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Castleton, VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 F150
    These are legit things I have done:

Bought a shovel for $20, became a gravedigger. Been doing that for 8 years. Not steady work but $650 a hole. Been through 5 shovels.

Scraped a barn in trade for an evaporator and some buckets. Made 30 gallons of Maple syrup the first year ($45 a gallon)

Changed the oil on an old guy's f150 ($20). Fixed his lawn mower the next weekend($5 part, paid $40 for my time). 2 weeks later re-sheetrocked his basement for him cause he realized I was a young guy who would work ($1000 for the job, $225 in materials - he hated taping sheetrock!)

Manual labor might be your best bet bud. Dunno what there is for work out that way, but a strong back and a weak mind go a long way! (Yes I graduated with honors with my bachelors degree by working 2nd shift in a power plant on campus. FIND A WAY!! lol Strong back trumps a piece of paper any day!)

18. Nov 16, 2014 at 2:19 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Amen to that! Nothing wrong with a little manual labor, it's what I do for a living and love every minute of it! Keeps me in shape and pays pretty damn good and I don't need a degree to do it. I never knew they used manual labor for gravediggers, though they used backhoes for that because the holes are so perfectly rectangular shaped, at least the one's I've seen.

19. Nov 16, 2014 at 2:25 PM
    n.gardner

n.gardner Spacer Hater

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 4x4
    OME 3" 887s + Dakars 1" 4 Crawler BL Pro-Comp Uniballs Nitrochargers + Super Bumps Diff Drop + Drive Shaft Drop
    Dude on dude pays more ....

So... I've heard... yeah

20. Nov 16, 2014 at 2:36 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport

Hey, it's only skin, right?