Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

NYC Fly-By

Old 04-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
NYC Fly-By

Have any of you heard of this? Apparently the DOD thought it would be a good idea to get a photo-op of the presidential plane (Obama wasn't on board, so it wasn't Air Force One) near the statue of liberty.

BUT... they forgot to tell NYC or the citizens, which set of a panic throughout the city.

First of all, the stunt seems to me to be a complete waste of taxpayer money. Second, and more importantly, who in the HELL thought it would be a good idea to fly a jumo-jet so low over NYC w/o telling anybody?

Unbelievably stupid.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/st...7439287&page=1
Old 04-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
hmmm... just a photo op?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
WEll officially it's not Air Force 1 untill the president is on board.
Curious if they had the back plane fly by too?

What a Waste of money.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRock View Post
WEll officially it's not Air Force 1 untill the president is on board.
Curious if they had the back plane fly by too?

What a Waste of money.
Yeah, I know Obama wasn't on board (and said so in my OP). I think people just call it AF1 b/c that's the easiest way to identify those planes, and easier to say "the Boing 747 that the President flies in."

What do you mean "back plane"?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
this is the dumbest thing i've ever seen
Old 04-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
Yeah, I know Obama wasn't on board (and said so in my OP). I think people just call it AF1 b/c that's the easiest way to identify those planes, and easier to say "the Boing 747 that the President flies in."

What do you mean "back plane"?
Yeah, i knew you knew it isn't Af-1 but thought I would clarify for those who don't know. in my Horrible grammar.
I meant the back up plane.
There are two of those presidential planes. the other flies wherever AF 1 goes in case of emergency.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #8

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
Ahhh, Mr. Obama, never heard of Photoshop? That little program could have saved a few bucks.
He is a compleate waste of air and space.
I'm no fan of Obama's, but I don't think this was his idea. The White House isn't saying a whole lot, but I bet they come out and say this was the DOD's idea.

SURELY the POTUS didn't know about this and give his OK.

All of the credit that Obama gained by giving the "all force necessary" order to kill the pirates will be gone if he doesn't have the idiot responsible for this fired.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
Ahhh, Mr. Obama, never heard of Photoshop? That little program could have saved a few bucks.
He is a compleate waste of air and space.

even though it is inevitable that this is where this thread will lead....

consider the article:

On Monday afternoon, the Director of the White House Military Office, Louis Caldera, released a statement saying, "Last week, I approved a mission over New York. I take responsibility for that decision. While federal authorities took the proper steps to notify state and local authorities in New York and New Jersey, it's clear that the mission created confusion and disruption. I apologize and take responsibility for any distress that flight caused."

and the fact that Obama isn't the one that comes up with photo op ideas or plans

give credit where credit is due
Old 04-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
I'm no fan of Obama's, but I don't think this was his idea. The White House isn't saying a whole lot, but I bet they come out and say this was the DOD's idea.

SURELY the POTUS didn't know about this and give his OK.

All of the credit that Obama gained by giving the "all force necessary" order to kill the pirates will be gone if he doesn't have the idiot responsible for this fired.
Yeah, The article did make it sound like a bonehead DOD move.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #11

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRock View Post
Yeah, i knew you knew it isn't Af-1 but thought I would clarify for those who don't know. in my Horrible grammar.
I meant the back up plane.
There are two of those presidential planes. the other flies wherever AF 1 goes in case of emergency.
That's on Presidential trips and what not. I doubt they fly them together on training missions.

What if they're training in NY (like today) and there's an emergency that requires Obama to get on a plane and get the heck out of dodge?

I guarantee that one of the planes was at Andrews in the hanger, ready to go at a moment's notice.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #12

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dud122 View Post
even though it is inevitable that this is where this thread will lead....

consider the article:

On Monday afternoon, the Director of the White House Military Office, Louis Caldera, released a statement saying, "Last week, I approved a mission over New York. I take responsibility for that decision. While federal authorities took the proper steps to notify state and local authorities in New York and New Jersey, it's clear that the mission created confusion and disruption. I apologize and take responsibility for any distress that flight caused."

and the fact that Obama isn't the one that comes up with photo op ideas or plans

give credit where credit is due
Damn... I didn't even read the entire article, apparently. I've been saying Obama should fire "whoever" is responsible.

It looks like we already know... I don't normally call for heads to roll, but Louis Caldera should be fired.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #13
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
Im sorry but FFFFFFFFFFFFF SLOBAMA. Scareing the hell out of these people and wasting the fuel. I know it was DOD's call. But if McCain was in office all hell would have broken loose. SLOBAMA is getting away with anything he wants.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #14
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
I dont care if Louie is taking responsiablty im glad he is. If McCain was in office they would be calling for his head.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
I normally stay out of these threads, they get out of hand too fast, but THAT was the worst move he's made. I live in rural Connecticut, not too far from Quonset Point. They do low flyovers every now and then, and it gets my heart pumping pretty good even after 8 years. The scars of 9/11 are still very fresh for me. So, a little common sense would have gone a long way here.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #16
rabble rabble rabble

dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDITECH View Post
Im sorry but FFFFFFFFFFFFF SLOBAMA. Scareing the hell out of these people and wasting the fuel. I know it was DOD's call. But if McCain was in office all hell would have broken loose. SLOBAMA is getting away with anything he wants.

again... blame those who had the idea and ok'd it
Old 04-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dud122 View Post
again... blame those who had the idea and ok'd it
Im just stating if it was McCain in office and that happen the press would be all over him.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #18
rabble rabble rabble

dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDITECH View Post
Im just stating if it was McCain in office and that happen the press would be all over him.
that's one thing... what you said before is another...

"Im sorry but FFFFFFFFFFFFF SLOBAMA. Scareing the hell out of these people and wasting the fuel. I know it was DOD's call. But if McCain was in office all hell would have broken loose. SLOBAMA is getting away with anything he wants. "

sounds like you were putting the blame pretty much solely on Obama...

i am not a fan of McCain but I don't think I would be blaming him if he were in office anyway... if the press were all over him I would probably be pissed because they were going after the wrong idiot and thus not putting the spotlight on the person who is really responsible
Old 04-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #19
Ok point takeing
Old 04-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #20
kvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud of

Air Force: MSgt // Security Forces   Retired after 22 yrs of service
kvnhlstd's Tacoma Gallery
The presidential support squadron does this stuff all the time. All the pilots must keep up on their hours to stay certified and they always are taking pub pics. Killing two mission with one flight... P.S. They worked this through the NY Police dept, told them last week when, where and the approx time down to the minute. The NYPD forgot to tell the Mayors office. And for the people that will flame them for not going VFR to the Mayor... It is NY policy that all requests like this go through NYPD... Guliani set it up.