1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MA has some really F**&ed up courts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by kingston73, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Dec 5, 2014 at 7:45 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Just wanted to tell people a story about how F&*ked up the MA court system is, if you are considering moving to Mass. maybe don't. My neighbors have been horrible to us since we moved in 5 years ago, constantly trespassing on our property, calling the police about things like rocks and branches and trash we supposedly throw onto their property, etc. They even called the town inspector to complain about me putting up a fence before there was even a fence, the inspector report just says "no fence exists".

Anyhow, the MA specific part of this story is that we have something called a 258E harassment prevention order. It was meant to help people who are being stalked, sexually harassed in the workplace, and other serious issues. The way it's worded and the way it's used is a catch-all for anybody who dislikes anybody, all you need to do to get one is go to the courthouse, fill out an application and make up anything you'd like to tell the judge and you get a temporary 10 day order against whoever you want.

My neighbors filed against both myself and my wife, they each filed 1 so my wife and I actually have 2 orders listed against us, even though both were exactly the same. These people just made up lies, fabricated stories that never happened, and the judge believed them. We hired a lawyer and went to court to try to get this dismissed and prevent it from being extended, and the judge didn't even let us talk. It wasn't allowed to be extended, but the fact that the judge didn't even let us talk really disturbed me. I have no doubt if our lawyer hadn't been there we would have gotten a permanent order against us.

What's the lesson here? Don't live here. The wife neighbor was convicted and served 5 years probation for insurance fraud, witness intimidation, and purposely lighting a vehicle on fire. We have all the public court documents about this and our lawyer was prepared to introduce all those docs but again the judge didn't let us defend ourselves at all.

This is such a screwed up, unfair and WRONG system, I am completely disillusioned with the "justice" system.

Rant over, just had to vent.

Also, we are definitely selling the house and moving.

2. Dec 5, 2014 at 9:52 AM
    anotherreject

anotherreject Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thats not just MA, Md has it too, its called a peace order or protective order (protective order is used for people in a domestic relationship ,both are basically just restraining orders as you describe). Here anybody can see the court commissioner (it doesnt even need to be a judge at first) and write down any bullshit story they like and the commissioner will issue the "restraining" order. I have seen countless bullshit orders issued by people just using the court system to be vindictive or to retaliate about something. When the court hearing happens in front of a judge a few days later the judge can throw it out or extend it. Sometimes the judge believes the wild horse shit that people tell. I have seen people vacated from house, left on the street over obviously made up orders.

In your case for example there is nothing stopping your **** neighbor from calling 911 and telling the police you violated the order in some fashion, witch could lead to your arrest on the spot or a warrant being issued depending on the circumstances.

MD also has emergency petitions, a interested party, family member, doctor etc... can petition the court to have you thrown into the hospital for a mental evaluation. Ive seen a woman petition her husband then clean out bank accounts, asshole 18 year old kid petition her mother then steal the moms car and party after the mom was hauled away.

Heres another tidbit, in MD now anybody can file criminal charges without showing identification and have warrants issued for complete bullshit, since they dont show identification they can put any name they want on the application for charges and make up any bullshit story and nobody will know who did it.

Shit makes me sick

3. Dec 5, 2014 at 9:56 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Never heard of such a thing in Iowa. But I've never heard of neighbors being that douchey that they would do something like this.

4. Dec 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM
    guitarjamman

guitarjamman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 2500
    Makes me angry just reading this! Some people are really a drag on society as a whole and your neighbor sounds like the perfect example. I commend you for not being childish and starting a dick measuring contest (maybe you have and never mentioned it), but I would be doing everything in my legal power to make their life a living hell as well.

Moving is probably the easiest solution to this problem, and I would leave some huge ruts in their yard on my way out the door too.

And as an agreement, I read the local court reports and am disgusted at how the MA court system works. Check out this class act:
    http://www.capecodtoday.com/article/2014/12/03/28116-yarmouth-police-arrest-alleged-kitten-killer

He has 48 criminal charges, and is back at it again. There are countless examples of folks who are on probation for selling drugs, and a week later they are busted, and bail is set at $1000. Guess what they do the second they post bail?

Courts around here need to step their shit up. The hard working folks are getting screwed daily and there is no recourse anywhere. Getting their houses and cars broken into, and the thief getting a slap on the wrist from the panty waisted judges.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  5. Dec 12, 2014 at 6:38 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    ...MA seems like a state w/ a pretty countryside and lots of charm, ...but i'd give zero consideration to ever moving there... i presume NH would be a lot better, ...you're better off moving to a free state...

6. Dec 12, 2014 at 6:47 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Your neighbors are digging their own grave (and I think the courts can see that)

Webcams could be a life saver (or changer)

Laugh at them; that pisses them off so much more than getting mad at them.

I'd stay because they don't like that. F 'em.

7. Dec 12, 2014 at 7:03 PM
    Tractorman

Tractorman Just A Dumb Farmer

Member:
    First Name:
    Stupid
    Misery
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB / MGM
    AMEN!

Products Discussed in

To Top