1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinion on Second Vehicle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Purdue Pete, Dec 29, 2014.

?

What should I do!?

Poll closed Jan 28, 2015.
  1. Sell the king of SUVs

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Keep that beast

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. Buy the parked turd and dump time into it over the winter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Don't buy that crap...give me a number to call and take care of for you!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dec 29, 2014 at 12:52 PM
    Purdue Pete

Purdue Pete [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4X4, V6, 6 spd.
    Removed Charcoal filter, K&N filter, and that's it until I can save a bit
    Hey everyone. I want some opinions. Might even throw a poll in here. So recently I found out that my first vehicle, a 2000 Toyota 4Runner, is coming back into my possession free of charge and running. It is in rough shape but runs and drives fine. Probably needs a few things. It's on its 3rd transmission. My thought is to just sell it. The main reason is I have a Tacoma and that is my daily driver, and a buddy wants me to buy his 5 spd. Nissan Maxima that hasn't been driven at all in 2 years (sat in the same place and not started for the same time). So what do you guys think? Any experiences you care to add with starting a vehicle that has sat or anything that you'd do to it to get it going again. He wants $200 bucks for the Nissan and I would kind of hope to get $3,000 (KBB says $3,900 in the worst condition they list) out of the 4Runner.

Other information. I plan to drive my truck all winter so I would have plenty of time to work on the car. Also I have a 3.5 car garage and plenty of room. One bay with a door is never used. The 4Runner is terrible on gas, the Tacoma is better and 4wd and overall a much nicer ride. The 4Runner serves almost no benefit to me other than 4 doors which the Nissan has.

2. Dec 29, 2014 at 1:01 PM
    A_Ninja_Racer

A_Ninja_Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Debadged
    Agreed... The gas in that car is ruined Also how old is this maxima? I didn't think they were putting manuals in them for many many years like pre 98?

3. Dec 29, 2014 at 1:21 PM
    Purdue Pete

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4X4, V6, 6 spd.
    Thats fair. I know it'd be a pain in the ass. On more than one level. Change fluids, filters, belts, hoses, brakes, tires, plugs and who knows what else. The Maxima is a 2003 and was parked because of what my buddy estimates was a bad fuel pump. He works on vehicles for a living but I still don't like that part.

Parts for it are pretty cheap though so thats something. The pump is like $65 from rock auto.

4. Dec 29, 2014 at 3:08 PM
    Battle Pope

Battle Pope Christ-a-licious

Member:
    First Name:
    Korben
    Class 6
    Vehicle:
    Automatic 5 Lug
    squash air freshner
    Swap 2JZ into 4runner

enter Race Wars

Profit

5. Dec 29, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    I've had great luck with 99 and down Maximas, the 3.0L (VQ30DE) is quite possibly one of the best production motors to date. I have had two Maximas with the 3.0L and both have gone past 190,000 with nothing but oil changes. One of which we sold and the other I still drive whenever my truck is down for something. However the new 3.5L in the 2000 and up Maximas is regarded as a leaky piece of junk. We are in the process of getting rid of an 02 that tends to leak and burn oil and only has 97,000. I still have a 98 with the 3.0L and it runs like new and is fun to drive, one of the only FWD cars I know of with a LSD.

So if this one falls under the 3.5L territory and is currently not running, I would suggest you run too.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  6. Dec 30, 2014 at 8:45 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    i'd buy the nissan for $200.00 change the oil, fire it up and go from there.

7. Dec 30, 2014 at 8:52 AM
    anotherreject

anotherreject Well-Known Member

Member:
    Id buy the nissan but only to try to flip it

8. Dec 31, 2014 at 4:30 AM
    Purdue Pete

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4X4, V6, 6 spd.
    I honestly don't think it could be flipped. Good thoughts though. It will certainly need new tires, brakes and other rubber components and a new battery. Never mind all fluids flushed and changed. Even in the best condition it is worth like $3,100 and this one has quite a few little dents and dings. But it might not be a bad beater to pick up if not much is wrong with it. I did talk him down to $100 with him considering the thought of me just taking it. I rode in it while it was still in great condition. Was a really good vehicle. But if I can find a way to get it to my house it would be a good tinkering projects and I enjoy those.

I'll admit, if I were smart or looking to make a profit then I'd run. But for $100 plus towing it wouldn't be much just to see what it'd take to get running again.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  9. Dec 31, 2014 at 4:52 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Oh please, I routinely have motorcycles that miss a season of use, and they run fine once I put fresh gas in and charge the battery. The issue is the Maxima didn't run when parked...

Howard

10. Dec 31, 2014 at 9:48 AM
    Purdue Pete

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4X4, V6, 6 spd.
    Lol. Very fair Howard! If the car were my own then I would know that all it needed were fresh gas and a battery. But I don't know what the issue was before. Though it didn't sound serious. Just my buddy didn't have much money at the time and then shortly after got deployed and legitimately forgot about it because he had another vehicle and it was parked at his parents house. Sounds strange, I know.

Products Discussed in

To Top