1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Auto Stick" Volkswagon?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Forster46, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Dec 29, 2014 at 11:32 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 [OP] Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
  2. Dec 30, 2014 at 12:03 AM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    If it is something you are interested in then pursue it.

3. Dec 30, 2014 at 12:09 AM
    toyodajeff

toyodajeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    It's only 1k, I say buy it.

4. Dec 30, 2014 at 12:11 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    I had a '74 Super Beetle with the semi automatic transmission.
    When you touch the gear shift stick, the clutch would disengage by an electric solenoid.
    Would drive new drivers to the vehicle nuts if they had a habit of holding the stick.
    You could rev up the engine then just let go of the stick.

From a collector's point of view, it would be cool. From a performance aspect, not so much.

5. Dec 30, 2014 at 12:14 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    I'd say its worth it for how clean it appears alone, even if the engine needed work. I thin k you could recoup your monies whenever you wanted to if it is that clean as it appears in the photos. The area where the fenders meet the body was always a bad rust area. There is a gasket of type in there to keep the two pieces of metal apart, and if that is in good shape, then the rust would stay away.

6. Dec 30, 2014 at 1:01 AM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    I was mainly looking for one of these as a little thing to drive around when its sunny out. I like 15 mins from town and its 50 the whole way so I thought it would be cool to get one. I was hoping to find one that only needed miner restorations as I dont have a shop or much in tools/experience to do any kind of restoration. Engine work isn't too bad but after doing some research I have noticed a pattern of people saying that the auto stick is a pain to work on and hard to find parts. If the thing drives and isn't going to take a shit after 50 miles then I would happily go drop a grand on it tomorrow.

7. Dec 30, 2014 at 2:18 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    The only problems I ran into in the 3 years I owned mine, were
    a) on long trips the engine would get warm, and if you shut it down (eg get fuel) I could not get it started again. Starter solenoid would need some persuasion with a few hammer taps.
    b) Carb needed a rebuild, was easy to do.
    c) on freezing cold mornings, (think less than 10F) the windshield would frost up on the inside. Had to drive with the window open a bit to vent the humidity, and keep an ice scraper nearby, until the engine heat was warm enough. I did not have the auxiliary gas heater.
    d) i was a young dumb punk, usually drove the thing floored. Would strip a plastic gear in the speedometer. Replaced the plastic gear with a metal one from a 71

brakes, tuneups, basic maintenance was easy to work on. It was a good car for me to learn on.

8. Dec 30, 2014 at 3:04 AM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco

If I were to get something like this, the longest trips it would ever see would be an hour MAX. No need to drive a weedeater that far when I have a tacoma :rolleyes:

As far as freezing cold, the coldest it ever has gotten where I live is about 15f, but I wouldn't be driving something like this in that weather to begin with.

I am just a bit concerned since I have never heard of this type of transmission until now. I reading that the service is more of a pain and parts are rare, I was getting a little discouraged. But I emailed the guy and will do some more research on them in the morning. I was originally looking at getting a bus to fix up :D

9. Dec 31, 2014 at 9:16 AM
    Louisd75

Louisd75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Washington
    Vehicle:
    '02 Xtra Cab, '15 DCSB
  10. Dec 31, 2014 at 9:22 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Parts and service would be my concern. Rare transmissions could be a real pain in the ass. I had a ford econoline van that had a 4-speed Daganham transmission from England (4-on-the-tree vs 3-on-the-tree). It was slipping so I took it into a transmission repair shop. I told them it was an odd transmission and they said no problem. When they opened it up, it basically fell apart because it was so worn and they couldn't do anything with it (no parts for it). Had to buy a replacement transmission.

11. Dec 31, 2014 at 9:31 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    of course, there could be nothing wrong with the transmission, and it will work fine for years to come. If the OP keeps it stock, and in good shape, it'll at least retain its collectable value. If the tranny craps out, and there are no parts, then put a common 4spd in it. These are not complicated cars.

12. Dec 31, 2014 at 9:36 AM
    cyakker

cyakker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SD (at least we're not Mars)
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC, TRD-OR, V6
    ^^Yup. A '71 is a piece of cake to swap out the transaxle, *IF* it comes to that. Owned and/or worked on many Type I,II,III + Ghias from that era (68-75) -- don't recall ever working on a semi-auto though. Sooo... don't know much about them, but if it was broke it'd be simple enough to pop in a regular 'ol 4spd.

13. Dec 31, 2014 at 11:12 AM
    cheech1

cheech1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, HI
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Off Road
    My buddy in HS had one of those. Tranny never gave him any problems that I can recall. Only problem that I remember was the night he was driving down the road, and laughed at someone's tire go rolling by him. Couple seconds later,CRUNCH..it was HIS rear wheel.

14. Dec 31, 2014 at 11:17 AM
    willie64

willie64 Willie64

Member:
    First Name:
    willie64
    BEND OR
    Vehicle:
    (slowly becoming less than) Stock '03 3.4L 4x4 TRD SR5
    144 watt led lights on front 36 watts x2 led on the back, cb, Kenwood ham, icon 3" lift, 285/75/16 Fierce Attitude tires, JoeZilla sliders, 4x innovation rear bumper, ARB front bumper. Snorkel. On the workbench: more stuff I can't afford.
    A friend in HS had one and it seemed to run better than another friend's who had the standard trannie. Jus thad the typical VW issues with the engine needing constant adjustments. I, too, would worry about repairs to the auto vs standard trannie; the auto is not very common. Maybe only a junkyard repair or a specialty shop?

Products Discussed in

To Top