1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying new Hyundai for wife

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by tensecondchevelle, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Mar 19, 2015 at 12:02 PM
    tensecondchevelle

tensecondchevelle [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Double Cab
    Yeah I'm not really worried about re-sale value. We don't plan on buying another vehicle anytime soon.

Thanks! When we walked into the dealership we agreed that we weren't going to fall in love with any vehicles we see and we can't be scared to walk away without it. My wife is awesome and understands that she's went almost 10 years with her current car and she'll wait a few more days for a better deal.

2. Mar 19, 2015 at 12:07 PM
    tensecondchevelle

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Double Cab
    I've heard that the internet sales guys get paid by the total number of cars they sell per month, not on the difference between what they paid for the car vs what they sold it for.

Not sure if it's true. Just read it somewhere once.

3. Mar 19, 2015 at 12:25 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    We had a 2012 Elantra and they wanted $300 for the spare tire, jack/tools, the spare itself, the styrofoam piece for the spare/tools to sit on and the lockdown threaded stud with wingnut deal to keep it all in place. I scored everything except the spare itself for about $100 off ebay and the spare was about $80. This was for the factory stuff just like from dealer.

The other crap thing about these are the weak ass springs on the rear. With just 2 avg size people in front, felt like you had 5 people crammed in it and truck full of luggage. We felt the bump stops more often than a lightly loaded tacoma with shitty 3 leaf packs with just 2 people and normal freeway dips and stuff. Other than that it wasn't that bad really. We got paid money for the misadvertised mpg's. Never came close to 38 mpg much less the 41 they had on sticker.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Mar 31, 2015 at 9:25 AM
    tensecondchevelle

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Double Cab
    Sorry it took me so long to update this thread!

Here's what ended up happening with the Hyundai.

On Friday night (two Fridays ago) we went down to the dealership and did some price negotiating on the car. By the end of the night we got the price down to $14,500, which came to about $16,400 after taxes and fee's. Because the dealership didn't have the car on the lot, and had to do a dealer swap, we could only put $500 down on the car and would pay the rest of it in full when we came the next day to pickup the car. The salesman said there was only 2 left of that particular color/package left in the state.

Come Saturday our salesman called and said the 2 cars they thought were in the state were actually not there/or where already sold. After that the salesman tried to sell me the upgraded version for $17,300 out the door. I told him we weren't interested in the extra's that came with the car unless he sold it to us for $16,700. I explained I wouldn't pay a extra $800 for bluetooth and a backup camera where I could buy one online for $250 and install it myself. The salesman asked if we could meet in the middle at $17,000 and I told him no, I told him I'd come by later and get our $500 back.

Before going to the dealership to get the refund I spoke with a few other local Hyundai dealers and they confirmed that the particular package in the color we wanted wasn't available. One or two of them said it's because they are no longer getting in 2015's and will start receiving 2016's, so inventory was low in general. Satisfied, but disappointed, with the answer we headed towards the dealership to get the refund.

As we were on our way there my wife and I agreed we'd pay the extra money to get the upgraded version if we could get it for the right price, we agreed the top dollar we'd pay was $16,900. When we went to the dealership we talked to the salesguy and told him we'd pay $16,800 for the car, he went and talked to the finance guy and got it approved.

When all was said and done we got the car for around $15,000 before taxes and fee's, $16,800 out the door. The upgraded features included bluetooth, backup cam, fog lights, spare tire (I know some of you out there were worried about that one!), and a few other non essential things like cloth door trim...etc.... We were also able to get free window tint (getting installed this weekend) and 3 years of oil changes.

Overall we love the car and are happy with the price we got it for. Plus when I drive it to work every now and then I can get 44 mpg on the freeway, sure beats getting 21 in the Taco!

Oh! And car was claybar'd and wax'd the day after bringing it home. :)

5. Mar 31, 2015 at 10:25 AM
    virginiamarine

virginiamarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    FJCruiser/Double cab Tacoma
    holy crikey....you have dedication my friend (and your wife too). In the end, I think you did a great job being sensible and not rushing. What a deal too! I personally have bought the last 4 cars from the same sales guy (Toyota) because he gives me his bottom line without haggling. He also knows the product, which surprisingly most sales people don't (I ended up educating a couple guys when I bought my fj before my sales guy showed up). Anyway, hyundais are good vehicles from the frame up. They have the same reputation Toyota did when they first came on the scene....(heck...it's not like it's a Yugo or something!). Everyone I know that owns one...has had it for over 200k, which most people can't say. Overall, from the reports....you have a great relationship with what seems like a very cool woman with patience, make sure you keep it up!

6. Mar 31, 2015 at 10:41 AM
    Haslefre

Haslefre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    Some flags and center console divider... lots of things on the wanted list.
    My wife had a Sonota. Lost 1/3 of it's value in a year. I will stay away from the Hyundai forever now.

But, congrats on getting a good deal on a car. You did a pretty good job getting the deal.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  7. Mar 31, 2015 at 10:51 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    This is so fucking priceless! Would have loved to see the look on his face when you told him this oh so perfect shit! Kudos to you on that one. :D

8. Apr 2, 2015 at 8:52 AM
    tensecondchevelle

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Double Cab

Thanks! My first car was a 2000 Hyundai Accent. The car was SUPER SLOW but it was reliable. I think I was right around 200k before I sold it to a friend. Made numerous trips from Phoenix to Northern Utah and up to Portland once.

9. Apr 2, 2015 at 9:21 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    It's called an unwind, and is common in the business for the exact reason the OP listed. I doubt it was mechanical, as they probably would've refused to take it back.

10. Apr 2, 2015 at 10:16 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    never EVER even talk to a salesperson. you'll pay more just by doing so.

Products Discussed in

To Top