LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Need Engineering Help

Old 05-20-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Head of the MASTERS CIRCLE
mar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to behold

mar_ga_rita's Tacoma Gallery
Need Engineering Help

Well it has been a long time since I have taken a class going over this and am looking for a little help. I am trying to find the tension in each cable. My cousin was asking me about it and I just can't remember for anything. Each Circle is a Pulley.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
mar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to behold

I know someone on here must know something about engineering... if nothing else I am going to see if I can dust off some of my old books and flip thru them.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
I usually do better with multiple choice.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Old 05-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar_ga_rita View Post
I know someone on here must know something about engineering... if nothing else I am going to see if I can dust off some of my old books and flip thru them.
they're probably at work right now...might get some responses tonite
Old 05-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcBob View Post
they're probably at work right now...might get some responses tonite
haha yea I am trying to get some young buck though... figure they are still in classes
Old 05-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
lower management
trtripoli is on a distinguished road

trtripoli's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to trtripoli
maybe?

I know this is a statics problem, so all the forces are equal. The lengths of the ropes don't really matter since they are considered weightless.

Tension of Cable 3 (L3) is just the weight.
Ft3=60lbs.

Tension of Cable 2 (L2) is done by setting up a right triangle to get the tension force at that angle. So Cos(180-theta1)=Wt/Ft2==>Ft2=60/Cos(42.4deg)=81.25lbs tension for Length 2.
Ft2=81.25lbs

Tension in cable 3 is still 60 lbs down, and found by using the theta2 and using it to get another right triangle with cable 3 to get equilibrium (I think). cos(15.6)=60/Ft1==>Ft1=60/cos(15.6)=62.29lbs
Ft1=62.29lbs

(It's been 6 years since I've had this class, so better double check the answer)
Old 05-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
summation of the forces. Find all the forces in the x and y direction, equate and set each equal to zero.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #9
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
my bad, i thought they said t1, t2, t3. not lengths.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
lower management

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflaw123 View Post
summation of the forces. Find all the forces in the x and y direction, equate and set each equal to zero.

Thats right, hopefully I did it correctly above.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtripoli View Post
I know this is a statics problem, so all the forces are equal. The lengths of the ropes don't really matter since they are considered weightless.

Tension of Cable 3 (L3) is just the weight.
Ft3=60lbs.

Tension of Cable 2 (L2) is done by setting up a right triangle to get the tension force at that angle. So Cos(180-theta1)=Wt/Ft2==>Ft2=60/Cos(42.4deg)=81.25lbs tension for Length 2.
Ft2=81.25lbs

Tension in cable 3 is still 60 lbs down, and found by using the theta2 and using it to get another right triangle with cable 3 to get equilibrium (I think). cos(15.6)=60/Ft1==>Ft1=60/cos(15.6)=62.29lbs
Ft1=62.29lbs

(It's been 6 years since I've had this class, so better double check the answer)
That seems correct... It has been so long since I have even worked a statics problem lol
Old 05-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
If the pulleys are frictionless, the tension is the same trough the whole cable.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
I took statics last semester so I should know how to do this.

Unfortunately I slept thru half of my classes, so I don't know how to do this.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #14
lower management

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post

I didn't know how to do statics til I got threw dynmaics.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #15
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trtripoli View Post
I didn't know how to do statics til I got threw dynmaics.
yeah, all I know is EF=0 and EM=0.

How you get to that I have noooooooooooo idea haha.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #16
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post

haha I take statics next quarter. At my school its an 80% fail rate
Old 05-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #17
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
I still say its the same tension ( L1=L2=L3 ) those are fixed pulleys, frictionless with a cable with negligible mass.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #18
come on fhqwhgads

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
haha I take statics next quarter. At my school its an 80% fail rate
Have fun!

I took it twice. First time was with this teacher that gave really fucking complicated problems and couldn't teach for shit. I dropped the class immediately after taking the 2nd test (literally, once I got back to my room I dropped it haha.) I picked up a different teacher for my send hack at the class. At least 60% of the class was people that had the guy I had for my first whack at the class.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #19
EEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really nice

Firefighter:
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by epa4wd View Post
I still say its the same tension ( L1=L2=L3 ) those are fixed pulleys, frictionless with a cable with negligible mass.
x2
Those pulleys are changing direction of force and not multiplying it so T1=T2=T3.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #20
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by epa4wd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEtaco View Post
x2
Those pulleys are changing direction of force and not multiplying it so T1=T2=T3.
I'm with these guys. Those pulleys have no mechanical advantage so you might as well be lifting that weight straight up. The tension in all the cables is the same.