Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Old 06-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Hot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pat
Hot Tamale's Tacoma Gallery
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

I received this information in an e-mail and found it very interesting. This is what you call dedication!

1. How many steps does the guard take during his walk across the tomb of the Unknowns and why? 21 steps. It alludes to the twenty-one gun salute, which is the highest honor given any military or foreign dignitary.
2. How long does he hesitate after his about face to begin his return walk and why? 21 seconds for the same reason as answer #1.
3. Why are his gloves wet? His gloves are moistened to prevent his losing his grip on the rifle.
4. Does he carry his rifle on the same should all the time and if not, why? He carries the rifle on the shoulder away from the tomb. After his march across the path, he executes an about face and moves the rifle to the outside shoulder.
5. How often are the guards changed? Every 30 minutes, twenty-four hours a day, 365 days a year.
6. What physical traits are the guards limited to? He must be between 5'10" and 6'2" tall and his waist size cannot exceed 30". Other requirements of the Guard: They must commit 2 years of life to guard the tomb, live in a barracks under the tomb, and cannot drink any alcohol on or off duty for the rest of their lives. They cannot swear in public for the rest of their lives and cannot disgrace the uniform or the tomb in any way. After two years the guard is given a wreath pin that is worn on their lapel signifying they served as guard of the tomb. There are only 400 presently worn. The guard must obey these rules for the rest of their lives or give up the wreath pin. The shoes are specially made with very thick soles to keep the heat and cold from their feet. There are metal heel plates that extend to the top of the shoe in order to make the loud click as they come to a halt. There are no wrinkles, folds, or lint on the uniform. Guards dress for duty in front of a full-length mirror. The first six months of duty a guard cannot talk to anyone, nor watch TV. All off duty time is spent studying the 175 notable people laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetary. Every guard spends 5 hours a day getting his uniforms ready for guard duty.
7. In 2003 as Hurricane Isabelle was approaching Washington, DC our US Senate/House took 2 days off with the anticipation of the storm. On the ABC evening news it was reported that because of the dangers from the hurricane, the military members assigned the duty of guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier were given permission to suspend the assignment. They respectfully declined the offer, "No way, Sir." Soaked to the skin, marching in the pelting rain of a tropical storm, they said that guarding the Tomb was not just an assignment, it was the highest honor that can be afforded to a serviceperson. The tomb has been patrolled continuously, 24/7 since 1930.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
great post HT!!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
SMO
SaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
SaltySteve's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. I've never heard that before. Good post!
Old 06-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
TacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to behold
TacoMOnster07's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TacoMOnster07
Got the chance to visit there on a family vacation many years ago. It is an impressive demonstration of dedication, training and honor. Nice find I did not know this facts at the time I was there.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
hats off to the guards and all who have served.
The list above is not entirely accurate, though. Read the FAQ at http://tombguard.org/site.html
Old 06-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
i had no idea. thats just freakin awesome.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
I've been there and watched it with my brother who is also a Marine. It is an awesome thing to watch. For you skeptics out there i will tell you that they take this seriously and you can count on the swearing and alchohol obligations to be adhered to even when no one is wathcing-"Integrity"- It's a big deal and I would expect nothing less from my fellow Marines than to stand thier post through Hell or highwater.

Great Post Hottamale...Every American should visit all the monuments in DC and then the Arlington Cemetary last to cement our history in thier hearts and minds. It's awe inspiring and once you see it you will never forget and also want your children to see it when they are older and can understand it's importance.

On a side not you should also check out the new Marine Corps Museum outside of Quantico VA. I only had a full day to see it when i was being awarded at a banquet from General Gray(nothing combat related gentleman) and couldnt even get to everything. It is hands down one of the most impressive military museums i've been to. the tempature in the different areas reflects that of where they were fighting...Korea, Vietnam etc.. for those of you who may be interested anyways.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome
Old 06-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
saw it in 02 along with nearly all the Smithsonian museums and memorials, truly an awesome place...
Old 06-13-2009, 06:38 AM   #13
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Good post HT.

Although whoever wrote it up, has one fact wrong. The only reason I know this is because I was reading this before Memorial Day.

During the day in summer months, from March 15 to September 30, the guard is changed every half hour. During the winter months, from October 1 to March 14, the guard is changed every hour. After the cemetery closes to the public (7pm to 8am April through September, and 5pm to 8am October through March), the guard is changed every two hours until the cemetery reopens.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #14
Kenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: MSgt
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
Visited there once, totally awesome. It was also interesting to note that everyone around me was solemn and respectful.

Yet another reason the Marines are #1 on my respect list.

Kenobe
Old 06-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #15
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbonner View Post
I've been there and watched it with my brother who is also a Marine. It is an awesome thing to watch. For you skeptics out there i will tell you that they take this seriously and you can count on the swearing and alchohol obligations to be adhered to even when no one is wathcing-"Integrity"- It's a big deal and I would expect nothing less from my fellow Marines than to stand thier post through Hell or highwater.
Not to nitpick, but it's my understanding that it's the Army, not the Marines, that guard the Tomb of the Unknown (I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is correct).

Also, I personally know a guy who was on the guard (I saw the award he got for it, so I know he isn't lying), and he both swears and drinks alcohol on occasion. That said, it's nothing flagrant; just the normal amounts of both for a man of his age.

Also, he's about 6'4" tall, so I don't think that the statement that they must be between 6' and 6'2" is correct either.

That said, they do take it extremely seriously, and it is a huge honor for all of them and something to behold in public if you ever get the chance.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #16
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Not to nitpick, but it's my understanding that it's the Army, not the Marines, that guard the Tomb of the Unknown (I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is correct).
Youre nutz and should go home and haze yourself...The Army? first of all i would like to say ive worked with some outstanding army cats but there is about 10% of them out there so no disrespect. Secondly it is the MARINES who guard it. you should have paid attention to all the first hand eye witness accounts posted??? Thirdly thier uniforms look like crap, god bless them, so even as a civilian i would want the Marines out there. (Most Army cats hate thier uniforms and all the changing that goes on. just look at those blue camis ) Lastly...when America wants some shit done with no fuckin around they call us. cut and dry, plain and simple. we kick ass and them the Army comes to play police and babysit the area. Again they are not all bad. shitheads give them a bad name. we all, the services, got them but the Army just has more and not because of thier numbers. i'm talking ratio.

As for the height, in the service you'll find there are waivers for everything.

As for the guy you know, he is disgracing himself. You do that job and you know what you are undertaking in responsibilities. As i said we all have our shitheads. he may be a great guy but he is wrong in how he conducts himself. accidental slips are one thing, no ones perfect but it seems as though you say he conducts himself that way regularly.
Words mean something and when you take an oath like that you follow through. He knew what he was getting into, its not like you do your tour and say, no one told me that! If he failed to follow through on something that serious what does that say about his character? you tell me.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #18

Just looking at that women creeps me out. her face just screams LIBERAL! i consider myself an independant and both sides of the aisle has thier nut cases but you cant deny that the Dems have the most underhanded extreme nut cases out there. those guys would sell thier children to get ahead!
Old 06-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #19
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbonner View Post
Youre nutz and should go home and haze yourself...The Army? first of all i would like to say ive worked with some outstanding army cats but there is about 10% of them out there so no disrespect. Secondly it is the MARINES who guard it. you should have paid attention to all the first hand eye witness accounts posted??? Thirdly thier uniforms look like crap, god bless them, so even as a civilian i would want the Marines out there. (Most Army cats hate thier uniforms and all the changing that goes on. just look at those blue camis ) Lastly...when America wants some shit done with no fuckin around they call us. cut and dry, plain and simple. we kick ass and them the Army comes to play police and babysit the area. Again they are not all bad. shitheads give them a bad name. we all, the services, got them but the Army just has more and not because of thier numbers. i'm talking ratio.

As for the height, in the service you'll find there are waivers for everything.

As for the guy you know, he is disgracing himself. You do that job and you know what you are undertaking in responsibilities. As i said we all have our shitheads. he may be a great guy but he is wrong in how he conducts himself. accidental slips are one thing, no ones perfect but it seems as though you say he conducts himself that way regularly.
Words mean something and when you take an oath like that you follow through. He knew what he was getting into, its not like you do your tour and say, no one told me that! If he failed to follow through on something that serious what does that say about his character? you tell me.
you should probably go look at that link to the society of the honor guard

its the army

and
http://www.tombguard.org/FAQ.html#Is...f their lives?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
you should probably go look at that link to the society of the honor guard

its the army

and
http://www.tombguard.org/FAQ.html#Is...f their lives?
DOH!