1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Look who made the paper....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by squad314, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Jun 24, 2009 at 8:26 AM
    squad314

squad314 [OP] Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    Yesterday,we recieved a call for a City Works payloader on fire...single Engine response,routine call. Upon arrival,we found it to be fully involved,in front of a residence with the threat of one exposure.As the Senior Man,I grabbed a 45mm attack line and my Junior Man and I advanced it to the exposure(right) side of the machine and knocked down the heaviest of the fire.We then moved around to the left side and put out some fire at the base of the cab,and I noticed that the cab itself still had a fair amount of fire inside.At this point,I handed the nozzle to my JM and approached the ladder between the two tires......Just before I raised my leg to step on the first rung,the left rear tire,an inch to my right exploded......According to some of the City workers and Police,I was airborne for several feet,(the distance increasing as the story went on,:rolleyes:).My first recollection is being on my hands and knees about 20 feet away with my Officer asking if I was OK.He says I told him that I thought my leg was broken,and he immediately called for Rescue and EMS.As I slowly shook the cobwebs out I realized my facepiece was covered in liquid(hydraulic fluid) and I thought I was in trouble.My whole right side was numb and my first thought was that I had lost my leg.I did a quick inventory,leg-check,arm-check,head-check,and it appeared that everything was intact.As my hearing returned,I asked to be helped up and we went back to fighting the fire.EMS arrived and I was assessed and while this was going on,I experienced a massive adreneline dump and started shaking and got a little confused.I felt that transport wasn't needed and we stayed on scene for a few hours while they dealt with the machine.Workplace Health and Safety arrived and interviewed everyone involved and we discussed what happened.It's easy to look back on these things and say should'a,could'a,would'a but in this instance it was just an unseen hazard.We try very hard to be safe but sometimes shit happens.....

I'm feeling just fine today,and am back in for my first night tonight......We definitely were being watched over yesterday and for that I'm greatful.:)

Here's a link to the story in the local rag:

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/city/article/708274

2. Jun 24, 2009 at 8:32 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Glad to hear you are ok!!

3. Jun 24, 2009 at 8:33 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    Dang dude be careful out there! We need our firefighters on one piece!

4. Jun 24, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Awesome story and GREAT WORK!!!

5. Jun 24, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    the most important thing is that you are still here to tell the story, and for that, I am glad for you. That is some scary shit to read about, so I could well imagine it probably gave you a little scare. To you squad, my hat goes off.

6. Jun 24, 2009 at 8:36 AM
    tjgraner09

tjgraner09 South Carolina Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Conway, SC
    Vehicle:
    97 XtraCab
    Bilstiein 5100 w/ TRD Coils in the front, new fog lights, 2 12" isignia subs,
    glad to hear your ok. you have a cool ass story to always tell now. :D

7. Jun 24, 2009 at 8:38 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Thanks for your service. Glad you are ok. Keep up the good work.

8. Jun 24, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Glad your OK!!!!!

Good Work!

9. Jun 24, 2009 at 9:33 AM
    Hot Tamale

Hot Tamale Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab 4x2
    Geez, that must've been scary! Glad to hear you're okay. I think if I were you I'd still go to a doctor and get everything checked out just to make sure. I know you're probably always careful on the job, but you just never know when a freak thing like this could happen. Again, glad to hear you're okay! :proposetoast:

10. Jun 24, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    glad your ok. yea i can remember about two years ago we went out on a front loader fire at a local lumber yard. it was the loader they used to load trucks with mulch so it was sitting right in the middle of a giant mulch pile. when we arrived it was fully evolved. i was the engine operator and staged about 100ft. from the loader, as my guys advanced the lines and began suppressing the fire we heard a huge explosion. i was at the pump panel and didnt have a view of the fire at that moment, i ran around the side to see the huge 4ft tall tire, wheel and axle laying about 10ft. from the front of the engine. the fluid inside the differential had boiled and expanded enough to blow the axle, wheel and tire about 80ft. or so through the air. luckily no one was in front of it when it happened....

equiptment fires can be scary and really dangerous thats for sure...

11. Jun 24, 2009 at 3:40 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Marc so glad you were able to tell us that story!

12. Jun 25, 2009 at 4:22 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Glad you and everyone else is fine, thanks for what you do. My Dad was a volunteer firefighter in the small town we are from, he tells me stories about how he would take me along but I was only 4 and don't remember.

13. Jun 25, 2009 at 4:42 PM
    squad314

squad314 [OP] Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    Thanks for the kind words everyone I really appreciate it :).Now the ball-busting has started.....The guys on our Heavy Rescue,who were dispatched after the mishap,asked our District Chief to drop off a 4 pack of undershorts to our crew cause they thought we might need some new ones......Bastards :D.

All kidding aside,I have always tremendously admired and respected our service men and women,but to experience 1/1,000,000th of the unexpected that they(you) face or have faced on a day to day basis makes me appreciate them even more.....Stay safe everyone,in everything you do.

14. Jun 25, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Damn! Glad you made it!

15. Jun 25, 2009 at 5:19 PM
    AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wow Marc!! glad your ok!!!

16. Jun 25, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Glad your okay man!!! I hate tires next to fire!!! Approach it from 75 degrees!!!:D Good work!!!!;)

17. Jun 25, 2009 at 6:38 PM
    Fire931

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    or just chill from a distance with a duece and a half... :D ehh i've gotten to spoiled being an operator for so long.. dont like getting wore out anymore... :D

18. Jun 25, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Oh come on....1 1/2" is the way to roll....straight stream it on approach then stick that bastard in there and fog the hell out of it!!!:laser:

19. Jun 25, 2009 at 8:26 PM
    Fire931

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    yea yea yea.. thats the exciting way to do it... :D

i remember one car fire i went on right after we got our new brush unit.. it has a caf system on it.. we rolled it just for shits and giggles with an engine right behind us. ended up completly covering the entire car with foam until it wasnt visible anymore.. was kinda fun actually. :D

20. Jun 25, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    boys and their toys.

glad you didnt sustain any major injury Marc!

Products Discussed in

To Top