1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moving to Germany (Jan 2010)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by AFButters, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Jun 24, 2009 at 9:28 PM
    AFButters

AFButters [OP] Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    That is right I found out today I have orders to go to Ramstein Germany, Reporting to duty Jan 2010.

Which is awesome, finally getting out of Pope AFB, NC... Getting to see the world, and not just the parts covered with sand.

The only downside is that We are only allowed to take one vehicle... :(

So which do we take...?

08 FJ or 09 Tacoma

[​IMG]

I need help with the Pros/Cons of taking each one, and I need some help. I am not trying to favor one or the other, just want to really think of which one would be better to take and which would be better to put in storage (or Sell :( )

A little backround: 08 FJ ($317 a Month) 09 Taco ($334 a Month)

Dont know the amount still owed at this time, but I do know that we could sell either one for more than we owe as we put $$ down on both.

FJ Pros/Cons
    P.
    C.

Taco Pros/Cons
    P.
    C.

2. Jun 24, 2009 at 9:31 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    you would kick yourself if you sold it, if you have the cash put it in storage.

If push came to shove, id ditch thr FJ thou, looks like the tacoma would be more room if you have/had kids.

3. Jun 24, 2009 at 9:31 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    Take the Taco!!!!

You waited too long for it not to take it.

4. Jun 24, 2009 at 9:34 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Take the Taco.

5. Jun 24, 2009 at 9:35 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    Taco
    P: more room to carry large items, awesomeness factor, not yellow
    C: not a whole lot of interior storage room
    FJ
    P: more interior space
    C: its yellow

6. Jun 24, 2009 at 9:42 PM
    AFButters

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    Thanks burg, but i cant tell the wife a con of the FJ is its yellow.. She loves Yellow, and I love "Pink" if you know what i mean

7. Jun 24, 2009 at 9:43 PM
    jeremiekc

jeremiekc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Base Model
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    Why are they only allowing you to take one? I am getting stationed in Vilseck in November. The government will only pay to ship one of them. You have to pay to ship the other one. I am having the government ship my Mazdaspeed 6 and I am paying a company $1200 to ship my 07 Tacoma.. Just have the government ship the one that weighs the most.... The transportation office there on Bragg should be able to help you out...

8. Jun 24, 2009 at 9:52 PM
    drifter379

drifter379 CenTex Honky

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner
    Secondary Air filter mod,Removed running boards,AFE Pro dry filter,sirius satelite radio,relocated horns,sockmonkey decal,EZ change drain plug,color matched grille,grille craft mx, BHLM, Fog light mod, Hellas behind the grille
    Take the TAco. And when you get there travel as much as you can and see everything you thought you would never get a chance to see. Go to Oktoberfest in Munich. Take boat down the Rhine. And visit my favorite place in GErmany.
    Rottenburg
    [​IMG]

I love Germany! You can travel to many different countries and its just like crossing a state line they are so close. Be sure to go to Belgium, Austria, France and Spain also.
    The Taco seems it would be more comfortable for road trips. And before you come back sell it to a German and buy the newest model TAco.

Congradulations. MAke the most of it.

9. Jun 24, 2009 at 9:53 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    which one performs at high speed? autobahn? i think so

10. Jun 24, 2009 at 10:09 PM
    AFButters

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW

I will def have to look into it.. but i know that in 3 years I will again have to pay to bring the 2nd one home

11. Jun 24, 2009 at 10:35 PM
    drifter379

drifter379 CenTex Honky

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner
    Secondary Air filter mod,Removed running boards,AFE Pro dry filter,sirius satelite radio,relocated horns,sockmonkey decal,EZ change drain plug,color matched grille,grille craft mx, BHLM, Fog light mod, Hellas behind the grille
    Sell one and buy a cheap 2nd when you get there. With the turn over rate at the base Im sure some Joe is selling his bmw for cheap before he goes home.

12. Jun 24, 2009 at 11:00 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    If it was me, I would take probably end up taking both.

Figure the difference in cost if you leave the FJ or Taco behind, or take both. I would imagine once you get there if you only have one vehicle someone might end up in a taxi on occasion. If you do this enough it will add up pretty quickly. Taking both would not cost too much and would probably be quite a convenience for youself, and the wife. Also take into consideration the cost of registration/inspections/etc.

Good luck on the move, I'm sure you'll have a blast!

13. Jun 24, 2009 at 11:10 PM
    MiikeyD

MiikeyD The Green Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Upland, CA
    Vehicle:
    Green Prerunner DC 2.7L
    Suspension / Wheels / Tires 3.5" Fabtech lift w/ AAL 265/75/16 BFG A/T American Racing Baja Audio Alpine HU CDA-9886 Kicker DS650 Z-Edition 1000W Memphis M3 US Amps 4000W 2.5Farad Cap Lighting 6000K HID 2 Hella 500FF 2 Aux Bed Lights 2 Aux Driving Lights Performance Volant CAI Flomaster Super 44 Doug Thorley Long Tube headers (coming soon) NGK Iridium Sparkplugs Accessories Scanguage II Cobra LTD27-NW with 3' Firestik Radio Shack Triple Trunking Scanner Harbor Freight Hi-Lift Cosmetics Flat Black Bumper Trim Flat Black Grill Surrounding with Satoshi Clear Corners Future Modifications (not specific) Longtravel w/ king shocks or fox Caged bed Shackles rear suspension. Fox / king shocks custom front bumper Custom Glassworks extreme kit for 01-04 (only have hood and passenger side.. need driver panel) Supercharger + 8port intake manifold optima yellow top battery remounted new rims caged interior rear bench removal 4 sparc
    do they have fjs in europe? take your taco and ditch the fj. actually this is gnna be tough because fjs are cool, but then again its yellow... yeh sell the fj and buy your wife a yellow mini haha! :p

14. Jun 24, 2009 at 11:12 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    yellow porsche cayman, pure German bliss

15. Jun 25, 2009 at 5:42 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    man, tough call. I could see either one going. Both will be great over there. You have figure out which would be the most useful to you. The pick-up can come in handy for lots of reasons.

I'd probably take the Taco and hope you don't get cut off from the Taco.:D

16. Jun 25, 2009 at 6:14 AM
    El Diablo

El Diablo SMSgt / 2W091

Member:
    First Name:
    Beelzebub
    TacomaUnderWorld
    Vehicle:
    Your Wife
    X2
    Some of the streets are very narrow and parking space at a premium!

17. Jun 25, 2009 at 6:14 AM
    El Diablo

El Diablo SMSgt / 2W091

Member:
    First Name:
    Beelzebub
    TacomaUnderWorld
    Vehicle:
    Your Wife
    But the Tacoma is BadAss so take it!

18. Jun 25, 2009 at 4:11 PM
    jeremiekc

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    Hey just think, we will be the first two tacomaworld members to be in Europe.. I am going to take both of my vehicles just because I love them both and to pay $800-$1200 to drive my American car on the Autobahn for five years... No problem, it is money well spent...

19. Jun 25, 2009 at 4:13 PM
    jeremiekc

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    The COLA that you get will more then pay for the cost to take it there and to bring it home...

20. Jun 25, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.

That's what I was going to say.

Which gets better gas mileage? Gas is more expensive over there. Don't know if they are still doing the gas the way they used to... We left in '95 and things change all the time.

Ask your sponsor about the gas situation.

Either way, HAVE A BLAST over there.

You might have to go over before your wife and baby.... how fast can they get passports made :eek:)

Products Discussed in

To Top