1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Honduran President Overthrown

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by DanGer, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 29, 2009 at 7:12 PM
    DanGer

DanGer [OP] Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Just heard about this.

Politics aside, what do you guys think about this? I don't know much about this and personally my view is "Who Cares?" Apparently the US and rest of the world does, but why bother

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/29/clinton-unrest-honduras-evolved-coup/

2. Jun 29, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    magikbean562

magikbean562 once flirted with danger, danger got clingy

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders
    politics aside? when your askin about a presidential overthrowing, when our country is kinda split right now.....riiiiight[​IMG]

3. Jun 29, 2009 at 8:11 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    I could personally care less what the hell they do in Honduras as long as they don't bother us. :)

Very Conservative if you haven't already noticed. :D

4. Jun 29, 2009 at 9:08 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    um...there are counter drug operations being run out of Honduras. Lots of reasons we should care.

5. Jun 30, 2009 at 1:06 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    Here's a story I found...

6/29/2009 - WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- American forces stationed in Honduras were not involved in the military coup June 28 and remain safe, a Pentagon official said here June 29.

Some 50 miles northwest of the capital city of Tegucigalpa, where President Manuel Zelaya was apparently ousted, the situation is calm at Soto Cano Air Base, Honduras -- home to a 600-strong U.S. contingent, Pentagon Spokesman Bryan Whitman told reporters June 29.

"The U.S. military is not involved in any of the activities down there and the situation is calm where those forces are located," he said.

In a statement June 28, President Barack Obama expressed concern at reports of the Honduran military detaining and expelling Zelaya from the country. News reports said the military ouster came in response to Zelaya's attempts to extend his presidential tenure beyond the four-year term limit outlined in the Honduran constitution.

"I am deeply concerned by reports coming out of Honduras regarding the detention and expulsion of President Mel Zelaya," he said. "As the Organization of American States did on Friday, I call on all political and social actors in Honduras to respect democratic norms, the rule of law and the tenets of the Inter-American Democratic Charter.

"Any existing tensions and disputes must be resolved peacefully through dialogue free from any outside interference," President Obama added.

The U.S. forces at Soto Cano comprise Joint Task Force Bravo, which supports joint military exercises, enhances regional security initiatives and coordinates humanitarian relief efforts. Mr. Whitman said commanders there have taken "force protection measures."

"As the United States is monitoring the situation, (the U.S. forces are) essentially holding fast where they're at," he said.

6. Jun 30, 2009 at 1:23 PM
    JPinCowtown

JPinCowtown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09' SR5 4x4
    President Zelaya tried to defy their consitution and call a referendum to give himself almost unlimited powers. (he's learned to do this at the knee of his hero, Chavez in Venzuela) The Honduran Supreme Court said "Not so fast, Sr. Presidente! and ordered the army to exile his ass and replaced him until the next election can be held. (The Supreme Court can do that in their country) Most Hondurans are pretty proud of their little democracy, I'm glad they are trying to hold on to it.

7. Jun 30, 2009 at 1:39 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    Generally if a country- particularly one in South America- moves in a direction that could potentially lead to regional instability, that also means potential problems for us as well. That's why people care.

8. Jun 30, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    40204ever

40204ever Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caldwell, TX
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco racing development
    If Venzuela, Cuba and Obama are upset, It must be the right thing to do.

9. Jun 30, 2009 at 1:43 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    +1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top