Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Rescue and Tow Straps

Old 12-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Rescue and Tow Straps

Looking to buy some rescue/tow straps. Input from those with experience in this subject would be appreciated.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
www.ARB.com, they actually have a kit for such circumstances. I myself just go to the hardware store or outdoor store that sells chainsaws and such and get good quality logging chain, clevis pins, and hooks. I did not have much success with straps, kept cutting them on bumpers or errant protrusions of frame.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the same one I bought from Wal-Mart for years...it's rated for 20,000 pounds...no idea what the brand name is...but I'd just make sure you go with something that's rated WAY over what you ever think you'll need. That one's lasted me through a bunch of uses, and hasn't ever frayed or anything despite it getting drug across the ground and around trees.

I would suggest getting one with the hooks at the end (rather than just a loop of the strap itself). The hooks make it a lot more universal (as in, if there is a closed tow loop rather than an open ended tow hook that you have to hook to on a vehicle, you don't have to worry about looping it around and feeding the entire thing back on itself).

My only beef with chains is that I used one on a friend of mine's truck one time...and the bolt holding the hook on the end snapped and left a really nice string of dents in his hood. You might cut a strap, but it'll never do that.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
I LIKE STRAPS SO WHEN THE BREAK BOTH WILL BREAK THE DONT DO AS MUCH DAMAGE I HAVE SEEN CHAINS GO THROUGH TAILGATES AND THE GET RUSTY AND HEAVY
http://www.awdirect.com/finditem.cfm?itemid=23688
Old 12-02-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
DO NOT get ones with hooks....very very very bad. Nothing like having a projectile at the end of a tow rope.

I highly recommend getting a *stretch-n-snatch* type strap. They actually 'stretch' and recoils to assist with recovery. It makes recovery a lot more productive because you can get a 'running start' and let momentum (and the stretch-n-recoil) assist with yanking a vehicle out.

I've been using the same strap for years and it's done some heavy duty yanking duty on vehicles in some deep mud holes.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by argm31i View Post
I would suggest getting one with the hooks at the end (rather than just a loop of the strap itself). The hooks make it a lot more universal (as in, if there is a closed tow loop rather than an open ended tow hook that you have to hook to on a vehicle, you don't have to worry about looping it around and feeding the entire thing back on itself).
NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hooks!!!!

I can't stress this enough!!!!! Hooks are VERY VERY BAD!!! They become projectiles and can kill someone!!

Get a strap with a closed loop. Get a D-ring/clevis with a PIN.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
DO NOT get ones with hooks....very very very bad. Nothing like having a projectile at the end of a tow rope.

I highly recommend getting a *stretch-n-snatch* type strap. They actually 'stretch' and recoils to assist with recovery. It makes recovery a lot more productive because you can get a 'running start' and let momentum (and the stretch-n-recoil) assist with yanking a vehicle out.

I've been using the same strap for years and it's done some heavy duty yanking duty on vehicles in some deep mud holes.
There's a name for those kind of straps ? We used them in the army, correct me if i'm wrong-kenectic energy (spelling my be butchered by author) straps. I believed they were developed my the English Army.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
There's a name for those kind of straps ? We used them in the army, correct me if i'm wrong-kenectic energy (spelling my be butchered by author) straps. I believed they were developed my the English Army.
I don't know if there are other 'brands' - but a company named *Keeper* makes the 'stretch-n-snatch' (name) that I'm thinking of.
http://www.keepercorp.com/prod/vrs.htm

Yup - Kinetic energy straps
Old 12-02-2007, 05:40 PM   #9
Chester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant future

Chester's Tacoma Gallery
I used to use Keeper straps,be sure to clean them and keep them out of the sun for long periods it will degrade them.I had 5 tied together and when they snapped the knots blew up my buddy windsheild and put one hell of a dent in my tailgate.Have video of it .He drove 90 miles home with a busted windsheild!
Old 12-02-2007, 05:40 PM   #10

Quote:
I don't know if there are other 'brands' - but a company named *Keeper* makes the 'stretch-n-snatch' (name) that I'm thinking of.
http://www.keepercorp.com/prod/vrs.htm

Yup - Kinetic energy straps
You da man ! I looking right now.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:54 PM   #11
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
www.ARB.com, I myself just go to the hardware store or outdoor store that sells chainsaws and such and get good quality logging chain, clevis pins, and hooks. I did not have much success with straps, kept cutting them on bumpers or errant protrusions of frame.
Interesting. Since I drive a lot of miles, its not practical for me to drive with that much of chains due to their weight. I do have chains that I use for logging purposes along with my Case 1845. I want to carry something in my Taco to help people who've lost control of their vehicles and ended up in ditches during snow storms. I'd like to carry something light to help people in trouble.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #12
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
To see those stretchy straps in action check out the video of top gear's trec to the north pole in a Hilux. The norwegian guys use them to get the truck out when it falls partly though the ice. If you've got time check out the whole video it's pretty awesome. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...98193848181988
Old 12-03-2007, 06:58 AM   #13
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
I'm with Janster. I've had a stretch strap for a few months now. It doesn't stretch like a rubber band or bungee so I've been able to pull cars around driveway without it doubling in length, but it DOES stretch enough to absorb shock and help pull.

You don't have the shock of pulling a chain, cable, or rope taught so that helps save you're bumper, etc. You can take the slack out of them slowly so they act like a rope/chain, but then you can put some speed into the pull and feel the stretch. If that makes sense.

I used them one time to pull out 5-6 small stumps. Small ones were easy with 4-lo, 3rd gear IIRC. Last one was about 6-8" in diameter and the first time I tried the strap yanked the truck back about 6'! I backed up again, put it in 4Hi, 1st gear and got up to 5-10mph before the strap tightened. Felt the truck shudder, heard a POP, felt the truck lunge forward, and I hit the brakes. Looking back it had yanked a 100+lb stump with 2-3' root ball about 10' from the hole. And that was just from the truck moving a few feet passed the stretch limit of the strap. The bungee affect launched it most of that distance.

Edit:
Oh, and to get it dark and dry I have it rolled up and stuffed behind the rear passenger side seat. Fits real well in there, out of the way, and always have it. I got it from Tractor Supply Store for around $30, rated for 27,000lbs. I had a non-stretch strap rated for 20,000lbs and broke it. One hook tore through the stitching or just below it. I don't remember, but I don't use hooks anymore. Not to mention, the strongest chains I found at TSC were only rated for 5,000 or 6,000lbs.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:00 AM   #14
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
i got a stretch and snap rope from JCWhittney with my prize gift certificate. I've only gotten to use it once so far but it worked great. i really recomend it, i think it was $25. there is no harsh jerk when you pull someone out. Its not really stretchy but its enough to get a little momentum going and not jerk off a bumber.