Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

2nd thoughts about 2nd gen tacos ( rust issues)

Old 07-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
2nd thoughts about 2nd gen tacos ( rust issues)

I have the first gen Taco. So far, no problems in 14 years and 221,000 miles. Mine is in with the group of Tacos that had the frame rust issue. Yet mine is still mint, perhaps because I've only lived in places that don't get snow. But lately I've seen a number of people make comments about the newer Tacos with serious rust forming on the frames just sitting on the lots. That has me just a hair concerned. I've even seen one or two posts where the frames on 3 year old Tacos are already rotted through. That and the other scads of little problems with rear springs, tailgates, and radios. Never thought I'd even think about this, but I'm not 100% sure I'd go with a newer Taco given these issues.

But... I suspect there's a few out there that have put some serious miles on their 2nd gen tacos with no issues. Just putting a feeler out there.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson1977 View Post
I have the first gen Taco. So far, no problems in 14 years and 221,000 miles. Mine is in with the group of Tacos that had the frame rust issue. Yet mine is still mint, perhaps because I've only lived in places that don't get snow. But lately I've seen a number of people make comments about the newer Tacos with serious rust forming on the frames just sitting on the lots. That has me just a hair concerned. I've even seen one or two posts where the frames on 3 year old Tacos are already rotted through. That and the other scads of little problems with rear springs, tailgates, and radios. Never thought I'd even think about this, but I'm not 100% sure I'd go with a newer Taco given these issues.

But... I suspect there's a few out there that have put some serious miles on their 2nd gen tacos with no issues. Just putting a feeler out there.
Debbie Downer strikes again.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nah Pster,
I'm being serious. I think the rust issue is kind of a serious concern. I tend to keep vehicles for 15-20 years at a time. Perhaps for people who trade theirs every 5 years it isn't a big deal. But it is to me. There is no reason why a new truck should rust just sitting on the lot.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nah Pster,
I'm being serious. I think the rust issue is kind of a serious concern. I tend to keep vehicles for 15-20 years at a time. Perhaps for people who trade theirs every 5 years it isn't a big deal. But it is to me. There is no reason why a new truck should rust just sitting on the lot.
2006 SR5 4x4 with 25,000 miles...not a speck of rust, anywhere.....I would suggest to you the rust comes from dirt and mud and rock knicks "left unattended" over a period of time where it can trap moisture. Eventually rust will happen....try finding a truck with better rust resistance. I doubt you can.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
2006 SR5 4x4 with 25,000 miles...not a speck of rust, anywhere.....I would suggest to you the rust comes from dirt and mud and rock knicks "left unattended" over a period of time where it can trap moisture. Eventually rust will happen....try finding a truck with better rust resistance. I doubt you can.
Concur- At least two of the threads complaining about rust ont he lot were talking about 08 trucks. If they get test driven ONCE and then shuffled around the lot occasionally- they are RIPE for surface rust.

I've tracked mine thru mud and water- No more rust than I would expect to see. Keeping it clean and touching up bad gouged spots and the welds from my sliders has kept it pretty clean. I would totally invest in a quality frame sealant if you are talking about keeping the truck that long...
Old 07-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #7

I've had slight rust off and on, typically behind the front wheels. I'd say I've gone through and touched it up 3-4 times over the years. Nothing serious though. How much of the rust is attributed to folks who live in the snow belt?
Old 07-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've had slight rust off and on, typically behind the front wheels. I'd say I've gone through and touched it up 3-4 times over the years. Nothing serious though. How much of the rust is attributed to folks who live in the snow belt?
I know Demoncleaner who owns an 05 treated his frame last summer because it was showing signs of rust. To what extent, I think he posted about on here somewhere.

My 2006 w/ 32k has seen two full New England winters & I have rust. Our local dealers lot was full of buy backs and now they are doing the frame swaps. Up here you see a lot of rust & do what you can to prevent it (undercarriage power sprays, aftermarket rustproofing treatments etc.)

In CA or sun states probably not as big of an issue, but up in the winter climate regions, you are hard pressed to find any undercarriage that doesn't have some rust unless its put up for the winter. At least Toyota is stepping up and taking care of it, other mfgs just let em rot away.....
Old 09-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #9
xchevyman is on a distinguished road
xchevyman's Tacoma Gallery
2005 120,000 miles not a spot of rust looks as good as a 2011 I would say and I'm just below yosemite
Old 09-12-2011, 01:22 AM   #10
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on where you live, and what they put on the roads to combat snow/ice. Here in the NE my 98 1st gen had completely rotted out in spots.

I have spots of surface rust on my 09, but nothing horrible yet.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
Get a bite hippies
tuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud of

Name: Tucker
tuckdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
94,000 on an '07 here in Boerne/San Antonio, Texas i've been down to the coast quite a bit and have no rust what so ever on the frame the only rust i have is on the exhaust. the only problems ive had with my tacoma have been caused by me and not on toyotas part! i love it and will buy another when this one dies if that ever happens!