1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

pulled over on my bicycle...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by bobwilson1977, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Jul 23, 2009 at 7:44 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    So around a couple of weeks ago I was out riding my bike on my lunch break. Its a real shitty, old bike I found in the trash a few years ago. Anyhow, I ride through a quiet neighborhood. There's a few stop signs here and there and if there's nobody around I just keep on going. Well out of the blue a cop pulls me over for running one of these stop signs.

He was nice about it and all and assured me that the fine would not be that bad and it wouldn't show up on my record. I thanked him and he went about his way. Last night I got the fine in the mail. Guess what? The fine is for $350 FUCKING DOLLARS! On top of that, I have to go to court about it too. Now I know that California is broke for money right now. But seriously?! $350?! WTF! That's a shitload of money for running a light- let alone on a bicycle in a quiet neighborhood with zero traffic. Don't get me wrong- I'm not pissed at the cop. Its more than $350 dollars of my hard-earned money is going to a rich, gentrified town in Silicon Valley, and likely to schools that have parents with deep pockets to ensure their kids have it a lot better than those in the poor areas like Oakland. Fuck that.

I cannot fucking believe this. $350!

2. Jul 23, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I think that blows. Most places, bicycles have to abide by the motor vehicle laws though.

3. Jul 23, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Jeez that sucks. More than a speeding ticket! I'd be pissed.

4. Jul 23, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    That sucks man...Good luck with the court appearance.

5. Jul 23, 2009 at 7:49 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    Ya, I was blown away by the amount. I'm going to call today and make sure I actually read this right. I guess I just find it stupid because even though I know I broke the law, back home where I'm from the cops don't give a shit about that kind of stuff and the worst thing they would do would probably just give you a little warning.

6. Jul 23, 2009 at 8:11 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Might be time to call a lawyer.

That's nuts.

7. Jul 23, 2009 at 8:13 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    I don't want to deal with it anymore than I have to. A lawyer would cost a lot more than $350. So I'll just have to pay them their money. I'm just venting now because the amount seems really steep.

8. Jul 23, 2009 at 8:17 AM
    Y0TA

Y0TA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Central MT
    Vehicle:
    05 BLK TRD Sport 4X4
    WTF! $350. That's insane. I better start stopping at the signs now.

9. Jul 23, 2009 at 8:32 AM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    X2!

A friend of mine got pulled over here not long ago for the same thing. She got off with a warning though.

10. Jul 23, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    It's CaliforniKookulous. In the rest of the country, it's a traffic ticket to modify personal behavior. In CaliforniKookulous it's just another TAX.

11. Jul 23, 2009 at 8:42 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    Just looked on the court's web site. Apparently the original traffic fee might not be that much, but its the "court fees" that add up. If you have say- a $20 fine, you could easily have $160 in fees. I know all the court is going to do is have a judge ask how do I plead then say I owe "x" amount of dollars. Now why I have to show up to court just to be told what I already know is beyond me.

12. Jul 23, 2009 at 8:49 AM
    Liam1234

Liam1234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    09 DC, LB, TRD Sport, 4x4, Tow, Magnetic Grey
    Access Literider Tonneau Cover Auto Remote Start Nfab side steps
    Bob,

First, You should be mad at the cop. They have discretion and he was not using it.
    Second, I would move the heck out of that state.

Ok, You have a bike, you were not drunk, you were not stoned, you were riding your bike and there was no traffic. You went through the light and got pulled over for a 350 fine!!!!! HOLY $#%#$%@#%^.

I think I would go nuts on the cop, call him and tell him what its costing you and let him know what pain this has caused. He might be stupid to think its only a 20 fine.

FIGHT IT!! Hopefully a sane clerk magistrate laughs at it and thinks the cops are going overboard.
    WOW...

13. Jul 23, 2009 at 9:03 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    The cop was cool about it. But according to my ticket, he did have the choice as to whether or not to send me to court, which he did. I would have rather had gotten just the fine.

14. Jul 23, 2009 at 9:05 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    That's just ignorant and pure BS. It sounds like extortion. I could see his side if you were in a motor vehicle speeding and on your cell phone. But a bike? What a fucking abuse of powers!!!

15. Jul 23, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    Just called. Yes indeed, the fine really is for that amount. Again- absolutely insane amount of money for such a minor offense. God I can't fucking wait to move out of this state.

16. Jul 23, 2009 at 9:09 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Go to court and talk to the judge, I bet he will reduce the fine. Just leave the "f" bomb at home.

17. Jul 23, 2009 at 9:11 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    Yes. telling the judge to go F%$ himself would probably not win me any brownie points. I get a feeling that I have about a 0.001% chance of having to pay anything less than the fine. Guess I'll just have to suck it up and pay. Lesson learned: Don't run stop signs on bicycles.

18. Jul 23, 2009 at 9:11 AM
    storktaylor

storktaylor Well-Known Member

Member:
    California, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner TRD Off-Road
    Bak FLip G2 ScanGauge2 Black Labrador Retriever
    I feel your pain, I got a ticket for turning right on red where allegedly prohibited to up in Monterey. 10 hours of traffic school DVD's from hell, and $450 later I was finally finished. You need to be sure that it is only $350, my ticket was "only" $180, but the court fees (even though I never went to court), drivers school referal fees (a smooth $50 for them to hand me a crappy xerox of local schools), the traffic school fee ($40 to blockbuster to rent the darn thing) and bail (which was $130 that you don't get back, I mentioned that it really wasn't bail and the clerk was not amused and basically told me to pound sand), took the number to $450.

What do you expect from the Peoples Democratic Republic of California.

19. Jul 23, 2009 at 9:14 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I sure hope your wrong. My son has had some "fair" luck on having fines reduced. Start collecting aluminum cans and bottles. :notsure:

20. Jul 23, 2009 at 9:19 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    So it's OK for all these roadies to ride on public streets without insurance, inspection, registration, proper lighting etc,etc,etc & causing traffic delays out there where you in a vehicle will be ticketed for not having it but you'll get ticketed for that shit in that situation. Don't people get jaywalking tickets if not crossing with the signal in the crosswalk stripes? I know they do. So if vehicles have to treat bikes & pedestrians the same then why wouldn't bikes get tickets all the time when they are in traffic instead of on the sidewalk or a bike lane? Don't say because bikes on sidewalks are a danger to pedestrians when vehicles are a much bigger danger to bikes & pedestrians when they play in the street. It's a bicycle for god's sake & you were in a neighborhood not on a highway or busy thoroughfare & caused no incident. On one hand, complete nonsense & on the other, well technically it's the law. Uneccessary gestapo popo action tho..........

edit - Ask for defensive driving so it'll be dismissed, lol

Products Discussed in

To Top