Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Dog in Truck Bed

Old 08-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SamSter0077's Tacoma Gallery
Dog in Truck Bed

Do you let your dog ride in the Back? I have two hairy dogs (Aussies), and they are not going to ride in the CAB. I have had Susie my older dog chase my truck down the street waiting for me to stop and open the tailgate. She loves to ride in the back.. is this safe, probably not. Does anyone else have a four legged friend that rides freely in the back?

Old 08-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I used to let my Dogs ride in the back, but years ago, one of them bailed out while I was going 45 mph. The Dog was fine, but that put an end to that. From now on, they ride inside, and are secured from haveing too much movement.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSter0077 View Post
Do you let your dog ride in the Back? I have two hairy dogs (Aussies), and they are not going to ride in the CAB. I have had Susie my older dog chase my truck down the street waiting for me to stop and open the tailgate. She loves to ride in the back.. is this safe, probably not. Does anyone else have a four legged friend that rides freely in the back?
When I put mine in the bed, I make use of the D-rings in the back by tying their leash to it with just enough slack that they can look over the edge, but can't put their front paws up to jump out.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Texas Edition
TXRoper is just really niceTXRoper is just really niceTXRoper is just really niceTXRoper is just really niceTXRoper is just really nice

Name: Dean
TXRoper's Tacoma Gallery
When I had my dog, I would put one of the bed cleats centered on the rail below the back window and attach his leash to a harness on his back. I limited the slack to allow him to put his head over the bed rail but not hang too far over. It worked well.

Dog in Truck Bed-bbchest.jpg
Old 08-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
When I put mine in the bed, I make use of the D-rings in the back by tying their leash to it with just enough slack that they can look over the edge, but can't put their front paws up to jump out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddonrop View Post
When I had my dog, I would put one of the bed cleats centered on the rail below the back window and attach his leash to a harness on his back. I limited the slack to allow him to put his head over the bed rail but not hang too far over. It worked well.

Attachment 31863
I do something like this.

I put one of the tie-downs in the middle of the track that's on the back of the bed. I put another one on the same track, but close to one of the sides. I put her leash through the one on the side, then loop it through its own handle so it's secure. Then I take the end with the latch and put it through the tie-down in the middle of the track and clip it to her collar.

It gives her enough room that she can stick her head over, but she can't even go far enough to put her paws up on the wheel wells on either side.

I imagine that it's possible for her to get her body over the edge of the truck and hang there, but probably only if I hit a really big bump at a high speed. I don't think she could put herself in that situation.

She LOVES riding back there. Under 40mph or so she'll stick her head around the cab and face the wind. If we're on the interstate she just sits in the bed and looks straight backwards. There's no way I'd trust her to stay in the bed w/o the leash.

EDIT: I also have a bed mat. I think it'd be mean to have her back there w/o one. She'd be sliding all over the place.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
JPinCowtown is on a distinguished road
JPinCowtown's Tacoma Gallery
I recently was behind a guy who's dog was riding on his toolbox. He had to swerve to avoid a wreck and the dog got tossed into oncoming traffic where it was immediately squashed. Bad deal all around. I rigged a chain across the bed between the rails. Off the middle of the chain are two short leads to attach the dogs. They can stick out their heads and get the wind in their ears but they can't jump out.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinCowtown View Post
Off the middle of the chain are two short leads to attach the dongs.
I know I wouldn't jump out of you attached my dong to a chain!
Old 08-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
JPinCowtown is on a distinguished road
JPinCowtown's Tacoma Gallery
That was quick! you caught my error before I had time to edit!
Old 08-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #9

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
I'm fast like lightning

Old 08-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I mostly worry about the heat.. I tow my camper regularly, and go distances that take 1- sometimes 5 hours to get there. She rides the whole way in the back, and has for more than a year now. She has never jumped out while moving. The little one (new dog) is Black in color, and has jumped out while testing him in the neighborhood. I was thinking about a kennel, it has shade and they are safe... I have tied him down in the middle before so he could stick his head over the side, but not his body. It's pretty convenient to just have them hop in and go.. but it does get DANG hot in the middle of the day, and there is no shade.. and their Paws have to be "Cooking" on that black plastic.

Luckily, I have not had any Horror jump out stories to tell.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #11

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah... the other day I let mine up in the bed w/o checking the mat and she immediately started dancing around... only putting her paws down for a split second before switching feet. Poor thing. She rode in the cab w/ me.

Luckly I haven't taken a trip longer than about 20 min w/ my dog... if the bed isn't hot when she gets in, there's really no opportunity for it to heat up.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #12
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
Yeah... the other day I let mine up in the bed w/o checking the mat and she immediately started dancing around... only putting her paws down for a split second before switching feet. Poor thing. She rode in the cab w/ me.

Luckly I haven't taken a trip longer than about 20 min w/ my dog... if the bed isn't hot when she gets in, there's really no opportunity for it to heat up.
For the record, I usually leave in the early morning before it gets that Hot. She picks a spot and settles for the ride. When we get there, it is damn hot except for that spot. She is a very smart dog, thank goodness. I had a hard time sitting on the tailgate after swimming for a ride back to camp it was so hot. I will have to mount a pad or something for her.. OPEN TO IDEAS

Maybe the Kennel is the best idea all around..

thanks for your input -Sam

PS- Dong Chain.. LMAO
Old 08-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #13
Middle Age Member
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I agree. My Golden Retreiver rides in the back secured to a tie down centered on the front rail (gotta love these deck rail systems), but during the summer months he only rides in the truck in the morning. There's no way he could ride up front with me. It would take years to get all of the hair out of my truck.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #14

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a rubber mat? I bet a piece of cloth wouldn't heat up near as fast as the rubber... if you were to take an old beach towel and lay it down on the mat near the cab, then tuck the ends under the mat (so it won't fly off), I bet it won't get nearly as hot as the bed itself.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
Middle Age Member
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you have a rubber mat? I bet a piece of cloth wouldn't heat up near as fast as the rubber... if you were to take an old beach towel and lay it down on the mat near the cab, then tuck the ends under the mat (so it won't fly off), I bet it won't get nearly as hot as the bed itself.
That's a good idea, especially if the towell is white. It will reflect the heat instead of absorbing it like the black rubber bed mat does. That thing is very hot to the touch.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #16
Texas Edition
TXRoper is just really niceTXRoper is just really niceTXRoper is just really niceTXRoper is just really niceTXRoper is just really nice

Name: Dean
TXRoper's Tacoma Gallery
You may want to invest in a camper shell for shade and protection. Some marine grade light colored carpet for the bed if no shade. A kennel that gets air flow and is strapped in would probably be the safest.

I had to buy some ice from a snow cone stand to throw in the back of my truck one time because the bed heated up so quick. I have never taken a long road trip with a dog in the back, tried once, but he chewed through the metal kennel and got to ride in the cab the rest of the way....
Old 08-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #17
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
Couple of mover's blankets might work well--They're pretty tough.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #18
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
i personally think its a very bad idea to drive around with your dog in an open bed and wish that laws would be made to prohibit it.

to allow your dog to be exposed like that at ANY speed is extremely irresponsible... something as simple as a rear ender at a stop sign could be barely felt by you in the cab but could throw your pup flying... not to mention if you passed an animal on the side of the road or some other temptation that might cause your dog to try to jump out.... just not safe

if you have a shedding or dirty dog just throw some old sheets down on your seats and you may have to vacuum afterwards....big deal

vacuuming your truck for 20 min compared to the risks the dog is in in the bed isn't really comparable to me
Old 08-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #19
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dud122 View Post
i personally think its a very bad idea to drive around with your dog in an open bed and wish that laws would be made to prohibit it.

to allow your dog to be exposed like that at ANY speed is extremely irresponsible... something as simple as a rear ender at a stop sign could be barely felt by you in the cab but could throw your pup flying... not to mention if you passed an animal on the side of the road or some other temptation that might cause your dog to try to jump out.... just not safe

if you have a shedding or dirty dog just throw some old sheets down on your seats and you may have to vacuum afterwards....big deal

vacuuming your truck for 20 min compared to the risks the dog is in in the bed isn't really comparable to me
X2 . . . You could also take a couple bed sheets and line the entire back seat area if your an AC or DC. Taking the time to do this is insurance to the dog's life.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #20
XB81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXB81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXB81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXB81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXB81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXB81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXB81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXB81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXB81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXB81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXB81 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
XB81's Tacoma Gallery
When I take my dogs to the park, they ride in the bed. Well only two of them because the pup doesnt like it too much. She will only go if her big brother goes. Crazy pup!