1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

$8950 for a Honda Accord

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Beverly0817, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Dec 22, 2007 at 8:41 AM
    Beverly0817

Beverly0817 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have been thinking of buying a used car to use to get back and forth to work. I've put almost 19,000 miles on my truck in just eight months. Anyway, I went to a Toyota website (same one I got the Taco from) and found EXACTLY the car I was looking for. It's a 2000 Honda Accord EX with leather interior, sunroof, cd player.....79,000 miles. It's listed for $9,995, but the salesman (same one that made me buy the Taco) said he could let me have it for $8950. Do you guys/gals think the car is worth that?

Also it's going to add an additional $360 to my already high (more than $700) insurance every six months. I don't know if that's worth saving the miles on my Taco. Opinions, please!

2. Dec 22, 2007 at 9:06 AM
    LQQKatmy06

LQQKatmy06 Carolina Alliance

Member:
    T-VILLE, NC
    06 SR5 V6 DC LB TRD Sport 4x4 AUTO. 3" TOYTEC 885 coils w/AALs, ALL-PRO UCAs, 285/70/17 NITTOs, KMC HOSS in BLACK
    Check KBB to see whats its worth, I used to run a beater around but as you said the insurance sometimes dont out weigh the gas saved but it will save mileage on your Tacoma.

3. Dec 22, 2007 at 9:18 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i'd say it is....those ex accords are nice and will get as many miles as a taco. sounds like a descnet price too

4. Dec 22, 2007 at 9:44 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    go for it!! we got my wifes 02 accord ex with 48k miles from carmax with a trade in for her 02 mustang, and they listed the accord for 13k. so i say you are getting a good deal.......plus you get some hella gas mileage with the accord as well!

5. Dec 22, 2007 at 11:03 AM
    Dcrooks84

Dcrooks84 Sir Anal Loin of Beef

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 double cab SR5 Pkg #8 lng bd 4X4
    Removed secondary air filter, Fog light anytime, Map light mod, Scan Gauge II, Polished Stainless Steel Westin E-Series Bull Bar, Black GrilleCraft Grille, Borla CatBack Exhaust
    I would go for it, but I would be trying to talk him down some more from what he said bottom line was. They always leave a little more room to play when they tell you they will make a special deal for you.

6. Dec 22, 2007 at 1:23 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I think he would go a little lower. I say forget about saving the miles on your truck, unless you can save more than $360/month on gas.

7. Dec 22, 2007 at 2:11 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    What is the purpose of spending more money to reduce the mileage on your Taco where depreciation never sleeps? Even if your Taco was leased, you'll still have money in your hands to Eat Steak :hungry: after you pay the excess mileage penalty. With the Accord, depreciation and ownership costs hit you twice.

It's a lose-lose proposition. I'd be glad to do a cost analysis for you but you'll have to buy me a Steak :hungry:. Don't rush into it. You are smarter than the President :thumbsup:. Really!

8. Dec 22, 2007 at 4:37 PM
    LQQKatmy06

LQQKatmy06 Carolina Alliance

Member:
    T-VILLE, NC
    06 SR5 V6 DC LB TRD Sport 4x4 AUTO. 3" TOYTEC 885 coils w/AALs, ALL-PRO UCAs, 285/70/17 NITTOs, KMC HOSS in BLACK
    You sure put an end to that. I love people who can write.

9. Dec 22, 2007 at 10:31 PM
    Beverly0817

Beverly0817 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah, the salesman called me back today talking about $259 for 48mos.....which will equal about $12,500. I think I can get a better deal with my bank. My credit is just below 800. I AIN'T paying that much interest! Oh, and one other thing. The salesman told me he could help me get a discount on my insurance. Anybody wanna tell me how the heck he can do that?!?!?

10. Dec 22, 2007 at 11:52 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    Ill thank you for not insulting my President, you F'ing idiot

11. Dec 23, 2007 at 8:04 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Tacos are made to run, if I were you I would spend the extra money and extend your warranty and drive on. :burnrubber:

12. Dec 23, 2007 at 8:15 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Lighten up Francis (...from the movie Stripes), the Master was pretty spot on, President Bush and his cabinet are the laughing stock of the world, they're all looking at us and see what not to do. I served, and respect the position in which he holds, with that said, I gave him the right to say what he wants, as I did for all. On a funny note you must realise... he's from Canada, where the streams flow of maple syrup, the air smells like Canadian Bacon (yeah we all know it's just ham) and there sewers gush with used beer. :canada:

13. Dec 23, 2007 at 9:28 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    DITTO. and before anyone goes off about not being patriotic and all that BS....i was in basic training during 9-11...i've now gone back into the NC air national guard...and i love the NE Patriots!!!! dont tread on me!!!!

14. Dec 23, 2007 at 9:38 AM
    rpoint16

rpoint16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off-Road, Super White.
    Bone Stock
    We have a 95 Accord EX we bought new, sets in the garage for a spare now. 200K miles , 30mpg, awesome car!!! Bought my wife a 06 Accord last year. Phenominal road cars.

Personally, I would look around & buy a car from a private seller. Very little good comes from buying a used car from a dealer...

15. Dec 23, 2007 at 9:44 AM
    rpoint16

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock

Everyones circumstances are different.

Both vehicles hold their value well. If you need a spare car every now & then PLUS, want to save gas milage, plus keep miles down, plus etc... it makes sense.

Why would anyone lease a TACO???

16. Dec 23, 2007 at 9:50 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    I agree. You always pay a premium to buy from a dealer. Many do due to lack of financing on a private deal.

17. Dec 23, 2007 at 10:30 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    In Bev's case, her primary reason is to keep her Taco's mileage down for which she is willing to invest almost $8,000 on a second depreciating assets under gloomy economic conditions not considering interest and maintenance costs. Cash is king especially with the upcoming credit crunch in the US.

If one requires a spare car every now and then, a taxi is deemed more economical. A second car (fuel efficient) will not save you money if you consider the over all picture and factor in depreciation. I know this because I bought myself a Honda Civic shortly after the Taco. It costs me an additional $600 monthly to operate the Civic while the Taco sits waiting for the weekends. Yes, the Taco's mileage has dropped but the economics just don't compute. However, it serves a different purpose to us since we are trying to reduce our carbon foot print by operating a more fuel efficient vehicle even though we are flushing money down the drain :rolleyes:.

If I'm not mistaken, more than 30% of vehicles sold in North America are leased. There are advantages and disadvantages to this approach.

18. Dec 23, 2007 at 10:47 AM
    rpoint16

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock
    Sounds really high. I asked that question to three different dealers in the Phoenix area last summer while looking at Trucks. All were high volume (600+ units/month) dealerships. Their % of leasing is around 5%. That is the case at least in most big cities. That has been the trend for 12-15 years. There are many stipulations on leases that deture leasing. It seems that most people who lease are in the 55 year old + demographic.

19. Dec 23, 2007 at 10:59 AM
    rpoint16

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock
    That situation makes sence. Especially for $600/mo!

The older the car the less it appreciates. Our 1995 Accord might depreciate $250/year now. It looks great by the way. So it costs us $16.00 per month now setting. If I need it, I insure it for $55/mo full coverage. Right now I work 8 miles away so I use my Tacoma. When this project is over 3-4 months, I may work 60 miles away. 17 mpg vs 30mpg. I'm planning on keeping the Taco for 12-14 years.

Last winter I worked in Salt Lake for 5 months & took the old Honda up. It was great because when I flew home every couple of weeks, I had a truck here for my rentals & transportation.

I had a chance to sell the old Honda last year for $4100. I balked at the last minute.

Products Discussed in

To Top