Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

$8950 for a Honda Accord

Old 12-22-2007, 08:41 AM   #1
Beverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Beverly0817's Tacoma Gallery
$8950 for a Honda Accord

I have been thinking of buying a used car to use to get back and forth to work. I've put almost 19,000 miles on my truck in just eight months. Anyway, I went to a Toyota website (same one I got the Taco from) and found EXACTLY the car I was looking for. It's a 2000 Honda Accord EX with leather interior, sunroof, cd player.....79,000 miles. It's listed for $9,995, but the salesman (same one that made me buy the Taco) said he could let me have it for $8950. Do you guys/gals think the car is worth that?

Also it's going to add an additional $360 to my already high (more than $700) insurance every six months. I don't know if that's worth saving the miles on my Taco. Opinions, please!
Old 12-22-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance
LQQKatmy06 is on a distinguished road

LQQKatmy06's Tacoma Gallery
Check KBB to see whats its worth, I used to run a beater around but as you said the insurance sometimes dont out weigh the gas saved but it will save mileage on your Tacoma.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i'd say it is....those ex accords are nice and will get as many miles as a taco. sounds like a descnet price too
Old 12-22-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
go for it!! we got my wifes 02 accord ex with 48k miles from carmax with a trade in for her 02 mustang, and they listed the accord for 13k. so i say you are getting a good deal.......plus you get some hella gas mileage with the accord as well!
Old 12-22-2007, 11:03 AM   #5
Sir Anal Loin of Beef
Dcrooks84 has a spectacular aura aboutDcrooks84 has a spectacular aura about

Dcrooks84's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Dcrooks84
I would go for it, but I would be trying to talk him down some more from what he said bottom line was. They always leave a little more room to play when they tell you they will make a special deal for you.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I think he would go a little lower. I say forget about saving the miles on your truck, unless you can save more than $360/month on gas.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
What is the purpose of spending more money to reduce the mileage on your Taco where depreciation never sleeps? Even if your Taco was leased, you'll still have money in your hands to Eat Steak after you pay the excess mileage penalty. With the Accord, depreciation and ownership costs hit you twice.

It's a lose-lose proposition. I'd be glad to do a cost analysis for you but you'll have to buy me a Steak . Don't rush into it. You are smarter than the President . Really!
Old 12-22-2007, 04:37 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance
LQQKatmy06 is on a distinguished road

LQQKatmy06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
What is the purpose of spending more money to reduce the mileage on your Taco where depreciation never sleeps? Even if your Taco was leased, you'll still have money in your hands to Eat Steak after you pay the excess mileage penalty. With the Accord, depreciation and ownership costs hit you twice.

It's a lose-lose proposition. I'd be glad to do a cost analysis for you but you'll have to buy me a Steak . Don't rush into it. You are smarter than the President . Really!
You sure put an end to that. I love people who can write.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:31 PM   #9
Beverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Beverly0817's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah, the salesman called me back today talking about $259 for 48mos.....which will equal about $12,500. I think I can get a better deal with my bank. My credit is just below 800. I AIN'T paying that much interest! Oh, and one other thing. The salesman told me he could help me get a discount on my insurance. Anybody wanna tell me how the heck he can do that?!?!?
Old 12-22-2007, 11:52 PM   #10
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
] You are smarter than the President
Ill thank you for not insulting my President, you F'ing idiot
Old 12-23-2007, 08:04 AM   #11
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Tacos are made to run, if I were you I would spend the extra money and extend your warranty and drive on.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:15 AM   #12
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonKs View Post
Ill thank you for not insulting my President, you F'ing idiot
Lighten up Francis (...from the movie Stripes), the Master was pretty spot on, President Bush and his cabinet are the laughing stock of the world, they're all looking at us and see what not to do. I served, and respect the position in which he holds, with that said, I gave him the right to say what he wants, as I did for all. On a funny note you must realise... he's from Canada, where the streams flow of maple syrup, the air smells like Canadian Bacon (yeah we all know it's just ham) and there sewers gush with used beer.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:28 AM   #13
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
Lighten up Francis (...from the movie Stripes), the Master was pretty spot on, President Bush and his cabinet are the laughing stock of the world, they're all looking at us and see what not to do. I served, and respect the position in which he holds, with that said, I gave him the right to say what he wants, as I did for all. On a funny note you must realise... he's from Canada, where the streams flow of maple syrup, the air smells like Canadian Bacon (yeah we all know it's just ham) and there sewers gush with used beer.
DITTO. and before anyone goes off about not being patriotic and all that BS....i was in basic training during 9-11...i've now gone back into the NC air national guard...and i love the NE Patriots!!!! dont tread on me!!!!
Old 12-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #14
rpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to behold

rpoint16's Tacoma Gallery
We have a 95 Accord EX we bought new, sets in the garage for a spare now. 200K miles , 30mpg, awesome car!!! Bought my wife a 06 Accord last year. Phenominal road cars.

Personally, I would look around & buy a car from a private seller. Very little good comes from buying a used car from a dealer...
Old 12-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #15
rpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Everyones circumstances are different.

Both vehicles hold their value well. If you need a spare car every now & then PLUS, want to save gas milage, plus keep miles down, plus etc... it makes sense.

Why would anyone lease a TACO???
Old 12-23-2007, 09:50 AM   #16
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoint16 View Post
Personally, I would look around & buy a car from a private seller. Very little good comes from buying a used car from a dealer...
I agree. You always pay a premium to buy from a dealer. Many do due to lack of financing on a private deal.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:30 AM   #17
Born to Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoint16 View Post
Everyones circumstances are different.

Both vehicles hold their value well. If you need a spare car every now & then PLUS, want to save gas milage, plus keep miles down, plus etc... it makes sense.

Why would anyone lease a TACO???
In Bev's case, her primary reason is to keep her Taco's mileage down for which she is willing to invest almost $8,000 on a second depreciating assets under gloomy economic conditions not considering interest and maintenance costs. Cash is king especially with the upcoming credit crunch in the US.

If one requires a spare car every now and then, a taxi is deemed more economical. A second car (fuel efficient) will not save you money if you consider the over all picture and factor in depreciation. I know this because I bought myself a Honda Civic shortly after the Taco. It costs me an additional $600 monthly to operate the Civic while the Taco sits waiting for the weekends. Yes, the Taco's mileage has dropped but the economics just don't compute. However, it serves a different purpose to us since we are trying to reduce our carbon foot print by operating a more fuel efficient vehicle even though we are flushing money down the drain .

If I'm not mistaken, more than 30% of vehicles sold in North America are leased. There are advantages and disadvantages to this approach.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #18

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken, more than 30% of vehicles sold in North America are leased. .
Sounds really high. I asked that question to three different dealers in the Phoenix area last summer while looking at Trucks. All were high volume (600+ units/month) dealerships. Their % of leasing is around 5%. That is the case at least in most big cities. That has been the trend for 12-15 years. There are many stipulations on leases that deture leasing. It seems that most people who lease are in the 55 year old + demographic.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #19

Quote:

If one requires a spare car every now and then, a taxi is deemed more economical. A second car (fuel efficient) will not save you money if you consider the over all picture and factor in depreciation. I know this because I bought myself a Honda Civic shortly after the Taco. It costs me an additional $600 monthly to operate the Civic while the Taco sits waiting for the weekends. .
That situation makes sence. Especially for $600/mo!

The older the car the less it appreciates. Our 1995 Accord might depreciate $250/year now. It looks great by the way. So it costs us $16.00 per month now setting. If I need it, I insure it for $55/mo full coverage. Right now I work 8 miles away so I use my Tacoma. When this project is over 3-4 months, I may work 60 miles away. 17 mpg vs 30mpg. I'm planning on keeping the Taco for 12-14 years.

Last winter I worked in Salt Lake for 5 months & took the old Honda up. It was great because when I flew home every couple of weeks, I had a truck here for my rentals & transportation.

I had a chance to sell the old Honda last year for $4100. I balked at the last minute.