1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Our Fantasy Football Keeper system - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Veccster, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Aug 19, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Our league is about to institute a new keeper system. Each team has to keep 1 player but does not identify that player until the player is requested by another team. If you keep the announced player, you sacrifice that rounds pick.

Bottom line...You lose your NEXT pick when someone tries to draft a pick that you decide to keep.

It really helps the first pick who can keep his best player and only have to use a 2nd round pick for that. Other teams have to give up their first round pick. Far better than forcing each team to announce a keeper - then starting the draft as normal.

Thoughts? How do other leagues run keepers?

2. Aug 19, 2009 at 8:36 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    nay..if you want keepers, you should be up front. I would draft differently in the late rounds for a keeper league. Only 1-2 keepers. More than that and the teams are too stacked. Also, you cannot keep the same players two years in a row.

I say no keepers. I like keepers in fantasy mlb, but not nfl. Not enough games to warrant keeper leagues IMO. Just my thoughts.

3. Aug 19, 2009 at 8:51 PM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    We want keepers.

Last year, we were up front and picked the keepers before the start of the draft. But the worst team (1st overall pick) had to keep a shitty player and had the 1st and 24th picks. The best team (12th overall pick) got to keep a super star and still pick 12th and 13th. HOW IS THIS FAIR?

The best team won 2 years in a row and it was largely due to his keeper and 12th overall pick.

4. Aug 19, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Like I said, I am all for the re-draft. That being said, I am sure that the team that finished last had to have someone decent to keep. I mean everyone could not have sucked. But he still got the 1st (say AP) and 24th (#1 WR). I think that is pretty good. Now, you have an elite #1 RB and great #1 WR. Plus his best player off last years team. Maybe that person needs to learn how to play ffl? I mean no offense, but these people still have to draft the players. I mean, no one is a lock. So who's to say that #12 and #13 won't be a bust and a semi bust?

5. Aug 19, 2009 at 9:19 PM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I appreciate your input. Here is my point though,

Injuries are a bitch and the last place team is sitting with Ronnie Brown as his best keeper. Then he get's a decent RB as his first pick but nothing until his 24th pick.

The winner from last year will keep Adrian Peterson and still get 2 decent players in the 12th and 13th.

That is not fair.

In the way suggested, the 1st overall pick may be an LT and he still get's to keep Ronnie Brown. Plus Ronnie may not go until the 3rd round and he could land a decent WR too.

The last round team will keep Adrian Peterson and get the next pick (13th).

Seems more fair for both teams.

6. Aug 20, 2009 at 7:05 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Why not say the top 3 players at each skill position must go back into the draft? The top 3 would be determined fromthe previous years stats.

Keeper leagues SHOULD be for storing young talent. Not keeping powerhouse teams together IMO. I see your point it is valid. I always say no to keeper NFL leagues, but that is me. THat way, every year every team has a chance. Try your idea, never hurts and you will know if it balances out the league.

7. Aug 20, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro

I hear what you are saying and I was opposed to the keeper league in the first place. But I'm not the commish.

You're right that keeper leagues should be designed to research talent and compensate you for being a good scout. We had a repeat winner this year and it was because he got to keep a powerhouse and still have the 12th and 13th pick. There was no 'penalty' for keeping his powerhouse player.

I may try and suggest "no keepers in rounds 1, 2 and 3". That keeps the powerhouses available but still encourages you to mine for talent.

If it was up to me, we would abolish the keeper system and draft as usual. They just got bored with it and wanted to mix it up.

8. Aug 20, 2009 at 8:07 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    I hear ya. But I think pulling the "I am keep AP as my keeper this year" card when his name is announced for pick #1 is bush league. I would never play again in a league like that. No offense to you at all. Just my opnion, which really means jack. My reasoning, is that say you have 3mins on the clock, and then you draft AP. You then tell me he is going to be your keeper. So now I have to find another player. Not only would the draft last longer, some people could get pissed.

Maybe try the no top 3 (or top 2) players at each position for the keepers that way the top players go back into the draft.

Hope it all works out for your league. LEt us know how the draft went. Draft results would be cool too.

Products Discussed in

To Top