1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Eavesdropping, legal or not?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by fletch aka, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Aug 27, 2009 at 7:18 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka [OP] www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    My wife is a manager at a small aerospace company. She discovered today that the owners are electronically eavesdropping on conversations. It is done through the phone system, and is called silent monitoring.
    Does anyone know if this legal or have any experience with anything like this?
    :notsure:

2. Aug 27, 2009 at 7:19 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    well some could argue its an invasion of privacy, but if its their workpalce, then i guess they could do it.

3. Aug 27, 2009 at 7:21 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    I'm guessing since it's the owners, they have the right to do it. BUT, it's iffy wether it could be invasion of privacy or not... :eek:

4. Aug 27, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    x2 - if they're at work, then they should be talking about work stuff and the management are probably entitled to hear it. Doesn't make for a very motivated workforce though.

5. Aug 27, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    :popcorn: This outta be interesting... It should be illegal IMO. :mad:

6. Aug 27, 2009 at 7:23 PM
    fletch aka

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    That is kind of my thinking. Sue thinks it's an invasion of privacy. It's there building, there is no reason to think you have any privacy. My work does it but it's well known that they do it.

7. Aug 27, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Eavsdropping and business phone line monitoring are two different things. I'm sure you would find that there are rules regarding the use of the phone/computer/info systems at the office that all new employees have been shown.

It's a company asset...They have the right to see it being used in the ways they deem fit. Same as internet (they probably monitor that too) and may even have access to e-mails....

8. Aug 27, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    t-frax

t-frax Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRUNNER TRD Sports Pkg, Black
    Pop&Lock, Bakflip, spare tire lock, folding hitch step, alarm, n-fab steps, more to come hopefully
    I believe in california its a felony to do so if they are the owners. the thing i remember is that its okay to videotape as long as there are signs saying that you are being monitored but it cant be with sound. if it is with sound it is an invasion of privacy and they can be sued. at least that is what i have heard.

9. Aug 27, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    fletch aka

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    X1

10. Aug 27, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    The federal Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. Sec. 2510 et seq., prohibits the willful interception of telephone communication by means of any electronic, mechanical, or other device without an applicable exemption. There are two principal exceptions:
    Federal Exceptions

Consent: In the absence of more restrictive state law, it is permissible to intercept and record a telephone conversation if one or both of the parties to the call consents. Consent means authorization by only one participant in the call; single-party consent is provided for by specific statutory exemption under federal law. 18 U.S.C. Sec. 2511(2)(d).
    "Business telephone" exception

The "business telephone" exception, which generally allows monitoring of calls and taping over an extension phone which is both provided to a subscriber in the ordinary course of a telephone company's business and is being used by that subscriber in the ordinary course of its business. This provision generally permits businesses to monitor the conversations of their employees, including personal conversations.

but for the fact that California is an all-parties consent state (one of 12).

So now I'm not so sure....but my mind set is "If you've got nothing to hide....Who cares?"

11. Aug 27, 2009 at 7:36 PM
    PhatTaco

PhatTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    Backup camera, wheel locks, locking gas cap, tailgate anti-theft device (hose clamp).
    On a business phone there is typically the recorded greeting that says "this call can be monitored for training purposes" making it legal. At the company where I work the customer service lines are monitored by a computer that is programmed to "listen" for certain words. When one of those words is heard by the computer an e-mail is sent to the supervisor with a time stamp so they can listen to the recording to hear if there is any problem with the service. I don't know who chooses the words that are listened for.

12. Aug 27, 2009 at 7:51 PM
    t-frax

t-frax Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRUNNER TRD Sports Pkg, Black
    Pop&Lock, Bakflip, spare tire lock, folding hitch step, alarm, n-fab steps, more to come hopefully
    i can see monitoring phone calls but using the phones to hear employees while just talking in the office sounds fishy. its like planting a bug in the office. again though, if the employees are made aware the phones on monitoring them while not on the phones, then thats a different story.

13. Aug 27, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    fletch aka

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    Agreed, it's just one of those things that makes you feel violated.
    For me at my work, they use recorded phone calls to see if was you who screwed up or the customer. They record your computer screen and use it as a "teaching" tool to show you how you can be more efficient. E-mail is monitored for security reasons. I get a little nervous sometimes when I'm looking at TW at lunch or breaks and someones signature or avatar is over the top.

14. Aug 28, 2009 at 4:56 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I don't feel violated at all. If they managed to save a few bucks or uncover something someone else is doing that is illegal/dangerous to the business by monitoring the phones...Good for them. I wouldn't use the company phone/e-mail to talk dirty to my wife and I don't do anything that is illegal.

I'm a bit more accustomed to it because all the stuff I touch us monitored or controlled (Gov't networks/phones).

15. Aug 28, 2009 at 5:12 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Being it's an aerospace company it may have Federal contracts. I am sure the Patriot Act is a loop hole to get around any laws. The monitoring may be a government contract line item.

16. Aug 28, 2009 at 5:39 AM
    fletch aka

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    It's not the phone line recording that just came to light. That has been assumed all along, it's all conversations in the office that are being listened to, breaks and lunches included. You don't have to be on the phone to be listened to, they are using a feature built into the phones.
    We are with you 100% on the illegal/dangerous and/or anything else that may affect the business. The part that she felt violated on is she is the HR manager, you assume some amount of privacy with the employees.

17. Aug 28, 2009 at 9:29 PM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    ask richard nixon, he should know :cool:

18. Aug 28, 2009 at 9:43 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Well working for the Federal Government in the IT field I understand and have counseled members of the Coast Guard that in order to access telecommunications systems they are subject to monitoring at ALL times including telephone systems.

If the company has in place, consent to access forms that employees sign saying they understand then they have nothing.

You need to specify eavesdropping or monitoring. Eavesdropping implies listening devices picking up casual conversations around the workplace. Monitoring on the other had means that by accessing company owned systems the company selectively monitors telephone conversations or computer activity.

It amazes me the amount of Military people on TW that look for ways to bypass the censors in the workplace. If you only knew...

19. Aug 29, 2009 at 6:27 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you're at work and using company property (phone), then it's legal.

Legalities? I would think the company should make all its employees aware that their conversations could be monitored. And - what the company does with the 'information they're listening to' is another story.

Where I work, before you log into the computer....there's a huge disclaimer and you have to click OK before actually logging in. The computers & everything else must only be used for business purposes. We have internet access, e-mails, etc. They have the right to look & read everything you're doing and take notice to all websites that you visit. The company is pretty good about it.....as long as its not interfering with your job. Facebook, Myspace and even Ebay have been restricted from the work computers. Anytime a site gets too much traffic from work, they restrict access.
    You can get online and do normal browsing. It's the inappropriate stuff they don't like.

And yeah....people have gotten FIRED because they were visiting 'inappropriate' sites while at work. That's a major NO-NO. Big brother does watch....and they walk your ass out without any warning.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. Aug 29, 2009 at 6:45 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    its legal. thier company their building their phone

Products Discussed in

To Top