Notices

tom tom or Garmin

View Poll Results: Tom Tom or Garmin Gps navigation system
Tom Tom 20 18.18%
Garmin 90 81.82%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIM
Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
tom tom or Garmin

what do you guys like more tom tom's or the garmin's im gonna buy someone one for there birthday so just seein what you guys think. i have a tom tom but i think the garmin can do more.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:56 AM   #2
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIM
Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
I had a Garmin for my trip to Oregon and it worked awesome on the way up there. Re-routed quickly and easily, found nearby gas/food/lodging whenever I took a freeway exit too!

On the way back I had 731 miles to go for about 30 minutes......Perplexed I pressed the reset button fearing I would have to reprogram in my destination. The thing rebooted, and picked up where I was and set me up to get home with no other issues. Im just glad I didnt have to press another button after that.

It auto changed the display when it got dark to a black background and soft colors to not interfere with night time driving. I took it back to costco since I rlly had no other use for it and was fairly poor.

If I had to rely on one on a regular basis I would go with another garmin. I rlly like the unit, and think the freeze it had was a fluke. Hell since almost everything runs on windows so I would assume its only normal for things to glitch once in awhile.

Thanks for planning ahead seeing as how my birthday isnt till Feb. Is there anything else u were wondering about getting me?
haha thanks and nice try lol
Old 09-14-2009, 03:17 AM   #3
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
I have a Garmin wide screen and works great. I travel to my parents house north of Clearwater FL from Columbia SC every 6 weeks or so. I've always just stayed on the big roads I-26,I-95,I-10-I-75...etc, close to 500 miles. I plugged in the Garmin one trip and let it take over. It took me off the big roads, shot me through the bushes and brought me back in to a place I thought was way out of the way. Well, it shaved almost 80 miles off the trip and saved close to 50 minutes off the time.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
xsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: AL
xsvtoyz's Tacoma Gallery
TOM TOM tech support is still in the US and they have a great rep.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:19 AM   #5
WeaponR is on a distinguished road
WeaponR's Tacoma Gallery
Garmin mapping is the best in the industry. I had a garmin, bought a tomtom, got rid of that in a hurry and am back to Garmin.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #6
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
How bout neither? Just use the NAV that's in the cell phone & have it on you at all times & no one will steal it from the vehicle either. I know it's a preference thing but c'mon, how picky & spoiled can people be when any & all of them that get you where you wanna go get the job done. It's all same shit, different smell. Pick one & use it. I have all 3, in the end they are all just different. All 3 have their pros & cons & quirks & such.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:47 AM   #7
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
ive had both. i like the garmin better
Old 09-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
UrbanOffroader has a spectacular aura aboutUrbanOffroader has a spectacular aura aboutUrbanOffroader has a spectacular aura about
UrbanOffroader's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

ive had both. used my garmin for about a year. loved it. the interface is probably the best out there. very very easy to use and straight forward. garmin also comes with the best suction cup mount. very sturdy. i got a low end model and paid around 250 for it. aside from being able to put a few pics on it and a few new car icons, it does nothing else except take me where i need to go and it does it great.

the tom tom is also on the lower end. i also paid around 250 for this one. its a bit thicker than the garmin and weighs a little more. the suction cup mount is not quite as hardy as garmins butttttt.... the tomtom has waaayyy more features and room to customize than the garmin did. for the same price of the garmin, i got the tomtom with bluetooth to connect my cell handsfree. the garmin is still a little easier to use but the difference is marginal.

from 1 to 10 id put the garmin at a 9 in terms of ease of use and the tomtom at an 8. If you can use simple electronics then you will not have problems using either. i voted tomtom
Old 09-14-2009, 07:21 AM   #9
The clown has no penis...
smallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to all

Name: Brian
smallcandle's Tacoma Gallery
I've had a Garmin Streetpilot 2720 that I've used on long-distance motorcycle tours as well as while driving with the wife on vacations. During my four years of ownership it has never let me down and is very easy to use. Garmin customer service is fantastic (an added bonus is Garmin is in my home state) and their products appear as good or better than anything else out there.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #10
Kenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: MSgt
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the TomTom with Bluetooth. Tried using that to talk hands-free and found it was nearly useless with all the car noise in the background. The built-in Toyota system in my truck works MUCH better.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:03 AM   #11
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my garmin for 3 yrs and can't really complain. The only troubles I have are here in southern Louisiana, it seems we the people here can't give out the correct info to whomever request it. Took me to the wrong places more than once yet the address was correct for what was listed so not the Garmins fault.
The ease of use is what I like about it.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #12
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Garmins are nicer IMO... But i bought the tomtom so easy to use and simple! Never had a problem or complaint!
Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #13
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Garmin
Old 09-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #14
Canadian Member
Scooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Scooter's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a TOM TOM over a year ago and found so many errors, that I returned it. Every time I walk into a store that sells TOM TOM, I play with it to see if they have fixed the errors. To my disappointment, the errors are still there after more than a year. These are not small errors, one of them told me to make a left turn into a berrier wall. Another error gave me only 3 cross streets on a major route that had numerous cross streets. Two of the three did not exist, so it only got one right.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:03 AM   #15
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
I bought a TOM TOM over a year ago and found so many errors, that I returned it. Every time I walk into a store that sells TOM TOM, I play with it to see if they have fixed the errors. To my disappointment, the errors are still there after more than a year. These are not small errors, one of them told me to make a left turn into a berrier wall. Another error gave me only 3 cross streets on a major route that had numerous cross streets. Two of the three did not exist, so it only got one right.
I niticed this a time or two with mine.... their are free regular updates on the net with new maps and map corrections..... but i do know wat you mean it could be a hassel.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #16
Braaaaap!
Motoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to behold

Name: Caleb
Motoknuckle's Tacoma Gallery
I love my TomTom....used it to drive from Phoenix, AZ to Iowa and never got lost. Also shows every gas station, hotel, food, etc...along the way.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #17
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
i have both and the gamin is way better. i have a street pilot 330c dont recall which tom tom i have.tom tom sucks big time. hard to read while driving gets u lost very easy
Old 09-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #18
DellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dell
DellGSG5's Tacoma Gallery
Garmin have more datails.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #19
jnolan88 is a name known to alljnolan88 is a name known to alljnolan88 is a name known to alljnolan88 is a name known to alljnolan88 is a name known to alljnolan88 is a name known to all

jnolan88's Tacoma Gallery
kenwood nav head unit. kill two birds... new head unit and garmins gps built into it.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #20
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
I have had both I had the Garmin first and it updated like shit I got a tom tom for xmas and gave my Garmin away.. My Tom tom automatically up dates new roads and other peoples short cuts. More user friendly then the garmin and the tom tom is more compact then my garmin was.