1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tom tom or Garmin

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Timicha, Sep 14, 2009.

?

Tom Tom or Garmin Gps navigation system

Poll closed Oct 14, 2009.
  1. Tom Tom

20 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Garmin

90 vote(s)
    81.8%
  1. Sep 14, 2009 at 12:03 AM
    Timicha

Timicha [OP] Timicha

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    Tillamook / Portland , Oregon
    Vehicle:
    04 White Tacoma
    Fabtech 4 inch lift, tinted windows, diff drop, 33 inch MTZ tires on Raceline Raptor wheels, ELITE OFF-ROAD bumpers and sliders
    what do you guys like more tom tom's or the garmin's im gonna buy someone one for there birthday so just seein what you guys think. i have a tom tom but i think the garmin can do more.

2. Sep 14, 2009 at 12:56 AM
    Timicha

Timicha [OP] Timicha

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    Tillamook / Portland , Oregon
    Vehicle:
    04 White Tacoma
    Fabtech 4 inch lift, tinted windows, diff drop, 33 inch MTZ tires on Raceline Raptor wheels, ELITE OFF-ROAD bumpers and sliders
    haha thanks and nice try lol

3. Sep 14, 2009 at 3:17 AM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    I have a Garmin wide screen and works great. I travel to my parents house north of Clearwater FL from Columbia SC every 6 weeks or so. I've always just stayed on the big roads I-26,I-95,I-10-I-75...etc, close to 500 miles. I plugged in the Garmin one trip and let it take over. It took me off the big roads, shot me through the bushes and brought me back in to a place I thought was way out of the way. Well, it shaved almost 80 miles off the trip and saved close to 50 minutes off the time.

4. Sep 14, 2009 at 6:15 AM
    xsvtoyz

xsvtoyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    03 Pre-Runner Inprogress
    HID (ACA)/ Web cams/ Header/Full Custom exhaust/ K&N FIPK II/SuperCharger
    TOM TOM tech support is still in the US and they have a great rep.

5. Sep 14, 2009 at 6:19 AM
    WeaponR

WeaponR Member

Member:
    Garmin mapping is the best in the industry. I had a garmin, bought a tomtom, got rid of that in a hurry and am back to Garmin.

6. Sep 14, 2009 at 6:29 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    How bout neither? Just use the NAV that's in the cell phone & have it on you at all times & no one will steal it from the vehicle either. I know it's a preference thing but c'mon, how picky & spoiled can people be when any & all of them that get you where you wanna go get the job done. It's all same shit, different smell. Pick one & use it. I have all 3, in the end they are all just different. All 3 have their pros & cons & quirks & such.

7. Sep 14, 2009 at 6:47 AM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    ive had both. i like the garmin better

8. Sep 14, 2009 at 6:59 AM
    UrbanOffroader

UrbanOffroader Member

Member:
    NJ / Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    in the process...
    ive had both. used my garmin for about a year. loved it. the interface is probably the best out there. very very easy to use and straight forward. garmin also comes with the best suction cup mount. very sturdy. i got a low end model and paid around 250 for it. aside from being able to put a few pics on it and a few new car icons, it does nothing else except take me where i need to go and it does it great.

the tom tom is also on the lower end. i also paid around 250 for this one. its a bit thicker than the garmin and weighs a little more. the suction cup mount is not quite as hardy as garmins butttttt.... the tomtom has waaayyy more features and room to customize than the garmin did. for the same price of the garmin, i got the tomtom with bluetooth to connect my cell handsfree. the garmin is still a little easier to use but the difference is marginal.

from 1 to 10 id put the garmin at a 9 in terms of ease of use and the tomtom at an 8. If you can use simple electronics then you will not have problems using either. i voted tomtom

9. Sep 14, 2009 at 7:21 AM
    smallcandle

smallcandle The clown has no penis...

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    South-central Kansas
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD SR5 4X4
    Deck plate mod, Maglite console mount, Husky Liners front and back, Black powder coated OEM rims, BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's 265/75/16, Grillcraft MX black insert, Hella 500FF mounted behind grill
    I've had a Garmin Streetpilot 2720 that I've used on long-distance motorcycle tours as well as while driving with the wife on vacations. During my four years of ownership it has never let me down and is very easy to use. Garmin customer service is fantastic (an added bonus is Garmin is in my home state) and their products appear as good or better than anything else out there.

10. Sep 14, 2009 at 7:38 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I bought the TomTom with Bluetooth. Tried using that to talk hands-free and found it was nearly useless with all the car noise in the background. The built-in Toyota system in my truck works MUCH better.

11. Sep 14, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I've had my garmin for 3 yrs and can't really complain. The only troubles I have are here in southern Louisiana, it seems we the people here can't give out the correct info to whomever request it. Took me to the wrong places more than once yet the address was correct for what was listed so not the Garmins fault.
    The ease of use is what I like about it.

12. Sep 14, 2009 at 8:51 AM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    Garmins are nicer IMO... But i bought the tomtom so easy to use and simple! Never had a problem or complaint!

13. Sep 14, 2009 at 8:51 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
  14. Sep 14, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    I bought a TOM TOM over a year ago and found so many errors, that I returned it. Every time I walk into a store that sells TOM TOM, I play with it to see if they have fixed the errors. To my disappointment, the errors are still there after more than a year. These are not small errors, one of them told me to make a left turn into a berrier wall. Another error gave me only 3 cross streets on a major route that had numerous cross streets. Two of the three did not exist, so it only got one right.

15. Sep 14, 2009 at 9:03 AM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    I niticed this a time or two with mine.... their are free regular updates on the net with new maps and map corrections..... but i do know wat you mean it could be a hassel.

16. Sep 14, 2009 at 9:15 AM
    Motoknuckle

Motoknuckle Braaaaap!

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner xtracab V6
    Tint, Clear Corners,
    I love my TomTom....used it to drive from Phoenix, AZ to Iowa and never got lost. Also shows every gas station, hotel, food, etc...along the way.

17. Sep 14, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i have both and the gamin is way better. i have a street pilot 330c dont recall which tom tom i have.tom tom sucks big time. hard to read while driving gets u lost very easy

18. Sep 14, 2009 at 11:15 AM
    DellGSG5

DellGSG5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dell
    San Diego, California
    Vehicle:
    2009 PreRunner TRD
    Step rail, Grill guard, bug deflector,bed lights, Window Deflectors.
    Garmin have more datails.

19. Sep 14, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    jnolan88

jnolan88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kenwood nav head unit. kill two birds... new head unit and garmins gps built into it.

20. Sep 14, 2009 at 11:49 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    I have had both I had the Garmin first and it updated like shit I got a tom tom for xmas and gave my Garmin away.. My Tom tom automatically up dates new roads and other peoples short cuts. More user friendly then the garmin and the tom tom is more compact then my garmin was.

Products Discussed in

To Top