LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

VW Golf?

Old 09-25-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
VW Golf?

Hey guys, i saw a top gear episode a few days ago that featured a VW golf vs. the new bmw 130. the golf kicked the shit out of the beamer and i sort of got a hard on for it. but i cant remember what model it was and i haven't been able to find it at the VW America site. anyone know what it is? the american version may have a different name than the one they tested over seas. it was a 3.2 ltr v6 with all wheel drive if that helps. i will prolly buy a car in a year or two once i get the truck paid off and want to go ahead and start researching ones i like (i'm still heavily considering a 90 or 91 325i though)
Old 09-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
jfr02 will become famous soon enough

Army:
jfr02's Tacoma Gallery
check into the golf R32 from what i remember it was supercharged awd but i don't remember what engine it was.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
jfr02 will become famous soon enough

Army:
jfr02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr02 View Post
check into the golf R32 from what i remember it was supercharged awd but i don't remember what engine it was.
yes i just pulled that episode up.yes it is a r32 and it's a 3.2l v6 and i was wrong it's not supercharged.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, Jfr is correct it was the R32. Apparently there is no 2009 R32, 2008 as of now was the last year to see the R232 in the U.S.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I'm watching that Top Gear from my DVR right now since I was working Monday night. I love that show!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
the old r32 i think were boosting. but the 130 wagon was pimp IMO. id rather go beemer than vdub.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
jholland52 is on a distinguished road
jholland52's Tacoma Gallery
personally i love vw's i had an 01 gti before i bought my tacoma and i miss it everyday.. they are a ton of fun to drive!
Old 09-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

older 04 r32

Base Number of Cylinders:
6 Base Engine Size: 3.2 liters Base Engine Type: V6 Horsepower: 240 hp Max Horsepower: 6250 rpm Torque: 236 ft-lbs. Max Torque: 2800 rpm Drive Type: AWD Turning Circle: 35.8 ft.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr02 View Post
yes i just pulled that episode up.yes it is a r32 and it's a 3.2l v6 and i was wrong it's not supercharged.
awesome, i'd rather not deal with charger maintenance. i dont know how much of a pain the new ones are but i know older ones took some regular upkeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Chiken View Post
Yes, Jfr is correct it was the R32. Apparently there is no 2009 R32, 2008 as of now was the last year to see the R232 in the U.S.
bummer, wonder why they discontinued it
Old 09-25-2009, 11:17 PM   #10

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikbean562 View Post
the old r32 i think were boosting. but the 130 wagon was pimp IMO. id rather go beemer than vdub.
i use to love bmw's but in the last decade they have gone to total shit. i'm trying to decide if i should pay alot for a nice stock car, or pay cash for an older bmw (e30) with a blown engine and replace it with an e36 2.8 liter and soup it up. i have a soft spot for the e30 chassis since that was my first ever car
Old 09-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
i use to love bmw's but in the last decade they have gone to total shit. i'm trying to decide if i should pay alot for a nice stock car, or pay cash for an older bmw (e30) with a blown engine and replace it with an e36 2.8 liter and soup it up. i have a soft spot for the e30 chassis since that was my first ever car

same here. i just like the squareness of the older cars. one day

Old 09-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #12
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Heres some info on the replacement for the R32 if anyone is interested. http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...erica-car_news
Old 09-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #14
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Ehh.....
It's a VW Golf. That's a CHICK car.....

Reminds me of skinny blonde teeny boppers cruising around in a car that mom bought for them.

Thats what I tell my guy friends that drive them. I'll admit that can look pretty clean with a reasonable drop, some decent wheels and few small things done, but it is what it is.

The 4th generation golf has quite a few issues too. The interior becomes terrible over time, water will leak into the cab if the roof drains are not cleaned on a regular basis, the timing chain that has no recommended service interval WILL need replacing eventually (chain guides and tensioner break), thermostat distribution tubes commonly break requiring the front clip to be removed in order to replace, and the list goes on and on. Definitely not the most reliable of cars.

Heres a mkIV that I just replaced $3,600 in parts for a friend of mine. 140k and the list was.. Pressure plate, flywheel, friction disk, throwout bearing (failed and caused the initial problem), clutch fork, slave cylinder, throwout bearing guide tube, DS and PS axles, upper and lower timing chains with guides and tensioner, rear main seal, thermostat housing with distribution tube and thermostat, coolant temperature sending unit, Aux coolant pump, Lower coolant distribution tube (rusted), Pendulum mount bushings, and the list goes on.

If it was me, I would rather not have something that requires spending this much money on parts only with thousands of dollars in labor to go along with at this many miles. Heres of picture of the ride.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Golf?-dsc00348.jpg  
Old 09-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
I wanted an E30 for awhile. Eventually decided a 20 year old car wouldnt really work out for me that well.

If you do go the E30 route and do a swap, why swap a M52 (2.8) and not a S50/S52 (Euro/US E36 M3 engine)

And for a reliability standpoint, I wouldn't buy anything german that was designed after the mid 90s. Before that, bullet proof reliability. After that, spotty.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #16

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ehh.....

Reminds me of skinny blonde teeny boppers cruising around in a car that mom bought for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
I wanted an E30 for awhile. Eventually decided a 20 year old car wouldnt really work out for me that well.

If you do go the E30 route and do a swap, why swap a M52 (2.8) and not a S50/S52 (Euro/US E36 M3 engine)

And for a reliability standpoint, I wouldn't buy anything german that was designed after the mid 90s. Before that, bullet proof reliability. After that, spotty.
price and maintenance.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #17
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
S50/S52 wouldn't cost more in the long run than keeping a Golf on the road though.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:04 AM   #18

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikbean562 View Post
same here. i just like the squareness of the older cars. one day

i have always thought that is one of hte best looking most agressive looking cars ever made. when you see one coming up on you in your rear view mirror they look so angry. i love em!

Quote:
Ehh.....

yeah, but i've always loved golfs. my dad use to have a late 80's model. for some reason i just have a soft spot for them
Old 09-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #19
come on fhqwhgads

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
80s golfs are very different animals compared to new golfs.

I'd love to get my hands on a MkI or MkII GTi!
Old 09-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #20

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
80s golfs are very different animals compared to new golfs.

I'd love to get my hands on a MkI or MkII GTi!
oh i know, they are completely different. but i just like the hatchback body style. i dont know what it is but i have always liked them