1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I got a new toy yesterday!!!! I can't wait to move to Austin now!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by James08, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:01 AM
    James08

James08 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD PRO
    So it has been about 18 months since I had a motorcycle, and I just couldn't take it any more. I'm moving to Austin at the end of the year, so I started looking for bikes here in KC so I could take advantage of the winter sell off that happens every year.

This is my last bike that I sold in April of 2008
    [​IMG]
    I sold the Buell after I finished my MBA to make sure I had the money to afford my student loan payments and any other BS that came up. I really struggled with that decision, but when the kid rode off on the bike it was over. The kid ended up crashing it and getting it stolen within 48 hours of ridding off on it.... He didn't have full coverage insurance.....

Here is my new ride! It's a 2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000. It has about 7,800 miles on it, and I picked it up for $5,500. I love the winter sell off!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That bike is going to look pretty badass in the truck bed during the move to Austin....
    [​IMG]

2. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:06 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    Man thats a good looking bike :thumbsup:

Austin, cool town. Lots of cute girls there.

3. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:08 AM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    In my opinion should have gotten another Buell but the GSX-R is a cool bike.

4. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:09 AM
    tanktodd

tanktodd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    back on the right side of the bay, Ala
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner w/TRD Sport Pkg
    Limo tint in back w/ 20% on doors. Removed all badges. Stereo headunit, all new door speakers, 2 amps, and 10' sub...so far Black bullbar MotoMetals and 285/70/17 Duratracs. 3" OME springs in front and aal in back with tsb springs Black UWS tool box 5100's all around Plasti-dipped evo front end Fog light anytime mod OEM steps (for sale) HID fogs 55w 3000k HID heads 35 w 6000k "Cool white" dome & map lights
    Sweet rides..both of them

5. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:39 AM
    James08

James08 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD PRO
    Here is my take on my old Buell:

I owned that bike from August of 2004 (new) until April of 2008. In the 3.5 years I owned the bike I put 13,000 miles on it, and I had no problems with the bike. I really wasn't riding the bike at all by the time I sold it because I was working on my MBA for about the last 1.5 years I owned it. I liked the bike a lot because it had character, but at the same time it was difficult to find a good shop in case something did happen, and it was a real bitch to sell it as well. There was also a lot of little stuff that I didn't like when I got the bike from factory, so I spent a substantial amount of money customizing the bike to make it look, sound and ride the way I wanted it to.

My ownership experience for the Buell overall was around a B/B-. It was a fun bike, but it was underpowered because of the Harley based engine. There really wasn't much you could do to fix that without decreasing the reliability of the bike either because Buell has pretty much done everything they could with that boat anchor.

I did test ride an 1125R about a month ago, and it was a cool bike. However, I would only be interested in buying a 2009 because the 08 models had some problems because it was the first model year, and I hated the blue frame and wheels as well. There really isn't a used market for the 09 models yet, and anything that is out there isn't selling for $5,500. On the other hand I could have probably bought a new 09 for a good price, but then I would be stuck upside down on the purchase immediatley because of the terrible resale value Buells have. In addition to that I am pretty dissappointed with the 1125r because of all the carryover items from the Firebolt. It has the same tail section, air box, basic frame, and wheels. I would be more impressed with the bike if the "all new" Buell was all new!

Products Discussed in

To Top