1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Going to get a new TV LCD or LED?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by slimsdepot, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Oct 28, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    slimsdepot

slimsdepot [OP] slimsdepot.com

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Hey guys,

The fiance wants to get me a new tv as an early xmas gift! :D WOOT.

My questions are which TV should I get? I am thinking sticking with a 46" since that is what we have now. We have an LCD but I don't like that its only 60Hz and the image can get kind of vibration like on fast moving things. We aren't ballers so can't afford something TOO expensive so please point us in the right direction. Maybe something that comes with a package like an entertainment system??

2. Oct 28, 2009 at 8:51 AM
    GAS

GAS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    beautiful washington state
    Go Plasma.

3. Oct 28, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    An LED is a type of LCD display. Standard LCDs use fluorescent lights for back lighting and LED LCDs use LEDs for the back lighting.

The contrast and black levels on the LED LCD TVs are better since it can turn off certain fields of back lights. They also have better viewing angles.

4. Oct 28, 2009 at 9:04 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    Plasma is a very good option right now because they are more or less phasing them out...LED has become so cheap to manufacture that plasma in the next year or two will be a thing of the past like projection tv's. If you have a room with a lot of natural light go LCD...plasma needs a little darker room or you get glares. I stole a 50" plasma from a local retailer for $699. LG brand, 1080, 120hz...it is money. It is also in my basement so light is not an issue. But for sports, plasma is kick arse! Very fluid. Wasnt worried about plasma going away, because for 699...I figure I can get 3 or 4 years out of the tv at least.

5. Oct 28, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Yea it will be in the living room so will have a lot of light. I tried to do some searches on slickdeals.net for deals but not too much going on right now. Might stop by costco today and see what they have going on.

Does it make that big of a difference between 120Hz and 240Hz?

6. Oct 28, 2009 at 9:14 AM
    Seagrave

Seagrave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC LB 4x4 Sport
    the higher the "Hz" the quicker the picture/screen is going to refresh. The bigger the number the better!!!

7. Oct 28, 2009 at 9:16 AM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
  8. Oct 28, 2009 at 9:17 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    The new Samsung 7000 or 8000 LED TV's are the shit.

9. Oct 28, 2009 at 9:23 AM
    rutherk1

rutherk1 ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver TRD 4door
    Plasmas are really cheap right now.

The problem with Plasma is they are heavy, have glass in them and get really hot.

I have a 52 inch plasma in the basement and a 48 inch LCD upstairs (both samsung) I cant really tell much difference in picture quality. The plasma works a little better in the dark but they both look damn good.

10. Oct 28, 2009 at 9:37 AM
    nasty ned

nasty ned Well-Known Member

Member:
    mass
    Vehicle:
    05v6trd access
    nerf bars ventvisor kit nose & windows
    plasma t.v's use almost 3 times the juice as the others.also bigger size is not always better for viewing (a too big a screen in a small room will not allow you to see a lot of the details you just paid for .IMO go pick the brains at a high end store and buy at a place like b.j's or costco or even wal-mart .forget what the picture looks like in the store they are on some blu-ray loop thingy:rolleyes:

11. Oct 28, 2009 at 9:42 AM
    stroM-

stroM- @alteregoadventure

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Santa Rosa, California
    Vehicle:
    2006 4X4 TRD OR
    Thats a pretty good deal. Instead of getting a blueray player combo IMHO get a PS3. There only 299 now (which is just as much as most blu ray players) and youll have a 2 in 1 system (games and movies). Also the PS3 is rated one of the top 5 best blu ray players out there. You can't go wrong with that :thumbsup:

12. Oct 28, 2009 at 9:45 AM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    Go with that samsung LED TV. You will not regret it. I just installed one of these for my mom over the weekend. then watched Kung Fu Panda on it. OMG it was BEAUTIFUL. She has the 40" 6000 series came with the free blu-ray player also. The colors and black levels on the LEDs are amazing. I would avoid plasmas. They use tons of electricity. They are very heavy because they have to use glass instead of plastic and they burn in because they use phosphorus dots like old picture tube tvs.

13. Oct 28, 2009 at 9:46 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    If I had the money i'd get a new Samsung LED LCD for sure. They're so sleek and thin that its ridiculous. I just went in on a 40" Toshiba 1080 LCD with my roommates and its pretty nice for the money- only 600@ costco. Only downside is that it is only a 60hz, but so far havent really noticed any lack of fluidity in the picture, even when playing games on my PS3.

14. Oct 28, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    Whatever you get, get 1080p and 120hz. If your thinking bluray then 1080p is a must.

15. Oct 28, 2009 at 9:53 AM
    65tacodude

65tacodude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Manteno, IL
    Vehicle:
    '18 Tundra Platnium
    OEM running boards and roof rack. Yellow fog bulbs and WeatherTech mats and window visors.
    Plasmas are horrid. After a few years you have to get it "recharged" and is a pain in the ass. Best bet is to go with a LCD. I havent heard too much on the difference between the LED LCD's and the standard.

16. Oct 28, 2009 at 9:56 AM
    GAS

GAS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    beautiful washington state

I have a plasma and have had it for over two years and still looks like it did out of the box. Everyone who comes over asks what type it is because it looks so real. I have never heard of "recharging it".

17. Oct 28, 2009 at 10:34 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    they are phasing out for a reason, they are heavier, use more power, put off more heat and have a short life span.

If price is an issue, to with LCD. its a tried and true proven technology. LED is cool but not worth the extra cash in my opinion. most people could never tell the difference. just make sure whatever you get has a high contrast ratio and is at least 120 htz but personally i would go for the 240. i'm an audio visual tech and trust me, you dont want to use plasma. i recomend samsung, they by far make the best displays on the market

18. Oct 28, 2009 at 10:41 AM
    thedude5108

thedude5108 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Los Olivos, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Dub cab
    16x8 Series 185 Eagle Alloys, Billy 5100's at 1.75, and a bitchin Mag Lite mount :)
  19. Oct 28, 2009 at 11:11 AM
    65tacodude

65tacodude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Manteno, IL
    Vehicle:
    '18 Tundra Platnium
    OEM running boards and roof rack. Yellow fog bulbs and WeatherTech mats and window visors.
    I know when i use to sell the plasmas, we had to offer a recharge plan for them. As nd said they do have a very short life span. I basically told people your better off dragging it home than using it.

20. Oct 28, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    I have the 46" sharp and its a good TV. But, If i bought today I would spend the extra dough and get the Samsung LED.

Products Discussed in

To Top