1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Loading Washing Machines....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Janster, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Nov 2, 2009 at 12:04 PM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    My husband and I have owned a Maytag Neptune (front loader) for about 15 years, since around the time they first came out. MEH3000?

This one has had its share of issues over the years that we've had to deal with - no biggie. The other day, started acting weird. Intermittantly....In the middle of the 3 rinse cycles - it'll pause and just sit there. It's almost like the dial is stuck. I've done the usual checks and experiments....it's soo intermittant that I'm not sure I really care to dig any deeper for a problem (nor do I want to put money into it). It's 15 years old.....

So, been thinking about (and researching) getting another front loader. NOT a Maytag Neptune, unless they've proven to have 100+% reliability ratings, I won't even consider it.

I have a Maytag Neptune dryer that's matched to the 3.3cu feet washer.

So ironically, I wanna go atleast that big or bigger. I'm figuring I'll end up spending another $1000 on one of these things.... same price the Neptune was 15 years ago.

There's sooo many different ones out there now..... there are a lot of mold complaints. I'm not sure I'm gonna worry about that too much - because for the last 15 years on my Neptune, I simply left the door open after every load to let the inside dry out. I've never had any mold in there...ever.

Whatta ya got? Or do you recommend anything? Right now...I'm a blur.

Thanks for your help!

2. Nov 2, 2009 at 12:35 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    My Folks had a Neptune for a long time with no issues. They replaced it with another one, and it was horrible. Never went longer than a week without breaking down. They dumped it and bought a Bosch front loader (dont know the model #) and a matching dryer. First, the thing is rediculously quiet. Seems like a nice unit. They have had it for about 10 months with no issues so far.

3. Nov 2, 2009 at 12:40 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    We have the Neptune washer and drier. 8 years now with no issues. They were pricey though.

4. Nov 2, 2009 at 12:45 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Whirlpool make a good product, and that's what we have. Lemme find it for you...

5. Nov 2, 2009 at 12:47 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    If they ever have an issue with that front seal on the Bosch, look into a recall on it before reaching for the wallet.

FYI

6. Nov 2, 2009 at 12:48 PM
    warpwr

warpwr Junior Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vaughn
    S.F. Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport Access Cab
    DRL mod with switch, rear spring TSB, trans TSB, tailgate mod, snug-top shell.
    Pull the control setting dial knob off of it and check to make sure it isn't cracked or split where it engages the timer.
    If that happens you may not be actually setting it where you think you are.
    If it is cracked you can put a small ty-rap zip-tie on the knob and it will work good as new.

Otherwise, good luck on your next washing machine.

7. Nov 2, 2009 at 6:44 PM
    kxhansen

kxhansen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Staten Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl Cab SR5 6spd Silver
    WeatherTech window deflectors WeatherTech floor liners (front) and mats (rear) Alpine 9886 Pop n Lock 5300 Fold a Cover G4 GT Covers seat covers
    We purchased a Whirlpool Duet about a year ago.....we got it for just under $800 (our appliance repair guy got rid of his store, so he sells appliances for great prices). We are very happy with it....we still have our old fashion dryer (that paired up with our old top load washing machine) but since the front loaders spin out the water so much better, the old dryer is actually working less and giving better results.

We leave the washer door open and my wife uses Afresh about once a month....its a product that you use to run the machine thru a cycle (empty) and it helps to keep the machine clean and mold free......if you don't want to use the refresh, they say you can accomplish the same thing by just running the machine with some bleach (once again, about once a month).

8. Nov 3, 2009 at 4:29 AM
    AUDITECH

AUDITECH Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION

Member:
    charlotte nc
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab prerunner
    none
    Look for a sears outlet store. We got our front loads at a 1/2 the price. They sell them as scratch and dent

9. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:13 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Any product that lasts 15 years is a good product. In your case I would stick with Maytag.

The only experience I have had with front loaders is a co worker had an LG set and their washing machine started leaking so they just took it back(Costco-grandfathered).

10. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:39 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Guys!

The older Neptunes (?) had problems with the wax motor & R11 & Q6 circuits that would prevent the spin cycle from working. There's a class action lawsuit out there somewhere because of it. Ten years ago, ours went out and my husband took the circuit board to work and replace the R11 & Q6 and we bought & installed a new wax motor for the door lock mechanism. Ever since then, the washer just won't shut off, it'll tumble every 5 minutes until we open the door. It's been like that for 10 years. We never got involved with the class action lawsuit.

I actually did open the panel and look at the timer. The dial mechanism is actually a big plastic enclosed unit with a big wire harnass plugged into it. I'm not sure if you can get inside it..... didn't bother to go that far in terms of investigating. Warpwr - Did you have a cracked dial mechanism on a Neptune? Or are you referring to 'in general'?

The Neptunes were like $1000 when we bought it back then. The prices of new front loaders currently are anywhere from $800(give or take) to $1500 (give or take).

There's so many different brands out there that are good. We have Bosch dishwasher, GE refrigerator, an ancient oven ...I wish that thing would die (laugh). Whirlpool is good too. That's why I hate all this reseraching!

Scratch n Dent sounds interesting...trying to locate a warehouse or sometime I'll call & ask our local sears.

My parents also have a Neptune. They bought theirs a few years after we did. They also had the same R11/Q6 problem. My father also made the repairs himself.

Keep the ideas coming!

11. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:44 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    I did a lot of research online, reading consumer reviews, before I bought mine. I settled on a Frigidaire Affinity, front loader. Had really good consumer reviews. Bought it from a local Sears, family owned store. I've never had any issues with it yet, 2yrs old now. No mold issues as I leave the front door cracked for a bit after washes. I also use a bit of bleach on my whites so that helps a lot.
    I don't read Consumer Reports magazine BTW, these were real world consumer reviews, I just googled 'em.

12. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:49 AM
    Hot Tamale

Hot Tamale Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab 4x2
    Jandy - I have the Whirlpool Duet Sport too and have had it now for 2 years (bought it at Best Buy). Have had no problems at all with it.

13. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:56 AM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    LG direct drive washers are almost silent, and great quality.

14. Nov 3, 2009 at 6:00 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Maytag has an average reliability rating according to Consumer Reports. I attached the brand reliability ratings and product test ratings.

We bought the Samsung washer and dryer they work well and are fairly quiet. They were expensive, but we got them on sale at Lowes. We paid $2200 for the set.

Attached Files:

15. Nov 3, 2009 at 7:14 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Awesome!!
    Thank you for the Consumer Reports!!

16. Nov 3, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    No problem. If you need anymore of their reports, just let me know.

17. Nov 3, 2009 at 8:42 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i prefer the "Girlfriend" brand washing machine. they wash clothes, dishes and bathrooms, and the higher end models make sammich's! they dont even require power, just a good smack every once in a while.:D

and here comes the :crapstorm:

18. Nov 4, 2009 at 4:29 PM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    If only you knew just what I was thinking right now. ;) (laugh)

19. Nov 4, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    My gawd...I can't believe the 'cycle times' on some of these washers.

My neptune cycles at about 50 minutes with prewash.

What's the deal with the STEAM washere? Anyone have it and is it worth the extra cost?

20. Nov 4, 2009 at 4:40 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ours have the steam setting. It is supposed to help sanitize the laundry. We rarely use it on the washer, but the dryer uses steam to remove wrinkles, that is worth it if you ask me.

Products Discussed in

To Top