LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Front Loading Washing Machines....

Old 11-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Front Loading Washing Machines....

My husband and I have owned a Maytag Neptune (front loader) for about 15 years, since around the time they first came out. MEH3000?

This one has had its share of issues over the years that we've had to deal with - no biggie. The other day, started acting weird. Intermittantly....In the middle of the 3 rinse cycles - it'll pause and just sit there. It's almost like the dial is stuck. I've done the usual checks and experiments....it's soo intermittant that I'm not sure I really care to dig any deeper for a problem (nor do I want to put money into it). It's 15 years old.....

So, been thinking about (and researching) getting another front loader. NOT a Maytag Neptune, unless they've proven to have 100+% reliability ratings, I won't even consider it.

I have a Maytag Neptune dryer that's matched to the 3.3cu feet washer.

So ironically, I wanna go atleast that big or bigger. I'm figuring I'll end up spending another $1000 on one of these things.... same price the Neptune was 15 years ago.

There's sooo many different ones out there now..... there are a lot of mold complaints. I'm not sure I'm gonna worry about that too much - because for the last 15 years on my Neptune, I simply left the door open after every load to let the inside dry out. I've never had any mold in there...ever.

Whatta ya got? Or do you recommend anything? Right now...I'm a blur.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
My Folks had a Neptune for a long time with no issues. They replaced it with another one, and it was horrible. Never went longer than a week without breaking down. They dumped it and bought a Bosch front loader (dont know the model #) and a matching dryer. First, the thing is rediculously quiet. Seems like a nice unit. They have had it for about 10 months with no issues so far.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
We have the Neptune washer and drier. 8 years now with no issues. They were pricey though.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
My Folks had a Neptune for a long time with no issues. They replaced it with another one, and it was horrible. Never went longer than a week without breaking down. They dumped it and bought a Bosch front loader (dont know the model #) and a matching dryer. First, the thing is rediculously quiet. Seems like a nice unit. They have had it for about 10 months with no issues so far.
If they ever have an issue with that front seal on the Bosch, look into a recall on it before reaching for the wallet.

FYI
Old 11-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Junior Senior Member
warpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud of

Army: Motor Pool
Name: Vaughn
warpwr's Tacoma Gallery
Pull the control setting dial knob off of it and check to make sure it isn't cracked or split where it engages the timer.
If that happens you may not be actually setting it where you think you are.
If it is cracked you can put a small ty-rap zip-tie on the knob and it will work good as new.

Otherwise, good luck on your next washing machine.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
kxhansen is on a distinguished road
Name: Ken
kxhansen's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Whirpool Duet

We purchased a Whirlpool Duet about a year ago.....we got it for just under $800 (our appliance repair guy got rid of his store, so he sells appliances for great prices). We are very happy with it....we still have our old fashion dryer (that paired up with our old top load washing machine) but since the front loaders spin out the water so much better, the old dryer is actually working less and giving better results.

We leave the washer door open and my wife uses Afresh about once a month....its a product that you use to run the machine thru a cycle (empty) and it helps to keep the machine clean and mold free......if you don't want to use the refresh, they say you can accomplish the same thing by just running the machine with some bleach (once again, about once a month).
Old 11-03-2009, 04:29 AM   #8
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
Look for a sears outlet store. We got our front loads at a 1/2 the price. They sell them as scratch and dent
Old 11-03-2009, 05:13 AM   #9
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Any product that lasts 15 years is a good product. In your case I would stick with Maytag.

The only experience I have had with front loaders is a co worker had an LG set and their washing machine started leaking so they just took it back(Costco-grandfathered).
Old 11-03-2009, 05:39 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Guys!

The older Neptunes (?) had problems with the wax motor & R11 & Q6 circuits that would prevent the spin cycle from working. There's a class action lawsuit out there somewhere because of it. Ten years ago, ours went out and my husband took the circuit board to work and replace the R11 & Q6 and we bought & installed a new wax motor for the door lock mechanism. Ever since then, the washer just won't shut off, it'll tumble every 5 minutes until we open the door. It's been like that for 10 years. We never got involved with the class action lawsuit.

I actually did open the panel and look at the timer. The dial mechanism is actually a big plastic enclosed unit with a big wire harnass plugged into it. I'm not sure if you can get inside it..... didn't bother to go that far in terms of investigating. Warpwr - Did you have a cracked dial mechanism on a Neptune? Or are you referring to 'in general'?

The Neptunes were like $1000 when we bought it back then. The prices of new front loaders currently are anywhere from $800(give or take) to $1500 (give or take).

There's so many different brands out there that are good. We have Bosch dishwasher, GE refrigerator, an ancient oven ...I wish that thing would die (laugh). Whirlpool is good too. That's why I hate all this reseraching!

Scratch n Dent sounds interesting...trying to locate a warehouse or sometime I'll call & ask our local sears.

My parents also have a Neptune. They bought theirs a few years after we did. They also had the same R11/Q6 problem. My father also made the repairs himself.

Keep the ideas coming!
Old 11-03-2009, 05:44 AM   #11
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
I did a lot of research online, reading consumer reviews, before I bought mine. I settled on a Frigidaire Affinity, front loader. Had really good consumer reviews. Bought it from a local Sears, family owned store. I've never had any issues with it yet, 2yrs old now. No mold issues as I leave the front door cracked for a bit after washes. I also use a bit of bleach on my whites so that helps a lot.
I don't read Consumer Reports magazine BTW, these were real world consumer reviews, I just googled 'em.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:49 AM   #12
Hot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pat
Hot Tamale's Tacoma Gallery
Jandy - I have the Whirlpool Duet Sport too and have had it now for 2 years (bought it at Best Buy). Have had no problems at all with it.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:56 AM   #13
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
LG direct drive washers are almost silent, and great quality.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:00 AM   #14
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Maytag has an average reliability rating according to Consumer Reports. I attached the brand reliability ratings and product test ratings.

We bought the Samsung washer and dryer they work well and are fairly quiet. They were expensive, but we got them on sale at Lowes. We paid $2200 for the set.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Front-loading washing machines.pdf (757.1 KB, 420 views)
File Type: pdf Front-loading washing machines reliability.pdf (77.6 KB, 173 views)
Old 11-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #15
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Maytag has an average reliability rating according to Consumer Reports. I attached the brand reliability ratings and product test ratings.

We bought the Samsung washer and dryer they work well and are fairly quiet. They were expensive, but we got them on sale at Lowes. We paid $2200 for the set.
Awesome!!
Thank you for the Consumer Reports!!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #16
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Awesome!!
Thank you for the Consumer Reports!!
No problem. If you need anymore of their reports, just let me know.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:42 AM   #17
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
i prefer the "Girlfriend" brand washing machine. they wash clothes, dishes and bathrooms, and the higher end models make sammich's! they dont even require power, just a good smack every once in a while.

and here comes the
Old 11-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #18
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
i prefer the "Girlfriend" brand washing machine. they wash clothes, dishes and bathrooms, and the higher end models make sammich's! they dont even require power, just a good smack every once in a while.

and here comes the
If only you knew just what I was thinking right now. (laugh)
Old 11-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #19
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
My gawd...I can't believe the 'cycle times' on some of these washers.

My neptune cycles at about 50 minutes with prewash.

What's the deal with the STEAM washere? Anyone have it and is it worth the extra cost?
Old 11-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #20

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Ours have the steam setting. It is supposed to help sanitize the laundry. We rarely use it on the washer, but the dryer uses steam to remove wrinkles, that is worth it if you ask me.