1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone else want to leave Cali as bad as I do?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by bobwilson1977, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:43 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    My experience at the superior court building I went to for a minor traffic offense was just yet one more reason why I want to leave this state. I was told to show up early- which I did. There was already a HUGE line out the door. But before I even got there, there was nowhere to park except their parking lot, which was almost full and they only took cash, and didn't make change. What a bunch of bullshit.

So anyway, I get in line. I swear 90% of the folks in like looked fresh from the ghetto. We were ushered in. They only took the first 50 people for court. The rest of us waited in line. The building looks like it was built in the 70's. The interior is literally falling apart and it stank. I must have waited 2 hours in line so I could schedule another court date, only to find out that the next one I could attend would be in February. So I said fuck it and just paid the full fine instead.

Its not just this one thing. Its a LOT of things. Despite the housing bust, houses are still way overpriced and incredibly, people are still paying out the nose for even a small house. The state just raised taxes again on incomes. Everything is overcrowded- the grocery stores, events, downtown, parking lots, movie theaters... and so on. There's just too many damned people EVERYWHERE and they're all out there competing against each other.

I'm actually considering just simply packing up and moving to Texas and find a job there. I somehow don't see things getting any better or more affordable here. I'm fed up with it! Anyone else feel the same?

2. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    I'm with ya. Where did you go to court?

3. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:46 AM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    I'm still young and haven't experienced half the things you have probably, but I really enjoy it here.

4. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:47 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    Fuck this state!

5. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:48 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    you know, Lex Luthor had a plan to get rid of Cali in superman...

6. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:48 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    Ya... its a great place when you're young. But when you get married and start looking at how much you'll need to put down on a house, suddenly its not so fantastic anymore. Pretty much anything decent in my area is around $500,000. We make a pretty decent income. But its still not enough to buy and not be putting ourselves into a financially risky situation come one of both of us lost our jobs.

7. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    18 PreRunner TRD OffRoad DCSB
    Love the state, not the government. But at least my diploma is signed by Arnold, thats worth something, right?

8. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    California... Proof that Tax and Spend does not work.

9. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:54 AM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    Yes I feel like leaving all the time but whem I'm out of CA for more then a few weeks I couldn't wait to go back.

10. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:54 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    What do you know Bob, we finally agree on something. I loved this place when I was younger. Go to the beach, the mountains, hot chicks everywhere. Tons of fun stuff to do, but then it hits you. Now im older, married, paying bills, starting a family. I cant afford a house, apartments are expensive as hell. They tax the crap out of us. I hate the politics. We have one of the largest populations but the state is broke as hell. Overcrowded and over run by crime. I wish I could convince the wife to move, but that wont happen. One day, I hope, I will leave this god awful state. Until then, Im gonna be an angry, bitter, gun owner on the edge of a breakdown. Dont piss me off!!

11. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:58 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    Guess for me my perspective is different. I'm originally from TN and I can tell you that comparing TN to CA is like night and day. For one, TN doesn't have income tax. Secondly, their freeways, schools, public buildings, and even rest stops are either new or really well-maintained. Thirdly, you can buy a pretty nice house with an actual big yard or even some acreage for under $200,000. Lastly, there's only 6 million people in the whole state so you don't have to deal with all those crowds.

I must admit that Cali has been kind of good to me job and money wise. The weather is also nice here. But god the cost of living just about makes all of that totally non relevant. With what I've saved I can live about 200 times better just about anywhere else. The hell with Cali.

12. Nov 4, 2009 at 10:01 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    I don't know...San Diego is pretty cool. ;)

It's a major city, of course there are going to be a lot of people! I don't mind though, coming from New York, I'm used to it. :p

13. Nov 4, 2009 at 10:04 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    California has it's ups and downs. Lately a lot more downs. Yeah, the way the court system works sucks but it's probably the same at every state, just less crowded. Anything that has to do with the court system seems to be a task. They want you to pay your fines right then and there but if they actually owe you money, it will take 6-8 weeks to refund you. Yeah the taxes were raised, the houses are expensive, blah blah... but I still enjoy being in the center of everything. An hour away from the beaches, two from the mountains. Although I get what you're saying, it would be nice to live a simpler life.

14. Nov 4, 2009 at 10:05 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    You young guys... again , I hear ya. When I was a young-un like you all, I too thought the state was pretty kick ass. I actually like the natural beauty of the state. I think the rural parts of it are a lot nicer than the cities which I could do without. But there's no work in those areas. 90% of the state's area is totally rural and largely conservative. The rest is ridiculously liberal and expensive. There are two extremes and not a lot inbetween. The same with class. There's a lot of filthy rich, a boatload of poor, and a barely surviving middle class. Its like Brazil rather than a US state.

Again- I liked it when I was younger. But when some of you all get married... let me know how you feel then.

15. Nov 4, 2009 at 10:06 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    I want to move back to New York. :p

16. Nov 4, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    i hear what you are saying. i am tired of socal because of the cost of living and the overcrowding (and then peoples attitudes and behaviors because of that). i would love to go elsewhere, but i have a really kick ass job that would be hard to give up. maybe my priorites will change if the state gets worse :(

17. Nov 4, 2009 at 10:23 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    That's the thing. We have had good jobs as well. They make it tempting to stay because you wonder how you can do better anywhere else. I started making a decent income 3-4 years ago and immediately started saving. The reasoning is if we save enough, which we pretty much have, we can leave, buy a house almost for cash elsewhere, then there's not as much of a reason to have such a great job.

Secondly, incomes are less in other states. But for example in TX, there's no income tax. So let's say you make $100k in Cali. In reality almost $35k-$40k will be taxed away. In Texas let's say you make $60k. Its actually the same income as 100k in Cali. That and the cost of living in TX is 1/4th the cost of most metros in Cali.

18. Nov 4, 2009 at 10:27 AM
    Acill

Acill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Port Hueneme, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    I grew up here, turned 17 and left for Arizona one day, just got in the truck and left... I graduated high school and went in the navy, and now// Well I am back and stuck here! I'd leave if I had somethign better lined up when I retire from the navy in another 3 years.

19. Nov 4, 2009 at 10:32 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Aha, found your problem! :D

btw, I've been to almost all the states and I still like California, Florida, and NY best. I know what you mean about TX though, houses are cheap there but just not for me. I'd rather live in a rural area in CA but like you said, the jobs are in the city. I would hate to commute that far.

20. Nov 4, 2009 at 10:34 AM
    ruler

ruler Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal - Los Angeles - SGV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma, TRD Sport, DC 4x4
    Fox Extended Travel Coilovers 2.5 (front), Fox 2.0 shocks (rear),Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expedition leaf pack, AllPro front plate style bumper,BHLM, GrillCraft MX series Grill, ATX Thug 17inch rims, Toyo Open Country MT (295,70,17), TRD CAI,Rear smoked LED tail lights, slimcubby HID Head Lights (50w 1200k), ADVMonster 60 Series 3600 Lumen LED Off Road Lights , Pioneer Avic-F700bt (navigation,head unit)
    Count me in I know just how you feel, its like California cant get enough of your money, no matter how much of our money they get its never enough.

cant balance the budget ? thats ok just double the registration

cant pay these high ranking state officials ? thats ok we will just increase income tax

cant pay for more cops ? thats ok just add another red light camera on every corner

California is one of the most beautiful places but the way things are headed FUCK THIS PLACE !!!

Products Discussed in

To Top