1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driving in Snow Help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Slick8810, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Nov 21, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    Slick8810

Slick8810 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    3" lift, 20% tint, billet grille
    I was wondering if there are is any advice i need to know for driving in the snow. I have never driven in the snow and was wondering if there is anything i should be careful about considering ive never driven in snow living in FL. Were taking a trip to Gatlinburg TN the day after christmas and im trying to prepare myself incase it does snow. Were taking the 4x4 4runner so i know the 4wd will help. Should i buy tire chains?

2. Nov 21, 2009 at 6:46 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    yea chains and put some weight in the bed if you can, i think they will stop you if you dont have chains

3. Nov 21, 2009 at 6:47 PM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    You certainly don't need chains for what little skiff of snow TN might get. When it does snow, people get dumb on the roads. They will drive as if there is no snow at all. Just take it slow and get a good feel for it. If you start to fish tail that's when it's a good time for the 4x4.

4. Nov 21, 2009 at 6:47 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Remember that 4x4 helps you get going, but it does nothing when you hit the brakes. You still must drive at a safe speed. Here in Reno, we don't get a lot of snow, but when we do, most of the vehicles I see upside down in a ditch are 4x4s. Have a safe trip and take your time.

5. Nov 21, 2009 at 6:48 PM
    Slick8810

Member:
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    yeah i bet your pretty used to snow being in colorado

6. Nov 21, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    cheehab

cheehab I bleed Black and Gold

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Winter Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax
    4x4 is huge but it doesn't help you stop. Is it a newer 4 runner with traction control? That system works great. My best advice is to be gentle with all of your controls. Easy on the gas, brakes and steering wheel. If you're going to be in remote areas, I might bring emergency supplies like blankets and food just in case the worst happens. I watch my thermometer pretty closely in winter, you need to drive differently at 30 degrees than you do at 40 degrees. Take it easy in the snow but you'll get the hang of it in a bit. Chains are overkill IMO, but you won't get stuck!

7. Nov 21, 2009 at 6:52 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    If you don't get chain, just take it slow. Don't get in a hurry and remember--Gear down to slow the truck. Jamming the brakes will be adverse. :)

8. Nov 21, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    Slick8810

Member:
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    yep its an 06 4runner sport 4wd with traction control and all that. if you have it in 4wd you can turn off traction control too which i probably wont want to.

9. Nov 21, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    just take it easy. drive smooth, no abrupt maneuvers or rapid acceleration. Easy on the brakes, and leave lots of space between the car in front of you. If you start a drift, stay calm, turn into the slide and kinda go with it. Jamming on the brakes will do more harm than good.

10. Nov 21, 2009 at 7:11 PM
    NewMexiTaco

NewMexiTaco Abron Cabron

Member:
    First Name:
    Abraham
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    Weathertech mats; Wet Okole seat covers; Kobalt Lowpro truck box,(sitting in the shed) Snugtop Hi-liner camper shell; AFE Pro Dry air filter, Tailgate Hoseclamp mod; 5100s all around, Light Racing UCAs, OME 885 coils, OME Dakar Leafs, CB Drop, Driveline spacer. Epoxy Satoshi; Redline Hood Struts. 4x Mil Spec. bed D rings; Brute Force Fab custom DCLB Hybrid Sliders, ARB w/ Warn M8000 wench, Diff Breather mod, Alpine Deck w/ ipod cable. Iphone ziptie to rearview mirror 4wd-cam mod!
    go slow, don't do huge correction moves, and downshift to slow down, while 'pumping' the brakes.. i.e. dont jam on the brakes, tap them gradually depressing a little harder each 'pump'.keep your wheels as straight as possible. dont hit the brakes on ice patches, just wait till you're off the patch. the best thing i do every winter is go find an empty parking lot (without obstacles) ... and go throw some broadies... or donuts, or what ever you want to call em. i like my ski area parking lot in the evening during a storm, after all the gapers are gone.... that shits fun! (just dont slide side ways into a dry patch... thats bad for a toy.
    But seeing as youre in florida, thats like you giving me deepsea fishing or surfing tips when I am in NM.
    have fun in TN! youll be fine

11. Nov 21, 2009 at 9:08 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    drive slow homie.

12. Nov 21, 2009 at 9:11 PM
    kroggy

kroggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 3.4 4x4
    Grill Guard. PIAA 520's. And ...
    Make sure you have good rubber, bald tires will just spin.

13. Nov 21, 2009 at 9:12 PM
    BravesFan

BravesFan The MOST Badass Offroad Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Brentwood, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Super rock crawler
    Trust me there is only a tiny bit of snow in Gatlinburg around christmas....it shouldn't be a problem at all. O and make sure you make a trip to dollywood...its pretty cool around christmas time

14. Nov 21, 2009 at 9:55 PM
    Griztaco

Griztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    when you need to slow suddenly, tap your brakes repeatedly rather than a long direct push, this will keep your tires from locking up.

Here in Idaho I carry two shovels and chains for all four, but this is because I'm out in the woods so much. You should check TN state chain laws.

Snow is not too big a deal, just follows others advice and don't tailgate and give yourself more room to stop and drive slow. The killer is black ice (such as when it rains, then at night the water on the road freezes), or freezing rain.

15. Nov 21, 2009 at 10:58 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    i was always told everything everyone said above... and.... drive like that old 90 year old lady that holds up all the traffic in the world... kinda how i look at it... if they wanna pass me... i just say... il see ya in about 2 miles in the ditch! :D

16. Nov 22, 2009 at 5:26 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    I drive in snow all the time. Listen to RelentlessTaco, it's more about being smooth and doing nothing abruptly. No sudden braking, steering, or accelerating. All three of those make bad things happen. When I drift, I steer into it and even slightly accelerate. It pulls you back straight faster than coasting.

#1 though, practice! It's all about feel. Next time it snows, get in a big, open parking lot after the store closes and break it loose, correct it, break it loose, correct it, etc.

17. Nov 22, 2009 at 5:31 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    By the way, I only use chains in the nastiest conditions. They're a pain in the butt to put on and if you are oh so delicate, 9 times out of 10 you don't need them. If you do go the chain route though, I'll testify, they work great. If you do highway stuff only, just get some s-class cables. They are easier to put on than chains, drive nicely and really improve traction. Only get heavy duty chains if you're planning to do some wheeling in heavy snow.

18. Nov 23, 2009 at 8:21 PM
    goforlow

goforlow Middle aged old man

Member:
    Eau Claire, WI
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 AC V6 6SP TRD OR SUPER WHITE
    working on it
    I have an '04 4runner and it is damn near like driving on rails with the traction control and ABS. DO NOT shut off the traction control in 4WD if you have little to no experience in snow (which you stated).

Also and more importantly DO NOT PUMP ABS BRAKES!! (not yelling, just emphasizing my point) Pumping ABS brakes completely defeats the purpose of the system. ABS brake systems do the pumping action at a much faster rate and more efficiently than most humans can. (read 99.9% of those behind the wheel)

I have driven alot of different vehicles on just about every type of surface around. The '03 to '09 4runner, in my opinion, is the best handling vehicle I have driven that was not purpose built, like race cars and rock crawlers!

19. Nov 24, 2009 at 12:00 AM
    j_cyrus

j_cyrus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rickman TN

Don't worry, we don't get a lot of snow in TN. Maybe 10-12 inches(where I am from anyway, I am about 100 miles from Gatlinburg) a year IF we're lucky.

Just drive slow, take it easy and have fun.

P.S. - Drive the hell out of the go karts, they're the best part about Gatlinburg imo.

20. Nov 24, 2009 at 3:58 AM
    Canadian Max

Canadian Max Yamaha

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    In the Garage
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4X4
    2010 TRD Sport 4 door Speedway Blue 4" Nerf Bars Vent visors Weathertechs Mats Hella 500 HID Mod Bull Bar Devil Horns Eclipse AVN 726E Energy Speakers
    Your kidding....Tire chains for a 4x4???? Wow, I don't think I have ever seen tire chains for sale around my neck of the woods, and boy do we ever get snow. Best advice I ever heard for winter was to Slow down, take it easy.
    Good Luck on your expedition.

Products Discussed in

To Top