Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

cleaning laminate flooring??

Old 11-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
cleaning laminate flooring??

the house we bought had laminate/pergo flooring thruout most of the rooms....and besides the narmal sweep/vacuum.......whats the best and safest way to clean them?

had thought about getting a steam mop for them, but not sure how good that would be for them.

also.........ways to get scuffs and such out,if anyone know, would be a great help as well. thanks.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
The best way, IMO, is good old fashion elbow grease using a mop, bucket, and SOAP OIL. Its a soap designed to clean hardwood and laminate flooring and makes everything super shiny. I use it all the time. Makes my wooden floors super clean.
cool..thanks for the info. i didnt just wanna start using something that could possibly mess up the finish or get between where the pieces join and cause something to swell or crack.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
Love the Tick!
Gingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to all

Name: G
Gingrbredman's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of laminate floor cleaners are nothing more than vinegar and water. I know a lot of people who use a 20 oz spreay bottle with one once of white vinegar, and the rest water. Just enough to get the floor clean, but not too much acid to worry about on the floor.

And I agree, no steam or large amounts of water. the last thing you need is the floor warping.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
I wouldn't recommend steam cleaning wood flooring. That rapid heat then cooling might cause things to warp and bubble.

Just stick with the mop and soap oil and you'll be good to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingrbredman View Post
A lot of laminate floor cleaners are nothing more than vinegar and water. I know a lot of people who use a 20 oz spreay bottle with one once of white vinegar, and the rest water. Just enough to get the floor clean, but not too much acid to worry about on the floor.

And I agree, no steam or large amounts of water. the last thing you need is the floor warping.
thanks. thats kinda what i was thinking.......especially about the steaming........but isnt laminate a synthetic type thing?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
thanks. thats kinda what i was thinking.......especially about the steaming........but isnt laminate a synthetic type thing?
The surface of laminate flooring is a highly detailed photographic image that is overlaid with transparent, extremely durable plastic laminate (similar to the material used for countertops). It isn't until you actually touch the grout joints or scan for natural imperfections that you realize the flooring is not what it appears to be.

The base material is a melamine/aluminum oxide/fiberboard composite product, often medium-density fiberboard (MDF). A backing layer is then added to prevent moisture seepage, which can damage the planks.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
07speedwayblue is a glorious beacon of light07speedwayblue is a glorious beacon of light07speedwayblue is a glorious beacon of light07speedwayblue is a glorious beacon of light07speedwayblue is a glorious beacon of light07speedwayblue is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: DAV
Name: michael
07speedwayblue's Tacoma Gallery
I install flooring for a living and you do want to use a damp mop/cloth and wip it down and dry it as you go. Vinagar/water , or murphy`s wood soap, or a product specific cleaners. We install alot of shaw, manington and a few other big name flooring companies and they make their own brand clears. Just don`t use alot of water and wipe it up and dry it fast. even if you spile something wipe it up fast. Once moister gets between the board joint it will start to swell up if the water stays there to long.. I have all hardwoods in my homes and they should be care for the same way!! Didn`t see your other question about scuffs, if the scuffs / scratches are deep and can`t be buffed out, then there`s not much you can do. I do hit those types of scratches on my own floors with some wood stain, stain sticks, works pretty good. If they are really bad then you would need to take apart the floor ( if it`s the type that snaps/locks together) and replace the board/boards. Sorry for the mis--spelled words , my son 8 yr old was trying to talk to me as I was trying to type.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
want1bad is just really nicewant1bad is just really nicewant1bad is just really nicewant1bad is just really nice

Name: TJ
want1bad's Tacoma Gallery
hey man if your close to pineville nc then you go up to american products inc and pick up a stone tile and laminate floor cleaner kit that will have all the stuff you need to clean the floor in it for about $22.00. thats the company i work for but just at the raleigh branch and we are a distributor for harwood flooring and all the sand and finish material to install also. oh yeah and the kit is made by a company called bona.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
We have several people in the neighborhood that have various laminate floors. Almost everyone uses everyday cleaners and their floors have lost the luster even though they are much newer than ours. My wife uses a cleaner from the place that we bought the floor from. Several years later and it still looks like new. It is the first thing out of their mouth when they come over..."how do keep your floor so shiney like new?"