1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

cleaning laminate flooring??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by tacomaman06, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Nov 29, 2009 at 9:35 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 [OP] Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    the house we bought had laminate/pergo flooring thruout most of the rooms....and besides the narmal sweep/vacuum.......whats the best and safest way to clean them?

had thought about getting a steam mop for them, but not sure how good that would be for them.

also.........ways to get scuffs and such out,if anyone know, would be a great help as well. thanks.

2. Nov 29, 2009 at 9:42 AM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    cool..thanks for the info. i didnt just wanna start using something that could possibly mess up the finish or get between where the pieces join and cause something to swell or crack.

3. Nov 29, 2009 at 10:08 AM
    Gingrbredman

Gingrbredman Love the Tick!

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab Sport 4WD
    A lot of laminate floor cleaners are nothing more than vinegar and water. I know a lot of people who use a 20 oz spreay bottle with one once of white vinegar, and the rest water. Just enough to get the floor clean, but not too much acid to worry about on the floor.

And I agree, no steam or large amounts of water. the last thing you need is the floor warping.

4. Nov 29, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    thanks. thats kinda what i was thinking.......especially about the steaming........but isnt laminate a synthetic type thing?

5. Nov 29, 2009 at 11:17 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    The surface of laminate flooring is a highly detailed photographic image that is overlaid with transparent, extremely durable plastic laminate (similar to the material used for countertops). It isn't until you actually touch the grout joints or scan for natural imperfections that you realize the flooring is not what it appears to be.

The base material is a melamine/aluminum oxide/fiberboard composite product, often medium-density fiberboard (MDF). A backing layer is then added to prevent moisture seepage, which can damage the planks.

6. Nov 29, 2009 at 11:23 AM
    07speedwayblue

07speedwayblue Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    nineveh, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    07tacoma sport 4x4 doublecab
    Jason Rage lid, husky floorliners, Procomp 6" stage 1 lift , bilstein 5100 upfront, 33x12.50r17 MT ATZ tires MT 17x9 Classic Locks,stainless steel brake lines,N-Fab ss nerf bars,smittybuilt grille saver, Amp bed extender,Mbrp cool dual t409 exhaust. KCHiLites Daylighter Driving Lights 6", Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD, HD Tunner, Rear Camera, Focal K2 Power 6.5" Component Speakers Front/Back, Infinity Kappa Four and Kappa One Amps, Infinity Kappa 10" DVC Subs,PowerStop Drilled/Slotted Rotors ,PowerStop Heavy Duty Towing Brake Pads, Blue Painted calipers.
    I install flooring for a living and you do want to use a damp mop/cloth and wip it down and dry it as you go. Vinagar/water , or murphy`s wood soap, or a product specific cleaners. We install alot of shaw, manington and a few other big name flooring companies and they make their own brand clears. Just don`t use alot of water and wipe it up and dry it fast. even if you spile something wipe it up fast. Once moister gets between the board joint it will start to swell up if the water stays there to long.. I have all hardwoods in my homes and they should be care for the same way!! Didn`t see your other question about scuffs, if the scuffs / scratches are deep and can`t be buffed out, then there`s not much you can do. I do hit those types of scratches on my own floors with some wood stain, stain sticks, works pretty good. If they are really bad then you would need to take apart the floor ( if it`s the type that snaps/locks together) and replace the board/boards. Sorry for the mis--spelled words , my son 8 yr old was trying to talk to me as I was trying to type.

7. Nov 29, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    want1bad

want1bad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    north carolina
    Vehicle:
    03dc4x4black
    stock for now
    hey man if your close to pineville nc then you go up to american products inc and pick up a stone tile and laminate floor cleaner kit that will have all the stuff you need to clean the floor in it for about $22.00. thats the company i work for but just at the raleigh branch and we are a distributor for harwood flooring and all the sand and finish material to install also. oh yeah and the kit is made by a company called bona.

8. Nov 29, 2009 at 12:30 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    We have several people in the neighborhood that have various laminate floors. Almost everyone uses everyday cleaners and their floors have lost the luster even though they are much newer than ours. My wife uses a cleaner from the place that we bought the floor from. Several years later and it still looks like new. It is the first thing out of their mouth when they come over..."how do keep your floor so shiney like new?"

Products Discussed in

To Top