1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

need a few words of wisdom from the tw'ers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by mntbiker2008, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Dec 28, 2009 at 1:09 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 [OP] First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    thank you. I have been really considering commercial diving and things of that sort. i am trying to find a school that will offer this kind of education.

2. Dec 28, 2009 at 1:11 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    graduate in forensics and get a job. while you are making money, study something else that can make you more money. just keep working at it

3. Dec 28, 2009 at 1:21 PM
    drjohnson36

drjohnson36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner SR5 DC
    If I were you, I wouldn't make getting your EMT-B your primary focus unless you're positive you can land a paid firefighter job, or you plan on going to Paramedic school.

I went and got my EMT-B straight outta high school, got involved with the fire department, and soon learned that these days, in order to land a paid firefighter job, you either need to be non-white, have someone in your family already in the fire department, or have a Paramedic cert plus a few years of volunteer time... or you have to be really lucky.

Now I'm going to community college in the hopes of transferring to get a B.S. in Psychology.

4. Dec 29, 2009 at 12:42 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    I can identify pretty readily with what you've said. After my second year in school I had no idea what I wanted to do either. All of my friends were pre-med, and had this great 10 year plan of graduation, med school, residency, then practicing medicine. It's tough feeling like you have no idea what you want to do. I'd echo everyone who has said it is a bad idea to take time off. I took a reduced class load, did summer school, and worked from my second semester sophomore year until graduation. It took five years, but ultimately the work experience was really valuable. None of my classmates had 3 years of work experience at anything. At best they had several disparate internships which isn't bad, but it doesn't show that they have stuck with something for three years. Take some different classes that aren't related to your major to see how you like them. At worst you'll have some duds, at best maybe you'll find something you love and change your major, but the in between is that they'll break up monotony of studying the same thing all the time. I majored in computer science, and I couldn't stand taking all programming classes, so I took 3 semesters of photography and a few literature courses to keep me sane. All in all I know it sucks, but hang in there, and best of luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top